Do you really think it will help?

Postby madremissy » August 14th, 2009, 3:57 pm

First and formost I am in no way defending, supporting, agreeing or trying to start an arguement about what Vick did. I am just wondering and asking if you really think boycotting all the main sponsors is the best way to voice opinions.

This is just clearly my opinion on the situation and I am just asking for more of an explanation as to how it will help.
In my area I have two distribution centersfor the beer companies. I have a distribution center for Frito-Lay. I have 4 Verizon Wireless stores. In each of these places I know of at least 2 people who work in each. I have many young men who are drivers for the beer companies.
As I see it if these companies products are boycotted then it is not going to do anything to make Vick get released from the NFL. I see it as that it will start at the bottom of the company and THEN MAYBE eventually work it's way up. So that means that my friends and family will have their jobs on the line because if their is no product to distribute they will not have a route to do and then eventually no job. My town is already in the sh*tter when it comes to gaining employment and I really don't think that it is fair to put the employees of these companies jobs on the line for something they have no say so about.
Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking and explain to me how the boycot of these sponsors will help. I would like to show my support in my feelings about Vick but this just scares me.
Remember I am not a good speaker or debator so don't flame me too bad. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2009, 4:03 pm

When Vick first got arrested, Nike dorpped him like a hot potato - because they didn't want their brand attached to someone like that.

That is the idea here. The message being sent is "I won't buy Pepsi if you give money to the Eagles." Pepsi can have my money if they don't give the Eagles money, it's up to them. :|

Could stores close? I suppose so, but if it really got that bad, I would think that sponsors would pull out... but more likely they would pressure the Eagles to dump Vick.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » August 14th, 2009, 4:04 pm

As I see it, people boycotting the companies aren't putting the employees at risk, the Eagles did that when they signed Vick. :| They *had* to know there would be a huge backlash. As an American I have a voice and I'm lucky enough to live in a county where I can use that voice and I will do so and will continue to do so.

**Edited to add****

I *love* Pepsi and hope to be able to support them again in mass quantities soon! :)
Last edited by BigDogBuford on August 14th, 2009, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » August 14th, 2009, 4:05 pm

you don't necessarily have to fully boycott either. You can simply write the companies and tell them of your disgust.

It affects everyone differently Missy :hug3:, if it doesn't work for you(or for your friends and family) to Boycott, then you can work through other avenues.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » August 14th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Jeanine that was my first question in my head. Why the Eagles would make such a choice to take on all the backlash. I guess I should have asked myself about the sponsors. But I wonder if the sponsors were even notified before this decision was made.

Michelle thank you for putting it in a way I could understand. It all just scares me.
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » August 14th, 2009, 4:11 pm

I share your concerns, Missy.

You HAVE to hit companies in the pocketbook for them to pay attention, though. They won't give a crap otherwise.

I think if it gets to the point that companies really do start to suffer financially, they'll put extreme pressure on the Eagles to shitcan Vick.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » August 14th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Jenifer, I guess I was thinking too far ahead. The only way I know of to not support the NFL's decision is to not watch it.
I don't purchase anything from those sponsors except Splenda and I have Verizon phone service. I could switch sweetners but I am not going to let Vick cost me money by paying a fee to switch phone providers.
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » August 14th, 2009, 5:00 pm

madremissy wrote:The only way I know of to not support the NFL's decision is to not watch it.

I already don't watch NFL, nor does Steve. The only choice I have is to boycott people and companies that support the NFL and specifically the Eagles. I don't know what else I can do to get my point across to the NFL that Vick is NOT WANTED. :(

I don't purchase anything from those sponsors except Splenda and I have Verizon phone service. I could switch sweetners but I am not going to let Vick cost me money by paying a fee to switch phone providers.

I generally don't buy from most of those companies and, like you, I'm not selling my Jeep and buying another brand of car and I can't cancel my Comcast cable because we don't have another cable option. However, I can encourage everyone I know to NOT give those companies money. My neighbors are die-hard football fans and they already came to me to ask what they could do to tell the NFL that they're pissed about Vick. I don't know what else to tell them except to boycott sponsor companies and the NFL.

If anyone else has ideas besides boycotting, I'd love to hear them.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » August 14th, 2009, 5:33 pm

I'm not defending the Eagles...I hate them just as much as the next person for doing this.

However, how about boycotting the NFL? In all reality, the Eagles NOR ANY OTHER TEAM, for that matter, would've been able to sign him if the commissioner didn't reinstate him. There were other teams that were seriously looking at him. If it weren't the Eagles, it would've been another team signing him. I hate to say it, but it's true.

So, how about people stop supporting the NFL? Stop buying jerseys, stop going to games, don't get NFL Sunday ticket (on cable), etc....Yes, it was the Eagles that took him...but they only had that opportunity b/c the NFL allowed it.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BigDogBuford » August 14th, 2009, 5:39 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I'm not defending the Eagles...I hate them just as much as the next person for doing this.

However, how about boycotting the NFL? In all reality, the Eagles NOR ANY OTHER TEAM, for that matter, would've been able to sign him if the commissioner didn't reinstate him. There were other teams that were seriously looking at him. If it weren't the Eagles, it would've been another team signing him. I hate to say it, but it's true.

So, how about people stop supporting the NFL? Stop buying jerseys, stop going to games, don't get NFL Sunday ticket (on cable), etc....Yes, it was the Eagles that took him...but they only had that opportunity b/c the NFL allowed it.

I've been boycotting the NFL for years so I guess that works for me! :dance:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » August 14th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Again, for people like us who already DON'T support the NFL, what other options are available rather than boycotting the companies?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby katiek0417 » August 14th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Marinepits wrote:Again, for people like us who already DON'T support the NFL, what other options are available rather than boycotting the companies?

But there are plenty of people who do...probably people you know...I'm NOT saying NOT to boycott the other companies...but I think NFL should be added to that list. We're all reaching out to people we know with the ideas to boycott companies...I know we can all reach so many people...let's add the NFL to that...

Wouldn't it be great if the SOB never had another opportunity to be signed by another team? EVER?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » August 14th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Still not answering the question. :|

I'm already encouraging people not to watch the NFL (as I already posted above) and to boycott the companies. What else is there?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 14th, 2009, 5:50 pm

I'm not going to boycott the NFL - that's going to punish the teams who DID flat-out refuse to sign him.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » August 14th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Marinepits wrote:Still not answering the question. :|

I'm already encouraging people not to watch the NFL (as I already posted above) and to boycott the companies. What else is there?

I'm sorry, but I said this:
Stop buying jerseys, stop going to games, don't get NFL Sunday ticket (on cable), etc....

Not watching the NFL will hurt, but not enough...that's why I suggested the other things :| ...they get money from people GOING to games...BUYING jerseys and other team gear...

And you can write letters to THEM...

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I'm not going to boycott the NFL - that's going to punish the teams who DID flat-out refuse to sign him.

Liz, there were other teams looking at him VERY seriously....the Eagles jumped on him b/c their back up QB got injured on Monday...and b/c McNabb lobbied for him...he was supposed to talk/train with 2 other teams this week...

Trust me, I love the NFL...I love the Cowboys...but I 100% do not support the NFL commissioner's decision to reinstate him...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » August 14th, 2009, 6:02 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
Marinepits wrote:Still not answering the question. :|

I'm sorry, but I said this:
Stop buying jerseys, stop going to games, don't get NFL Sunday ticket (on cable), etc....

Not watching the NFL will hurt, but not enough...that's why I suggested the other things :| ...they get money from people GOING to games...BUYING jerseys and other team gear...

And you can write letters to THEM...

And, AGAIN, for people who already have NOTHING to do with the NFL, at all, no buying jerseys, no going to games, NOTHING, what else are we supposed to do besides boycott the sponsor companies? Missy is concerned that boycotting the companies will hurt the "little guy", the basic worker on the bottom of the companies' pile, and is asking what other way is there to voice strong opinions against Vick. I am concerned about the same thing and I'm asking the same thing.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ArtGypsy » August 14th, 2009, 10:04 pm

I'm not replying directly to your query, Missy, but felt this was the right thread to make a comment....

On Face Book, my status right now reads:::
LOTS Of stuff on My Mind Thinking about friends, family, hopes, out cries and what we can change and what we can't. BUT. Just because something can't be CHANGED TODAY, doesn't mean we go quietly. NO NO NO> Sometimes we just keep keep ringing the bell, clanging the pots, walking the path, naming the names, demanding answers, shining the light and doing what we can to write the script for the day to come.

So... *deep breath*
I"m not sure what will eventually come from all the ruckus, out cry or hoopla over this issue.

If we all set out to have Vick tossed off the Eagles team tomorrow, all NFL 'heads' fall to their knees in shame, and Vick ending up working in a rescue shelter for the rest of his life, we could very well end up considering our 'outcome' a failure........But surely we will not set this unlikely outcome as our measuring rod for 'success'.

Despite huge numbers of irate animal lovers promising to boycott products, write letters, and hold signs, the harsh truth taunts us; big bucks, big business and big balls win.
(oops. I'm not sure I meant that, but the muse spewed it, so it stays).

We can stir up some dust, wave some signs and become disappointed and angry when 'nothing' changes----Vick plays, people 'forget', fans trickle back in and we feel like we did it all 'for nothing'.

OR...................
We can Remember, There are other ways to define 'winning' and 'change'.

Right now, there are people who are speaking out, standing before cameras and writing in blogs, all in outrage over animal torture. MAINLY, PIT BULL TORTURE. People who may not have ever said anything about any topic in the past. Every day people, who are taking their shocked senses and asking 'what they can do'....

People like my friend Bruce, who are avid animal lovers, but have rolled their eyes at the crazy people who would want an 'animal that is genetically bred to do one thing and one thing only, and that's to destroy and kill other dogs'.
((this is what he said to me in his office 18 months ago, when I first shared my dream of owning one some day)))....

But now, Bruce, in his ethical and moral ways, is standing toe to toe with sponsors and foes, to defend these animals..........THE PIT BULLS,,,,,,,,,,
These same people who right now may not want to OWN a pit bull, but to stand by and let this happen?? To hear of one of our well paid celebrities bend himself around the same bars that would restrain the freedom of the average Joe.....?? NO.

When we, as rescuers, owners and obsessives, (ahem), keep shining the light of reality on the rank and repugnant societal blindness to the horror of dog fighting, it's these good people who can't help but stand up and join the crowd.

And think about that for a bit..........Now that so many people are shaking their heads, muttering under the breath, mentioning the news at work, and discussing the HORRIBLE ness of what was done to these dogs, it's going to become awfully difficult to later, both CONDEMN AND DEFEND the same breed, in the same breath.
Today the pit bull is the victim.

Will BSL be eliminated?? no.........most likely not.
Will every home house a rescued pit bull.......I hope not.

But we will have less BSL supporters standing for something they THOUGHT they believed in.
We'll have people who don't automatically shun a breed because of bad press.

Bad Press can destroy or it can Create.

I'm an Artist, Baby.............I CREATE. :dance:

And just like my daughter's murder.
We may not get anyone thrown out of their job for dropping the ball. We may not get a law changed TODAY.

But people starting talking........and the more I encouraged, questioned, exposed, posted, interviewed, called, suggested, the more press I got.
I went from a face book page to a web site, to interviews to a Play.
People are listening.
People are comparing notes while they shake their heads in commiseration of similar stories.

We'll keep clanging the bells because it's the sound waves that change things in the long run----We'll keep holding the light, long after the fickle societal limelight dims. We'll be there with signs at games, we'll be there on Face book, reminding, we'll be there walking dogs in a parade. We'll keep reminding people who The Bad Guy Really IS.
We're going nowhere, Vick.

Jody, off her soap box for now....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby madremissy » August 14th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Thanks for that Jody :hug3:

Change one person's mind at a time.
madremissy

Postby ArtGypsy » August 14th, 2009, 10:57 pm

madremissy wrote:Jeanine that was my first question in my head. Why the Eagles would make such a choice to take on all the backlash. I guess I should have asked myself about the sponsors. But I wonder if the sponsors were even notified before this decision was made.

Michelle thank you for putting it in a way I could understand. It all just scares me.

There's nothing wrong with worrying about the 'little people', Missy.....collateral damage, so to speak.
((((((((((((sigh))))))))))))

No one likes that.....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby madremissy » August 15th, 2009, 1:30 am

There's nothing wrong with worrying about the 'little people', Missy.....collateral damage, so to speak.
((((((((((((sigh))))))))))))

No one likes that.....

Jody I am just hoping that the sponsors come to their senses before my friends and family become the "collateral damage"
madremissy

Next

Return to Michael Vick