Dru's Puppies: 2-3 Weeks old!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 29th, 2009, 4:08 pm

amazincc wrote:Oh. :neutral:

We got the same diagnosis... chances "slim to none". I heard "treatable" and "slim" (which IS something), and so I didn't even have to think about it. :)
What about the treatment isn't "fair" though??? Faust was on IV fluids and meds (also somewhat sedated, in case of pain)... so, I don't think he suffered MORE because of it??? :?
What does your vet know that mine doesn't?

I dont think my vet knows something yours doesnt - it was a personal choice that I discussed with my vet. The treatment is intense (as you know) and to put him through the stress and pain with him being that sick and only having a marginal chance - I feel it was the right thing to do in the given situation.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby LMM » July 29th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Katrina the pictures with the bear are just too much!!!

Junie also faced the same diagnosis when she came down with parvo and I am so glad I had her treated! I don't know that I'd describe the treatment as intense though. The disease sure but the treatment is simply supportive care. I'm pretty sure when Junie was puking and pooping her insides out she was pretty grateful for those fluids lol

Kendell was it the same vet you got Riker from?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » July 29th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Yeah, I guess it does come down to personal choice... *sigh*
I myself believe, IF there's a chance and IF it's something treatable, every effort should be made on behalf of those we take responsibility for.
Yes, no kidding... the disease IS intense, and my vet explained that to me as well. :shock:
But she also told me that Parvo is not a death sentence anymore, and that most puppies recover as long as they get adequate medical treatment.
So, that's what I ran with... and I'm glad I did. :D

But, holy jeebus, it ain't cheap. :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 29th, 2009, 4:19 pm

No, I didnt get him from my vet. I took him to my vet and had him tested and we discussed the treatment options. At that time, I decided against treatment.

It does come down to personal choice and I made that choice. While I'd love to save every puppy, it cant be done. I dont think that just because there's a chance it could be treated and/or maintained, that it should be. I understand most dogs do recover from the treatment, and perhaps he would have, we'll never know. I made a decision based on what was going on with the dog and what I spoke to my vet about.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » July 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote: I dont think that just because there's a chance it could be treated and/or maintained, that it should be. I understand most dogs do recover from the treatment, and perhaps he would have, we'll never know. I made a decision based on what was going on with the dog and what I spoke to my vet about.

WHY NOT??? I guess I don't get that part. You don't "owe" me an explanation, but I hear that a lot from other people as well... and I don't get it.
I do, however, understand financial constraints... the cost of treatment was the first thing the vet staff mentioned to me, and I was lucky enough to be able to not have to consider the money aspect of the whole situation. :o

I'm also very jealous that you currently have FOUR fuzzy puppies at your house. >( :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 29th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I think its a personal thing, I dont think I can make you understand it. I dont think its a generalization, but its an individual choice based on an individual situation. There's no check list or certain deciding factor, but it all comes into play. When Layla got hurt, yes, we went through the surgeries and rehab - but it was not a life threatening injury.

Would I be able to put a dog through chemo if it meant giving them an extra 3 months to live - I really dont know. It would depend on the situation, but for an extra three months, I dont think I would.

You dont have to agree with my take on things and I'm not trying to change your mind - I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 29th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Emi wrote:He's very goregous :) no wonder the puppies are so goregous :) both parents are

Well, thank you!

LMM wrote:Katrina the pictures with the bear are just too much!!!

lol...I put her on the bear while I fed the other puppies...it's the one with the swollen, well, you know...and at the time I hadn't separated her...so after feeding her, I put her next to the bear...and she crawled over and made herself comfy!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LaylaWoobie » July 29th, 2009, 4:48 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
lol...I put her on the bear while I fed the other puppies...it's the one with the swollen, well, you know...and at the time I hadn't separated her...so after feeding her, I put her next to the bear...and she crawled over and made herself comfy!

lol our's do that with the cow blanket!
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » July 29th, 2009, 4:51 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:I think its a personal thing, I dont think I can make you understand it. I dont think its a generalization, but its an individual choice based on an individual situation. There's no check list or certain deciding factor, but it all comes into play. When Layla got hurt, yes, we went through the surgeries and rehab - but it was not a life threatening injury.

Would I be able to put a dog through chemo if it meant giving them an extra 3 months to live - I really dont know. It would depend on the situation, but for an extra three months, I dont think I would.

You dont have to agree with my take on things and I'm not trying to change your mind - I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.

Well... Cancer and Parvo = apples and oranges.
My deciding factor in treating Mick for cancer was based on his resulting "quality of life", while he underwent chemo and afterwards. And, yes, part of it was probably selfishness on my part as well, because he is/was my heart dog. :sad2:

My deciding factor in treating Faust was the fact that parvo is treatable and almost always 100% curable... so, I definitely thought he deserved at least a chance.

Then again - I get very emotional when it comes to my pets, even though I always try to keep their best interest in mind.

Water under the bridge, anyway. But, next time, send them all to NC. :) :wink:

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your puppy thread, Katrina. :oops: :oops: :oops:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 29th, 2009, 5:22 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:

lol our's do that with the cow blanket!

I LOVE the cow blanket pics!

amazincc wrote:
P.S. Sorry for hijacking your puppy thread, Katrina. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've been known to hijack a thread or two...

:wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby kera09 » July 29th, 2009, 11:02 pm

the pups are soooooo cute!!!!!!!!!! pitbulls r my fav puppies, but these babies are coming in second!!!!!!!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 30th, 2009, 12:19 am

kera09 wrote:the pups are soooooo cute!!!!!!!!!! pitbulls r my fav puppies, but these babies are coming in second!!!!!!!!!

lol...yeah...i think they're adorable until they start biting me!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 30th, 2009, 8:42 am

The video is fascinating. What would Jue do if the guy tried to grab you while you were patting him down?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby katiek0417 » July 30th, 2009, 9:57 am

CinderDee wrote:The video is fascinating. What would Jue do if the guy tried to grab you while you were patting him down?

He'd bite the guy...probably automatically without being given the command (however, we always do give the command even if we know they're going to do it, anyway)...

ETA:

Cy, on the other hand, would be a different story. We compete in PSA (Protection Sports Association), and we're in the Level 3's - the highest level. There is a lot of control required in that level. As such, there may be a case where a decoy runs over and hugs me exuberantly (think if you haven't seen someone in a while, so you run to them and hug them) - of course, the decoy has to be suited in case the dog does bite, safety first. So, we have taught Cy to only bite if I'm grabbed if one of three things occur:
1) I scream (even muffled)
2) I say his name (which is the first part of his come command)
3) I say the bite command.

That being said, I would say this is probably one of the most important things that Cy knows. He is a serious dog. He won't go around randomly biting people, but he will bite someone if he feels I'm threatened - so, I wanted to make it clear that someone running up and hugging me IS NOT THE SAME as someone attacking me.

A scenario with the pat-down and an attack actually came up in the last competition we were in. I'll see if I can upload the video so you can see what I'm talking about (I got attacked, but Cy held the stay until I said his name for him to break).

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 30th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Thanks, Katrina. This is so interesting and I'd love to see the video. :dance:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » July 31st, 2009, 1:54 am

OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE TOO CUTE!!!! I was at the airport in Vegas today and the police had a Mal! Of course, I thought of you. :)

And I sounded so intelligent when some woman said: "Oh! Look at the tan German Shepherd! He is so skinny!" I corrected her on the breed. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » August 2nd, 2009, 11:05 pm

iluvk9 wrote:OH MY GOODNESS THEY ARE TOO CUTE!!!! I was at the airport in Vegas today and the police had a Mal! Of course, I thought of you. :)

And I sounded so intelligent when some woman said: "Oh! Look at the tan German Shepherd! He is so skinny!" I corrected her on the breed. :dance:

Thank you, Joyce! And WAY to go!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LaylaWoobie » August 4th, 2009, 11:27 pm

The puppies will be four weeks tomorrow! We've been trying to wean them for a little bit, but tonight they finally got it!

Of course, they were covered in ground beef by the time they were done, but they had full bellies!

Rico - male malinois:

Rico & Axo (male dutch shepherd):

Kiwi (female malinois), sleeping while the boys are eating

Ancho (male dutch shepherd), Kiwi & Rico:

Ancho, who looks like Billy Idol
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby katiek0417 » August 5th, 2009, 5:27 am

YAY for weaning!

I love those pics! I just got done feeding them again...and they tore it up again...I still don't know what made me try the ground beef with the milk!

They're 4 weeks today...but you gotta figure developmentally, probably only 3 to 3.5 weeks....think about how long it took for their eyes to open...they're developmentally a few days behind...they'll catch up all at once...I think it's just these major milestones that are occurring later...

However, I'm still cheering for food! :bounce: :confetti:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder