Doggie Breath

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby hugapitbull » August 8th, 2009, 10:22 am

This is a short question, and I hope an easy one. What gets rid of doggie breath. Duke has really bad breath and every time he breathes on Bob, I have to listen to Bob whine :giggle:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » August 8th, 2009, 10:35 am

Peppermint-soaked cotton balls up Bobs nose. :| :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » August 8th, 2009, 10:38 am

amazincc wrote:Peppermint-soaked cotton balls up Bobs nose. :| :wink:
And plugs for Shanna's ears. :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 8th, 2009, 10:40 am

amazincc wrote:Peppermint-soaked cotton balls up Bobs nose. :| :wink:

I'm thinking plain cotton balls in my ears may help as well btw
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » August 8th, 2009, 10:49 am

Harleybird tends to get bad breath because he really doesn't like the bones and chew toys. He gets tartar on his back teeth and if I don't keep brushing them, he has dragon breath.

Does Duke have bad teeth or a stomach problem?

I have used this product on Harley w/mild success:

http://doggoneglamorous.com/petzlife.html
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » August 8th, 2009, 11:09 am

His teeth look healthy, of course brushing them is out of the question, I'm quite sure he won't stand still for that :shock:

I guess it could be a stomach problem, but I'm not seeing any indicators :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » August 8th, 2009, 11:46 am

Have you ever let him try doggy tooth paste? A lot of dogs like the taste [there's a chicken one and a vanilla one too] you just stick the brush or your finger brush in his lips folds and brush. I know a lot of dogs that love their teeth to be brushed because they love the paste.

Were you able to look at all of his teeth or just the front ones? When was the last time he had a teeth cleaning/vet check? It might be worth while to bring him in, he might be due for a cleaning.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » August 8th, 2009, 12:50 pm

My question is, has the breath always been bad, or did it just start, and when was his last trip to the vet?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » August 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm

His breath has always been bad. We had him in for a comprehensive vet check right after we picked him up, so it hasn't been long and the vet did take a look in his mouth. His teeth look good - white, without tartar.

I'll try the toothpaste thing. It can't hurt, unless of course he bites my finger!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby blabsforbullies » August 9th, 2009, 11:05 am

There are some really great water additives too, that can sometimes help. :wink: It would be cost prohibitive if you have lots of dogs, but it might be worth a shot. :| There are also some chewies that have the dental cleaning enzymes in them that we use. :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby DropkickPA » August 11th, 2009, 11:41 am

What I would give for normal doggie breath! Agatha is a poo eater, so her breath is always quite, erm, ripe. I do brush her teeth daily, but since she hides nuggets and snacks every time she goes out, it's a losing battle. We just try to avoid face kisses and spoon sharing.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » August 11th, 2009, 11:49 am

One of my old dogs used to have awful breath...his teeth were clean, so I figured it was deep inside him. I started him on probiotics, just to see...and his breath cleared up. It smelled like sewage, it was so bad...but the yogurt or pills just helped work things out and gave him clean breath.

Worth a try!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » August 11th, 2009, 6:48 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:One of my old dogs used to have awful breath...his teeth were clean, so I figured it was deep inside him. I started him on probiotics, just to see...and his breath cleared up. It smelled like sewage, it was so bad...but the yogurt or pills just helped work things out and gave him clean breath.

Worth a try!

Bob called me at work and read me this one. I stopped on the way home and picked up some yogurt. Hey, if it works that's great. If it doesn't, I'll eat it. :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » August 11th, 2009, 7:20 pm

hugapitbull wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:One of my old dogs used to have awful breath...his teeth were clean, so I figured it was deep inside him. I started him on probiotics, just to see...and his breath cleared up. It smelled like sewage, it was so bad...but the yogurt or pills just helped work things out and gave him clean breath.

Worth a try!

Bob called me at work and read me this one. I stopped on the way home and picked up some yogurt. Hey, if it works that's great. If it doesn't, I'll eat it. :|

Exactly! :giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » August 12th, 2009, 9:19 am

The kind of yogurt matters. You want full fat plain yogurt. The ingredients should be milk, enzymes and pectin (a natural fiber that makes it thick)

If you go for probiotic pills, only get the ones that are available in the refrigerator section. They need to be chilled to stay active
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby juniper8204 » August 12th, 2009, 7:33 pm

I had a Great Dane who had HORRIBLE breath...it could have gagged a maggot. About two or three weeks after starting him on raw, the bad breath went away completely. I feed Innova Evo now (kibble as close to raw as I can get around here), and none of my dogs have icky breath.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » August 12th, 2009, 10:40 pm

juniper8204 wrote:I had a Great Dane who had HORRIBLE breath...it could have gagged a maggot. About two or three weeks after starting him on raw, the bad breath went away completely. I feed Innova Evo now (kibble as close to raw as I can get around here), and none of my dogs have icky breath.

OOh, interesting :o
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Nutrition & Health