People Never Freakin' Learn....

Postby BigDogBuford » August 18th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Officers rescue pets from hot cars

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/ ... ml?rss?npc

SEATTLE – The Seattle Animal Shelter reports that over the weekend, five pets - including one that was already dead - were rescued by officers from hot cars, and with more hot weather predicted, they are once again pleading with pet owners to protect their pets from heat.

“We may sound like a broken record… but we can’t say it often enough that pets should not be left in cars when temperatures are even in the 70s. We are sending out an urgent message to all pet owners to be especially careful to protect your pets,” says Don Jordan, director of the Seattle Animal Shelter.

Using its “Animobile,” the shelter will demonstrate the heating effect of enclosed vehicles. The van will be at the shelter for the remainder of the week. The “Animobile” will be outfitted with a large visible thermometer to demonstrate exactly how hot a vehicle can get.

In direct sunlight cars turn into lethal ovens, reaching fatal temperatures of 130 degrees or more within just a few minutes. Even dogs left locked in cars in the shade with the windows cracked on hot days are at risk of brain damage or death.

Jordan advises avoiding trips where you have to leave the pet in the car. “It’s not worth the risk,” he says.

Jordan offers the following tips for protecting pets during hot weather:

- Never leave dogs or cats unattended in a closed, locked car. Temperatures can exceed 130 degrees in a matter of minutes. Animals do not perspire like humans; they cool themselves through their lungs by panting. Hot air can lead to brain damage or death.

- Also, be aware that vinyl seats in vehicles get hot under animals’ feet and prevent them from perspiring through their paws. Remember, with the movement of the sun, a vehicle originally parked in the shade may soon be in direct sunlight.

- Never leave your animal chained or penned up directly in sunlight. Provide a shady area where the animal can retreat, such as a dog house, porch or shady tree, and always provide cool water.

- If you must leave an animal indoors, open the windows, keep a fan running, provide plenty of water, and if possible, leave them in a cool location.

- Avoid overexerting your animal in hot weather. Exercise is fine when taken in moderation, but obesity, old age, underlying disease and previous bouts of heat stroke can predispose an animal to the condition.

Pet owners can be held criminally liable for committing cruelty to animals if a pet dies, or is found suffering from heat prostration.

If you see an animal that may be in need of assistance or if you have questions, contact the Seattle Animal Shelter at (206) 386-PETS (7387).
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby LMM » August 18th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Ugh it makes me so angry :cuss:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » August 19th, 2009, 3:17 am

I actually haven't seen a dog in a hot car here for a while, I even have papers to stick under windshield wipers :devil: But no, nobody to flame for idiotic decisions :sad2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » August 19th, 2009, 11:12 am

Doesn't surprise me. We always have stories of people leaving their sleeping toddler in the hot car while they "run into the mall for a few things."
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to All the news that's fit to print