Michael Vick Signs Contract With Eagles

Postby Marinepits » August 13th, 2009, 10:12 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

Quarterback Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, his agent, Joel Segal, confirmed to ESPN.com.

Vick King Of First Down
During the first years of his career (2004-06), Michael Vick rushed the ball better than any other quarterback. He had six 100-yard rushing games and 102 10-plus yard runs, but he was also one of the top rushers amongst all players -- especially on first down.

Vick arrived in Philadelphia Tuesday morning and remained there Wednesday evening. The Eagles will hold a news conference on Friday morning to announce his signing. The first year of the deal is for $1.6 million with an option for the second year at $5.2 million, FoxSports.com reports.
The Eagles went to the playoffs last season under quarterback Donovan McNabb, and are still looking for their elusive first Super Bowl win.

The team, though, is a surprise landing point for Vick. It was among 26 clubs that said there was no interest in Vick, but that may have changed when backup Kevin Kolb strained a knee ligament earlier this week. Kolb's injury isn't serious and he's expected to return next week. The Eagles also have veteran A.J. Feeley.

Vick was the No. 1 draft pick in 2001, and once the highest-paid player in football. But he has not played since 2006 when his career came tumbling down. He was convicted in August 2007 of conspiracy and running a dogfighting operation, sentenced to 23 months in federal prison and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

But after serving his time and being released from home confinement July 20, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell conditionally lifted Vick's suspension, allowing him to sign with a team.

Vick can immediately take part in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19) at the latest.

Vick filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million.

Vick pleaded guilty after his three co-defendants had already done so. They told of how Vick participated in the killing of dogs that didn't perform well in test fights by shooting, hanging, drowning or slamming them to the ground.

Vick's appearances at federal court in Richmond, Va., prompted large groups of protesters to gather outside. Many were with PETA and held signs depicting photographs of pit bulls ravaged in dogfights.

Still, there were supporters who wore his No. 7 jersey.

The Eagles travel to meet Vick's former team, the Atlanta Falcons, in Week 13 on Dec. 6.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL anlyst. ESPN's Sal Paolantonio and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyLady » August 14th, 2009, 12:03 am

:cuss: Absolutely unbelievable.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jackuul » August 14th, 2009, 2:20 am

I only feel sorry for the players (McNab) and the fans. The team can rot in hell. They were my second favorite last year, but after this - I hope they have a perfect score.

Winless.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby fenella » August 14th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I heard part of his press conference. It made me SO ANGRY!!! :cuss:
The thing that makes me the most angry is that people are still saying that he did it partly because of the way he was raised. I'm sorry...even if you were raised that way, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is wrong. I mean, growing up, my grandmother was one of the most racist people ever (may she rest in peace). That would not give me an excuse to be a racist. I am old enough to make up my own mind.
Did you hear what he said??? After being in jail and seeing people's reactions, he now realizes that people love their pets and that it was a mistake. What?!?! Prior to this, he didn't realize that there were people who loved their pets??? He shouldn't be allowed to tie his own shoes if he is that stupid. In fact, every time he "apologizes" he makes it more and more evident that he has no remorse. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Michael Vick