Shelter video. (good news)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Chris Fraize » April 27th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to share a new video with the board. The dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier named Adrian. She is for adoption at the AWS in Kennebunk Maine. (See link below)

Chris was asked if he could help with Adrian’s dog aggression problems in hopes that it would make it easier for her to find a home. She could not be walked near any other dogs at the shelter and used every opportunity to try and "get" another dog.

Chris spent about 20 minutes at the shelter with her and most of that was talking to the staff about changes they could make to help the problem. Then Chris took the leash with Adrian. (Flat collar and 6' leash).

http://www.madmaine.com/adrianaws/

P.S. Adrian is for adoption at the link below.
Chris says she would make an OUTSTANDING working dog!

http://www.animalwelfaresociety.org/adp ... _dogs.html

Take care,
April Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby kymn25 » April 27th, 2006, 5:55 pm

:jawdrop: That is awesome

Chris
:bowDown:
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » April 27th, 2006, 6:06 pm

WOW! Simply amazing! :helloClap:

Chris -- can you please share some of the techniques on how you got her to this point?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ellie@ny » April 27th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Wow! That's pretty amazing!!!!I'm soo happy I will go to your seminar!
I see the light.......... :D
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » April 27th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Amazing!!!

(now all the dogs in my house are barking!)
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 27th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Soon will appear two large boxes with holes in them delivered by UPS. Accept the deliveries & send them back when done. Thank you!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 27th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Holy hell, do you walk on water too??? :wink:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Chris Fraize » April 27th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Chris -- can you please share some of the techniques on how you got her to this point?

Hello Marine (I don’t know your real name.),

Training and technique varies from dog to dog, situation to situation and handler to handler. It can be VERY difficult to try to explain (over the internet) what I did with Adrian or how you (or anyone) could apply it to their dog. I can tell you I am NOT a cookie cutter trainer and I always try to see things from the dogs point of view.

I prefer to teach “Hands on”. Show and tell, if you will. Mostly my training has to do with “reading” the dog then applying or teaching in a way the dog can understand. When the handler “explains” in the correct manner things can be understood by the dog more quickly and easily. Dogs are very efficient. If you can get them see that it is easier to do things your way, they will almost always succeed! When they succeed, everyone is happier!

There are so many training and behavior posts I would like to help with but it can be dangerous to give advice over the Internet. Things can be easily misinterpreted and applied incorrectly. I wish some of these folks lived closer. I love to help. I hope this (kind of) answers your question!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » April 27th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Chris Fraize wrote:Hello Marine (I don’t know your real name.),

Training and technique varies from dog to dog, situation to situation and handler to handler. It can be VERY difficult to try to explain (over the internet) what I did with Adrian or how you (or anyone) could apply it to their dog. I can tell you I am NOT a cookie cutter trainer and I always try to see things from the dogs point of view.

I prefer to teach “Hands on”. Show and tell, if you will. Mostly my training has to do with “reading” the dog then applying or teaching in a way the dog can understand. When the handler “explains” in the correct manner things can be understood by the dog more quickly and easily. Dogs are very efficient. If you can get them see that it is easier to do things your way, they will almost always succeed! When they succeed, everyone is happier!

There are so many training and behavior posts I would like to help with but it can be dangerous to give advice over the Internet. Things can be easily misinterpreted and applied incorrectly. I wish some of these folks lived closer. I love to help. I hope this (kind of) answers your question!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize

Hey, Chris --

Thanks for answering, particularly in the above "bolded" quotes. I do understand what you mean about the Internet and how people can misinterpret any advice given.

I have to say, it's a joy to watch you work with the dogs, especially when I see the dog's mind "click" with the training. I've learned (and applied) a lot already and look forward to your videos.

I would love to visit your facility one day soon, if you'll have me -- I have a thick-headed Mastiff/pit that could use some guidance. :wink:

Thanks again!

Jenifer
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hoyden » April 27th, 2006, 11:18 pm

I am really looking forward to the Seminar in May.

Me and the other CT PBT members may have to start a once or twice a month car pool to Maine.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Chris Fraize » April 28th, 2006, 12:17 am

Jenifer,

There are still some spots left for the seminar. You are always welcome.
http://www.k9sts.com/events

Take care,
April Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » April 28th, 2006, 8:29 am

Do it, do it, come to the seminar damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » April 28th, 2006, 9:14 am

I don't have anyone to watch the other dogs that weekend, dammit. :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 28th, 2006, 9:15 am

Hoyden wrote:I am really looking forward to the Seminar in May.

Me and the other CT PBT members may have to start a once or twice a month car pool to Maine.

Great idea! :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » April 28th, 2006, 10:36 am

impressive.... (big surprise! :wink: )

Did you use a flat collar or a training collar with her?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » April 28th, 2006, 11:25 am

Marinepits wrote:I don't have anyone to watch the other dogs that weekend, dammit. :(

Scrounge someone up!! I found someone to cover the whole damn kennel, and Wally (and Venus if she's still here), you can find someone for 3 dogs :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby 04100824 » April 28th, 2006, 11:30 am

I wish I lived closer!

Screw shipping 2 boxes with holes in them to this guy! I'm gonna send one big box to your door. Please read the instructions on the side, climb in and I'll see you when UPS returns.
Confident Young Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 28th, 2006, 1:59 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
Marinepits wrote:I don't have anyone to watch the other dogs that weekend, dammit. :(

Scrounge someone up!! I found someone to cover the whole damn kennel, and Wally (and Venus if she's still here), you can find someone for 3 dogs :)

The only two people I trust to watch them already have big plans for that weekend -- one is moving her mom up from Florida, and the other is going away. :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Chris Fraize » April 28th, 2006, 3:17 pm

We used a 6' leash and a flat collar. I am sorry that you and Demo won't be at the seminar! Have fun on holiday!

Take care,
April Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » April 28th, 2006, 3:45 pm

:bowDown:

What can I say?? And all on a flat collar! Outstanding!!

Important question: Did I see you kiss that dog's head?? :wink3:

I think I'm coming to the seminar, but dogless. Is pre-registration necessary, because I'm still not quite sure how I'm juggling this . . . :|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Next

Return to Training & Behavior