Need MANY good thoughts for my vet's pit bull

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby juniper8204 » August 9th, 2009, 10:51 pm

My vet and my best friend contacted me a few hours ago telling me that her 13 year old pit bull, Libbie, is doing pretty bad. I will attach the email she sent to me. I'm just asking for good healing thoughts for Libbie, and if it is her time to go, that she passes peacefully. Jen's husband just left two days ago for Iraq for a year, so she is emotionally stretched right now. Her dogs, especially Libbie, ARE her children, as she is unable to have children. **A few words were edited just becaue I don't think profanity is allowed here** LOL

Thanks, sista. I'll take any help I can get. Of course you may post! Libbie is almost 13 years old. She has had chronic liver disease as well as chronic pain, both of which I have been managing as best as I can. She normally would eat dirt if I let her but she has not wanted to eat much these last 24 hours, turning her nose to most of her favorite foods. Her belly has been enlarged due to her liver but last night she started having a great deal of pain from her abdomen and it looked bigger. Her color is not great, and her heart is pounding. She is reluctant to stand and wasn't able to get comfortable, but today is resting, finally. She is very weak when she stands up and she trips and wobbles when she tries to walk. She seems fairly lucid altho there are times when she looks at me and she looks drunk or high. I wondered if her liver maybe swelled up and a bunch of toxins leaked out, making her toxic and "drunk" and causing pain. I think her stomach is being pushed to the side because she feels very bloated but she is not passing gas from either end and is not vomiting or having diarrhea. She feels hot and usually is and pants normally but isn't doing that, so the AC is blasting as well as two fans on her. The painful belly happened before once or twice but she came out of it within a few hours. Her belly just feels really big and tight and she is weak and apathetic. She is still peeing and normally drinks like a fish but isn't even doing that; I am bringing water and food to her and carrying her outside. I haven't done tests on her in some time because there has been no point; I know what her issues are, so I've been managing them. No number is going to do anything but give me stress because I don't treat numbers, I treat animals, I treat her. I also won't put her thru tests and procedures now to lengthen the life that I know is going to end sooner than later anyway.

Basically, everything that is happening has been going on on and off for some time, but in very small doses. She's been slowing down, needs help getting up and down, and her appetite is not as good as it used to be and her color has been better. The pain in her limbs has been there but not in her belly. She just keeps on keeping on and surprising me, and so I don't want to panic but this time has lasted longer and I just have a bad feeling.

"Wretched" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Jon is in NJ and was supposed to leave today but the plane broke down so now he's still in country until Wednesday. Sucks even more knowing that and I can't see him. And I can't explain how I feel about this dog of mine. She is more than my baby; she is like my daughter and I have such a strong and strange bond with her that I can't imagine life without her. I guess she has been a staple in my life for the last almost 13 years that thinking of life without her isn't even registering in my brain. I am 37; all of my adult life, where I actually was responsible and had a goal, she was there. Thru vet school, all my vet jobs, traveled and moved with me everywhere, has slept with me every night for the last 12+ years except for the few days I've traveled, has walked with me thru the ghetto and hiked thru woods and parks and forests with me, every day I walked her somewhere fun until she couldn't do it anymore, she's been there thru relationships and my marriage and deaths and births and my babies (human) and WTF??!!! She in my life is all I know; I really don't know how I can survive without her, Jen. If I didn't have Jon and the rest of my animal family, I just don't know. No matter how much I know that when her time comes, she'll be okay with it, I will not and I will never be. I can't imagine a greater pain. Fudge! The only consolation I guess I have is that I am a vet and I know what's going on, and I know what to expect and also that I can end her suffering if I really had to. I've watched animals take their last breaths, but I can't watch her do that. I can't imagine putting a needle full of poison into my baby either. Again, let me say, FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE FUDGE!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* Thanks

Thank you in advance for any and all good and healing thoughts for Miss Libbie and Jen.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » August 9th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Awww, that breaks my heart. :goodthoughts: for your friend, and healing thoughts for Libbie, poor baby
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » August 10th, 2009, 12:02 am

Healing thoughts for Libbie, and strong thoughts to help see your friend through! :hug3:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » August 10th, 2009, 6:12 am

Oh, how sad! Good thoughts and prayers sent out to all of them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » August 10th, 2009, 6:56 am

Sending :goodthoughts: their way :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 10th, 2009, 7:34 am

How horribly sad. :( Please pass on my good thoughts and keep us updated.

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » August 10th, 2009, 7:52 am

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Libby, Jen, and Jon. That's a lot to handle at a very tough time.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TinaMartin » August 10th, 2009, 9:09 am

Good thoughts coming from my end too.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby LMM » August 10th, 2009, 9:10 am

Lots of good thoughts coming their way!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby juniper8204 » August 10th, 2009, 9:53 am

Thank you everyone. I have yet to get an update from her this morning, but as soon as I do, I'll let you guys know.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby juniper8204 » August 10th, 2009, 10:04 am

Well, she just gave me an update...seems she is doing a little better. For any who are confused, her name is Jen too. LOL

hi jen,

i have done nothing to deserve all of your care and love. why are you doing all this for me?! i don't know many people like you who would invest so much. wow. thank you.

well, she seems a teeny bit better today. she tried rolling onto her back this morning like she does every morning and she couldn't, but she tried. she will eat some chicken. her belly is like this huge, taut drum. poor baby. she went out on her own! i busted her coming in the front door, so maybe she pooped, or just moved herself, i don't know. i'm too afraid to check her color.

i can't thank you enough, jen. i find it achingly amazing that you were so empathetic to her last night that your husband wondered wtf was wrong. you're a gem, thank YOU, and thank all the people on the pittie forums! not too many people understand, but pittie lovers do.

xo
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » August 10th, 2009, 10:49 am

omg soooooo sad!!!! good thoughts going to libbie and to jen!!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » August 10th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Poor girl :( Hope tomorrow brings better news, and you're a great friend.
Jenn
undecided

Postby juniper8204 » August 12th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Got an update from Jen. Libbie seems to be doing a lot better...way more energy, not as owey and bloated, but her appetite is still a little iffey, but she is eating more than she was. Jen wanted me to give a HUGE THANK YOU for everyone who responded! She knows that Libbie's time is short...with all her health issues and her age, but she just wants a little more time with the love of her life.

Thanks all!
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » August 12th, 2009, 10:42 pm

That's great, I hope she continues to improve!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby blabsforbullies » August 13th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I'm just now seeing this, so I am sending great big huge :goodthoughts: to her and her babyand am glad she is headed in the right direction! :hug3:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health