Mortifying Happening At Animal Awareness Day

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 27th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Ok so other than the crazy deaf lady, there was one other negative thing that happened at Animal Awareness Day.

Our booth was placed next to the only other dog rescue that was there, ****** ***. If you're interested in the rescue name, PM me and I'll tell you. Well, they came with two dogs. One was a yappy little chi, no biggie. They kept walking him really close to Alfred so we moved Alfred more to the back of our tent. That I can handle. Their other dog however.....I can't even begin to describe how disturbing it was. The dog was an adult, tanish shepardy looking thing. They had to roll it in in a WAGON because the dog had never been able to walk since birth. Not even a candidate for a wheelchair because without help the dog couldn't even hold it's head up. It was simply mortifying. All it could do was flop around on the ground, like a dog that had been hit by a car and had a severed spine. Every single one of us including Vi's kids were like, "WTF?"

Clearly the dog had been carted out to raise sympathy donations, and ya know what? It worked. I heard things like, "Oh, she's totally happy!" Wearing a diaper? Really? They let the little chi yap in it's face and it yapped back and I heard, "Oh they're playing!" Uh, no they're not. You're letting that little fucker harass the poor that can't even lift it's own head.

I'm super pissed off at myself for not saying anything. Really mad at myself. But this was our first event and we were invited and there were a TON of people around all the time. I certainly didn't want the image of the 'crazy tattooed Pit Bull lady' to be the center of attention. Also we were representing our rescue....yadda, yadda. I mean, we brought a gimpy dog too but he's still a freaking DOG. Can run and chase a ball and not urinate and crap all over itself. Eventually I had to pin two tapestries I had with me to the tent to 'block out the sun' for Alfred but really it was so that we didn't have to see that pitiful dog flopping around. Jesus it was bad. I seriously can't get the image out of my head.

I would welcome comments and advice as to how to deal with this.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Holy Christ. :shock:

I'm glad you didn't address the issue there, just because it was your first invite to that particular event/venue, and you're right about the "crazy tattooed pit bull lady" thing. And, unfortunately, the needs of the many (your rescue and your dogs) outweigh the needs of the few (that poor dog) -- you had no choice but to put on your best face.

Can you write to the rescue or their BOD or the local newspaper or some outlet that they'll see, expressing your concern?

Personally, I find their actions absolutely reprehensible and admire your restraint. Any "rescue" that would pull that type of sympathy bullshit is just...... nauseating. Vile. Disgusting. And if they actually truly believe having a dog in that kind of condition is perfectly okay, they have more problems that anyone could ever fix. I would have been hard pressed to NOT say anything as well.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Violet » July 27th, 2009, 9:04 pm

The rescue has gotten a great deal of mileage out of this dog. including a tv news story. Two, actually. :rolleyes2:

I don't know if they think they are somehow doing the right thing or just don't give a crap. but it was seriously disturbing. I want to talk to the person who invited us about it but she seemed to be taken in by how sweet it was this rescue was going the extra mile. To what..let the dog smurfing suffer??? My daughters had a great day but they kept commenting hwo awful it was. And since we came home it has been one of the major things they have told people about. :(
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Violet wrote:The rescue has gotten a great deal of mileage out of this dog. including a tv news story. Two, actually.

That makes me absolutely ill.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 9:27 pm

The only other thing I can think of is having a good friend on "stand by" to come and confront them for you, the next time you see them at an event.

Can you speak to the ACOs about the condition of the dog? I don't know if they can do anything in that situation because I don't know your state's laws, but..... If the ACOs CAN do something, maybe they can get a vet involved to examine the dog and give a recommendation that the dog needs to be euthanized. :|
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » July 27th, 2009, 9:35 pm

That's disgusting.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 27th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Ugh. Good for you for not saying anything. That poor dog.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » July 27th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I don't think there's really any way you can approach it. You know what they are doing is wrong, we know what they are doing is wrong, but the public doesn't see that. The general public, filled with people who like the idea of animals and pets but don't invest time into them see the dog as an animal who is being "saved".

Also they are taking care of the dog. If the dog was covered in bed sores, emaciated, covered in feces, that is one thing, but the dog is being well cared for otherwise.

I know things like this are hard to watch. The clinic I work at works with a rescue group and we have had to treat similar cases to what you describe. You know the patient should be euthanized so it can come back as something better but the rescue group just doesn't see it.

At the risk of bad mouthing the rescue you could increase public awareness about what you do as a rescue. When someone donates money to your organization you can explain it goes to animals with treatable conditions. That your philosophy is big or small, young or old, if the pet has a good attitude and is currently enjoying good quality of life those are the animals you rescue. Sooner or later you'd think people would realize their donations are being poured into the care of one dog and flock to a rescue like yours who is realistic.

^^ Which on that note I did have an epiphany. If they are a non-profit 501 C or whatever you could always contact the non-profit people and tell them they should investigate the rescue. You could also get into contact with potential sponsors to let them know where their money is going.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2009, 10:25 am

That is just shameful... :shock: :sad2:

I'm one of the last people to ever "recommend" euthanasia, but jeebus, people... have a heart. >( :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » July 28th, 2009, 10:37 am

This is absolutely horrifying. It makes me (in the worst way) want to hold that sweet dog, love him up, and take away his pain and suffering :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby madremissy » July 28th, 2009, 11:24 am

That is just so sad for that poor baby. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » July 28th, 2009, 3:08 pm

It reminds me of that poor dog who was thrown on the grill a few years ago. They put her through surgery after surgery and got thousands upon thousands of dollars in donations and then eventually put her to sleep anyway. Their excuse was that she was still "wagging her tail" and "gave kisses." So what? All that says is that she had good temperament, not that she was not suffering horribly. Frankly, it was torture for her for the selfish "look at how good this makes us feel for helping her" excuse. I personally have told people that the best option for their dog is putting it down instead of turning it into a shelter, because death is sometimes a better option for the dog - so no, I don't feel bad about passing judgement on the people who did that to that dog. Sorry if I sound high-and-mighty but :|

I have a friend who is a nurse in a burn ward, my mother also worked in a burn ward. There is nothing that isn't excruciating about burns. I really don't care if she was showing it or not, that dog was in blinding pain. Part of the problem with burns is that you can't give the same amount of pain killers that you would give for a similarly serious injury because of the trauma to the nervous system. I have heard all sorts of funny/gory stories about nursing, you name it, I've probably heard it. But in 35 years of my mom grossing us out on purpose, not a single story comes from the burn unit. Not one.

Intentional or not, these cases have very little to do with the animal involved. It's all about the people wanting to feel good about "helping" the animal. It has nothing to do with the animal's well being.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » July 28th, 2009, 6:14 pm

mnp13 wrote:It reminds me of that poor dog who was thrown on the grill a few years ago. They put her through surgery after surgery and got thousands upon thousands of dollars in donations and then eventually put her to sleep anyway. Their excuse was that she was still "wagging her tail" and "gave kisses." So what? All that says is that she had good temperament, not that she was not suffering horribly. Frankly, it was torture for her for the selfish "look at how good this makes us feel for helping her" excuse. I personally have told people that the best option for their dog is putting it down instead of turning it into a shelter, because death is sometimes a better option for the dog - so no, I don't feel bad about passing judgement on the people who did that to that dog. Sorry if I sound high-and-mighty but :|

I have a friend who is a nurse in a burn ward, my mother also worked in a burn ward. There is nothing that isn't excruciating about burns. I really don't care if she was showing it or not, that dog was in blinding pain. Part of the problem with burns is that you can't give the same amount of pain killers that you would give for a similarly serious injury because of the trauma to the nervous system. I have heard all sorts of funny/gory stories about nursing, you name it, I've probably heard it. But in 35 years of my mom grossing us out on purpose, not a single story comes from the burn unit. Not one.

Intentional or not, these cases have very little to do with the animal involved. It's all about the people wanting to feel good about "helping" the animal. It has nothing to do with the animal's well being.

That was a Dallas dog & one of our biggest No Kill ( I think it is no kill, i dont remember) shelters had her. They drug that poor dog all over the city & there is no telling how much money they made off of her before she finally died. I no longer support them because of this ( and other things)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » July 28th, 2009, 7:10 pm

There are always "rescue" folks that can stomach most anything if there is enough profitability in it for them. You and I both know that down deep they know they are not doing the right thing...but their stomach for money outweighs their humanity. That activity is shameful, but not unusual

Jeanine, as hard as I'm sure it was to stay quiet, it was the right thing.
airwalk
I live here

Postby furever_pit » July 28th, 2009, 11:16 pm

:sad2: :sad2:
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » July 28th, 2009, 11:32 pm

I hate people. Come on. Like a dog can ever be happy semi-paralyzed and defecating in a diaper seeing the world move around him. Sometimes euthanasia is a GIFT.

Diapers on 24/7 + hairy dog + warm temperature = diaper rash and maggots. That's just all I have to say.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Pit Bull Talk