Dog Attacks Infant Twice In Two Days

Postby BigDogBuford » August 12th, 2009, 1:10 am

Darwin award for sure. Of course, if this had been a Pit Bull we all know how the headline would have read...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... cation=rss

Sheriff: dog attacks infant twice in 2 days

A 9-month-old infant is in intensive care at a Seattle hospital after the Skagit County sheriff's office says she was attacked twice in two days by her grandmother's dog. Chief Criminal Deputy Will Reichardt says his office is recommending an assault charge be filed against the grandmother. Prosecutor Rich Weyrich tells the Skagit Valley Herald he does not yet know if any charges will be filed.
MOUNT VERNON, Wash. —

A 9-month-old infant is in intensive care at a Seattle hospital after the Skagit County sheriff's office says she was attacked twice in two days by her grandmother's dog. Chief Criminal Deputy Will Reichardt says his office is recommending an assault charge be filed against the grandmother. Prosecutor Rich Weyrich tells the Skagit Valley Herald he does not yet know if any charges will be filed.

The sheriff's office says the infant had recently moved into the grandmother's home in eastern Skagit County with her 21-year-old mother and 18-year-old father. Reichardt says the parents were not home when the attacks occurred.

The deputy says in the first incident, the Rhodesian Ridgeback/Lab mix named Hercules inflicted an injury that required stitches to reattach part of the infant's ear.

In the second attack, on Aug. 2, deputies were told the child was crawling on the floor when the dog bit her several times on the head. She suffered a depressed skull fracture and puncture wounds.

The dog is now in quarantine.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » August 12th, 2009, 2:57 am

WTF?! How was the dog able to get ahold of a 9 month old baby TWICE?! Its not like a baby that size would do much offensive to the baby... :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » August 12th, 2009, 5:24 am

We had a Ridgeback when I was a child. They are 'extremely' protective of their family. The dog may have just not liked other people moving into the home and was just being protective. Don't know where granny was, but just from what I know of the dogs, she should have never been more than arms length away from the dog and child. That is a disaster waiting on a place to happen.

My parents were finally forced to find ours a new home because she was a threat to anyone not in our immediate family.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » August 12th, 2009, 7:57 am

:shake: Stupid people.

hugapitbull wrote:We had a Ridgeback when I was a child. They are 'extremely' protective of their family. The dog may have just not liked other people moving into the home and was just being protective.

I agree with Shanna -- Rhodies can be tough with strangers!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » August 12th, 2009, 9:18 am

They are also sighthounds...so things moving can trigger them (like greyhounds, whippets, etc).

What a tragedy...and it could have easily been prevented. :nono:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » August 12th, 2009, 10:12 am

Poor baby :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TinaMartin » August 12th, 2009, 10:13 am

How awful. As if the first time wasnt to much, she had to let it happen twice?!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » August 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm

that should have read "to the dog" :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » August 12th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Marinepits wrote: :shake: Stupid people.

x2
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to All the news that's fit to print