Kibble & Raw

Postby plebayo » August 12th, 2009, 12:16 am

So I'm thinking about feeding my dogs some raw to give them a little more out of their meals.

Would it be okay to do a morning meal of kibble and an evening meal of raw? I know the two should not be mixed together. I'm just not entirely sure I want to make the plunge. Some people say you can just feed raw, no supplements added, other people feed a bunch of extra things... I've fed my cat raw before, it was pretty simple I bought turkey legs, turkey necks, ground turkey, and turkey hearts and pulled all of the meat/tendons and ground them together and made patties which I froze and fed to my cat twice a day for a while[with some added taurine and a multivitamin] . I'm just not sure I want to make the entire switch to raw, I want to see how cost effective it is for me initially, and then maybe go all the way as I have three dogs to feed. So is it okay to split meals like this?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby plebayo » August 12th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Okay I talked to the chick at the dog/cat food store and she said they actually recommend feeding both [at different meals] because it can be more cost effective. I got some pre-made stuff but that will not be cost effective at about $4 per day, per dog. Do I just go out and buy some raw stuff and let them dig in? I'm thinking more of going off of the "prey model" and not the "barf" version.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Jenn » August 12th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I don't feed raw, but yes I know you definitely don't do them at the same meal. Did you read through the raw stickies?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » August 13th, 2009, 10:15 am

I have read through some of the stickies and followed the links. I found an awesome youtube video as well where the woman walked through what she fed. I'm just really paranoid, one of the websites dispelled a lot of myths, things even I believed about raw. However, that doesn't make me feel any less paranoid about doing it right I guess. There aren't a lot of websites that actually walk you through what someone feeds their personal dog on a daily basis, which was more of what I was looking for.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby kera09 » August 13th, 2009, 10:26 am

im looking for that 2! if you find it pm me the link pleasee!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » August 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm

I bought some drumsticks today, as a teaser. My poor old dog could not get the meat off, nor eat the bone. Her teeth are all worn down from years of separation anxiety [long story!] She'll probably need to go on prepackaged raw.

Seth and LiLo however devoured theirs. Seth actually had to take his time and chew! Yay! I'm just glad he thought it tasted alright.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Raw Feeding