UPDATED 19 Arrested in Canary-Fighting Investigation

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 27th, 2009, 8:03 am

Who knew?

http://www.wfsb.com/news/20183100/detail.html

SHELTON, Conn. -- Police said 150 birds were seized in a canary-fighting investigation in Shelton on Sunday.

Police said canaries and saffron finches were seized and 19 people were arrested at a Ripton Road address.

“There was 100 canaries fighting, and they were betting on them 'til they were dead. It’s absolutely shocking,” said neighbor Marion Sega.

Police said they served a search warrant at the home after receiving a tip that an illegal bird fight involving 150 canaries and finches was scheduled to take place on Sunday.

Canaries are popular beginner pet birds and saffron finches, another small species of bird, can be spiteful and intimidating.

Police said 150 canaries and finches, their cages and $8,000 in cash was seized from the Ripton Road home.

Shelton police said the homeowner and 18 others found near or in the home’s garage were arrested on animal cruelty and illegal gambling charges. They said some of the suspects only speak Portuguese.

“I feel so bad, especially with two young boys and to have that going on in that house,” Sega said. “The house is so beautiful, the people seem so nice and a quiet neighborhood, couldn’t believe what I heard.”
Authorities raided a home in Harwinton earlier in the month, confiscating dozens of roosters. Investigators in Shelton said canary and finch fighting may be a new trend about which they are just learning.

“When canaries are bred, they’ll fight to the death and they don’t make the noise that typical roosters make and they don’t smell,” said Sgt. Robert Kozlowski. “They fall under the radar because we wouldn’t think it suspicious if people have a lot of canaries.”

Shelton police said the birds were discovered while executing a search warrant with the help of state police, state animal control, the Department of Agriculture and Fairfield police.

Police said the investigation may spread into other states as well.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2009, 12:12 pm

:squint: :shock: I have never heard of such a thing...poor little birdies.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » July 28th, 2009, 12:36 am

I didn't know Canaries & Finches fought. :?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jackuul » July 28th, 2009, 12:50 am

Well, it just goes to show that folks will always love bloodsports... first it was humans, then it was dogs, then it was crickets, and all kinds of everything (even spiders)... and now birdies.

We should have never stopped human combat bloodsports. Why? Well, two willing participants battle to the death, and no dogs, birds, insects, arachnids, or cats even, get hurt.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2009, 3:35 am

Actually (coming from someone who has cared for these birds) I didn't know, either...

I can imagine though that if you put 2 males in a cage, and one couldn't get away, maybe :?

I knew Zebra Finches were pretty savage, but I didn't know they would out and out fight...

either way its fairly despicable.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » July 28th, 2009, 9:00 am

I've kept Zebra Finches and have had Canaries. I just never knew this about them.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » August 10th, 2009, 9:29 pm

http://www.newstimes.com/latestnews/ci_ ... source=rss

Deal sought in Shelton bird fighting case with Danbury defendants
By Michael P. Mayko
STAFF WRITER
Updated: 08/10/2009 08:35:39 PM EDT

DERBY -- One by one they appeared before Superior Court Judge Karen Sequino on Monday.

Many kept their heads down during their brief, five-minute appearance as Assistant State's Attorney John Kerwin read the charges.

Most relied on a Portuguese interpreter to translate the proceedings.

All of the 19 men, including eight from Danbury, arrested July 26 for betting on finches trained to fight each other had their cases continued until Sept. 1.

They didn't even have to enter a "not guilty" plea. That's because their lawyers have begun negotiating a deal in which all 19 will seek accelerated rehabilitation at their next court appearance.

It will take about three weeks to determine if they are eligible for the program, which, if successfully completed, would wipe the criminal charges of cruelty to animals and gambling off their records.

To be eligible for accelerated rehabilitation, a defendant must not have a criminal record and must not have applied for the program previously.

But giving them accelerated rehabilitation is not the message Friends of the Animals wants sent.

"They have got to feel it somewhere," said Nancy Rice, the Darien organization's outreach coordinator. "If not psychologically, then financially."

Rice said the organization's position is that each of the 19 men should pay the maximum $5,000 fine. That money would then be turned over to the state and possibly used for caring for the birds seized in the Shelton case or other abused animals.

"It would be too bad if they are able to get away with this," Rice said. "No one wants to see people put in jail, but there has to be some form of punishment to teach people that this type of action will not be accepted in our society."

The state Department of Agriculture took custody of the 150 saffron finches confiscated in Shelton. All of the 19 men waived their right to any ownership of the birds Monday.

"They all agreed not to make any claims to the birds," said Edward Gavin, a Bridgeport lawyer who represents Geraldo Teixeira, 43, of Kearney, N.J.

Gavin said all of the defendants agreed the state could use photographs rather than the actual birds as evidence in the unlikely event that any of the cases proceed to trial.

"We have no objection to the state taking control of the birds," said John Robert Gulash, a Bridgeport lawyer representing Jurames Goulart, 42, of Ripton Road, Shelton. "They could turn them over to a sanctuary, a foster family or new owners."

However, Gulash did ask that Goulart's computer, which contains business records for his J & G landscaping company, be returned as soon as possible.

Goulart is accused of running the bird fights with Sebastian Andrade, 37, and Nonato Raimundo, 51, both of Danbury, on Goulart's property in Shelton and at undisclosed locations in Danbury.

Andrade and Raimundo also had their cases continued.

Goulart ignored repeated questions and requests for comment as he walked several blocks from the courthouse to his car on Elizabeth Street.

Gamblers from Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey would arrive hours before the fights began at 7 a.m. to trade and sell birds, police said, and would party when the fights were over.

In addition to the birds, the police seized cages, as well as food, vitamins and medications for birds.

Elito Goulart, 47, of Bridgeport, Jurames Goulart's brother, told the judge through the interpreter he could not afford a lawyer since he only earns $350 a week. As a result, he applied for a public defender to represent him.

Also appearing in court Monday were Rogerio DeCarvalho, 35; Ricardo Almeida, 29; Getulio Serra, 62; Gilson Goncalves, 31; Agostinho Gondinho, 35 and Massilon DePaula, 32, all Danbury residents.

The remaining defendants live out of state.

To qualify for accelerated rehabilitation: You must not have a criminal record. You must not have applied for the program previously,
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby DemoDick » August 10th, 2009, 11:20 pm

What kind of limp-wristed motherfucker goes to a goddamn CANARY fight?

"Oooh, I'm betting on the pastel blue one...he looks tough!"

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby iluvk9 » August 11th, 2009, 6:24 am

Canaries?? Maybe they thought they were roosters.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 11th, 2009, 7:31 am

DemoDick wrote:What kind of limp-wristed motherfucker goes to a goddamn CANARY fight?

Demo Dick

I just choked on my bagel.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » November 27th, 2009, 1:17 pm

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/crime/2-me ... g-deported

Men deported following bird fighting
Updated: Friday, 27 Nov 2009, 7:27 AM EST
Published : Friday, 27 Nov 2009, 7:25 AM EST

Derby (AP) - Immigration officials have deported two of 19 people who were arrested when police busted up an alleged bird-fighting operation in Connecticut.

Connecticut prosecutors say 47-year-old Elito Goulart, who lived in Bridgeport, and 25-year-old Lucas Dos Santos, who lived in Newark, N.J., have been deported. They and the other defendants are all natives of Brazil.

Officials dropped charges of animal cruelty and gambling against the two men on Tuesday in Derby Superior Court.

The 19 Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Jersey residents were arrested after a July 26 raid at a Shelton home that led to the seizure of 150 birds, mostly saffron finches and canaries.

Most of the other defendants are in a probation program.

Anyone want to take bets on the time frame of them coming back into the country illegally? :rolleyes2: *sigh*
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » November 27th, 2009, 4:06 pm

DemoDick wrote:What kind of limp-wristed motherfucker goes to a goddamn CANARY fight?

Demo Dick

:spit:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to All the news that's fit to print