Brats Class

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » July 28th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Duke is on his way UPS blue..... :|

lol

I'm not sure we're up for a board-n-train, but I'll check with Demo. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2009, 4:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:

I'm FedEx-ing mine, so I hope it's a yes. :smileUp:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » July 28th, 2009, 4:08 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Pit♥Bull wrote:Duke is on his way UPS blue..... :|

lol

No.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » July 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm

:angel2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » August 5th, 2009, 3:40 pm

So, the class is set to start on the 14th.

It's $90 for 8 weeks, 6:30 - 7:30. If anyone is interested in taking it (as in ready to fill out a registration form and write a check), please let me know. I have one spot possibly filled already, depending on the eval I'm doing next week.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » August 5th, 2009, 10:40 pm

No.

Demo Dick

Is that a "no".....................or a 'HELL NO".

(( just wonder how much wiggle room I've got on this))....... :dance:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » August 5th, 2009, 11:22 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:Is that a "no".....................or a 'HELL NO".

(( just wonder how much wiggle room I've got on this))....... :dance:

That's between you two. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby kera09 » September 5th, 2009, 9:48 pm

i had a new client @ the salon today and we were talking about dogs (of course) and shes taking her puggle to the brats class!!!! lol
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 8th, 2009, 10:37 am

The half blind one? He's a sad little case. They paid a fortune for him, he has severe allergies, is mostly blind in one eye at the ripe old age of 4 and has some serious temperament issues. I think we can get him turned around pretty quick, but it will take some commitment.

Last week I added a Great Dane to the class with very similar fear issues.

So far... we have a 3 year old female Hound/Rott mix who is a fearful bully who just needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her. A 4 year old Pug/Beagle who is half blind, has a bad attitude, is spoiled and coddled, and a 2 year old female Great Dane who was mostly fine until a bad experience at a doggie day care and now is jumpy and fearful around people and dogs.

As usual, it's mostly a bunch of dogs with people problems, but problems that will make them all big problems in classes of 8 dogs and 8 people in the large open building with all the noise and goings on. Since everyone had to go through an eval to get into the class I think they are a little more committed to the process.

I've actually said no to about half of the dogs I have evaluated. It's funny (odd, not ha ha) to me the number of people who think their dogs are "brats" when really the dogs just need some work in a regular class. The owners just need someone to look at their dog and tell them that everything will be ok and they just need to work with the dog and commit to 10 minutes a day every day and a class once a week. They have all left happy and relaxed and looking forward to signing up for a class. "Oh, you mean my dog isn't a brat??? He just needs some direction? Really? great!" I really like making that kind of difference for people's dogs.

Last week this really sweet hound came in on this gi-normous choke chain. She was fearful, but really just a normal old hound. Didn't listen all that well, sniffed a lot, somewhat distracted, checked in with the owners, then kept on sniffing. I got rid of the choke, got them a martingale, fitted it correctly and told them to get into a regular class. Everyone was happy. :)

They all seem to want a class, they want help, but don't really want their dog to really be a "brat" but if that's what it takes, a brat is better than nothing. lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 21st, 2009, 3:02 pm

And last but not least Kayden :wink: I'm not so sure I would put Kayden in the "brat" category, but he definitely needs some practice working around other dogs, and I'm much more comfortable working him in a class with Michelle.

Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby hugapitbull » September 21st, 2009, 6:15 pm

Not to get OT, but, what happened to Kayden's paws?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby maberi » September 21st, 2009, 8:42 pm

Chased his ball across a parking lot a few months back and tore off his pads

First night of brats class went well. The first night was for handlers only so everyone could get some insight on the other dogs in the class, and what the handlers were struggling with. Riggs did a good job keeping a down for the first 30 minutes of class and finished up things with a couple of demos for everyone

The unfortunate part was that 5 people signed up and only 3 showed.
maberi

Postby maberi » September 29th, 2009, 9:34 am

We had our first brats class with the dogs last night. Kayden and I arrived in the building and as soon as we entered the training ring I heard a horribly high pitched screaming coming from a little Schnauzer. Kayden's prick ears and bug eyes generally elicit a poor response from other dogs, so it was pretty apparent we were going to be the Schnauzer's distraction for the night. Amazingly enough though Michelle was able to work with the owner on keeping the little guys focus and by the end of the class, the owner was able to break the Schnauzer's distractions when giving him their focus command.

Everyone in the class is really nice and committed to training their dogs, which is a nice change from some of the other classes I have been in. The Puggle and Dane both need some socialization with strangers so I was able to meet both of them. Both are super sweet dogs. Assuming their handlers continue to come to class, I bet we will see a huge difference in both of them by the time the class wraps up.

In general if an instructor asked me to hand over Kayden so I could go help socialize some of the other dogs I would have turned them down. Kayden is a strong boy and generally goes ape crap if someone restrains him and I walk away. I handed the leash over to Michelle and wished her good luck. I was floored to come back 1 minute later to see Kayden sitting nicely next to Michelle. He also has a horrible habit of rushing into people when they approach so Michelle helped me with that and by the end of the class I could approach him without him budging.

The next time Michelle came over and asked me to help socialize a dog I handed her the leash and wished Kayden good luck :wink:

All in all a REALLY good class. Kayden is a weird dog in that he doesn't wag his tail all that much, but that thing was going 100 mph the entire class.
maberi

Postby TinaMartin » September 29th, 2009, 10:17 am

Thats awesome!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » September 29th, 2009, 11:40 am

Thanks! :)

I'm hoping it continues to go well.

Next week Bella (the Dane) is going to come early and I'm going to bring Ruby so they can play a bit and she can loosen up and hopefully relax a little. Having the Old English Sheepdog go after her on the way out of the building did not help matters either.

Sterling, the Schnauzer, spends a lot of his time during the day at the sliding glass door freaking out at the neighbor's feral cats, so she's going to gate him out of the kitchen during the day or crate him. Hopefully the down time will help him chill out a bit. He's actually quite responsive once you get his attention.

We're going to do some obedience next week as well so that we can get moving on how to handle the difficult behaviors as they come up in the real world.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior