Faust needs Brat Class... maybe???

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2009, 4:02 am

What about if you could get people he meets to do obedience with him? Obviously, this would be on a case by case basis...

What if you say "He is afraid. If you want to meet him you need to listen to me" or something? :|
Maybe you could teach a rock solid Sit for these situations so you can have him Sit and then step in front of him?

I wish I was closer :neutral: I'm getting really good at working with Shy dogs - can bring them out of their shell usually within a few minutes. I would bw able come over and help, and then we could go walking and I'd back you up and block the crazies :)

Oddly around here I find kids to be the best listeners. They always ask and they LISTEN to the response, too :) I had my SIL's dog and Oscar out a while back, Bram is super skittish, doesn't really like to be petted and definitely not by new unusual people-nevermind children. I had 2 kids come up to us and ask if they could pet the dogs, I put both in a sit and replied that "this one" - Oscar, was friendly, but "this one" was not- Bram. They proceeded to pretty well maul Oscar, who loves this stuff, and ask about him, and didn't so much as blink at Bram (my SIL's dog). I find that young kids almost always listen :| Too bad adults don't.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2009, 10:22 am

It's definitely boots/shoes/feet... :shock:

I dropped Faust off to get snipped this morning, and his favorite vet tech came out to get him - she was wearing army boots. She kind of "stomps" when she walks, but it wasn't until she actually came around the partition and walked towards us that he immediately cowered and peed. She got down on the floor w/him, and once he realized who it was he was all over her... helicopter butt, kissing, rolling over for a belly rub. Sat for her when she asked him to, shook paws w/her - AND took a treat! :) Followed her in the back w/out a problem.

I spoke to the vet and told her about yesterdays episode... and she laughed. She said even puppies as cute as Faust have "a fundemental right not to be mauled by strangers"... lol
She also told me that he has not shown any aggression what-so-ever while he was w/them, or when he needed to be examined/had his shots... not even while they took his temperature or did fecals (which is pretty uncomfortable for ANY dog). :dance:
She did agree that he seemed a little shy when meeting strangers at first, but that not all dogs are social butterflies from the get-go. She told me to consider where he came from, and what he experienced at a very young age, and basically agrees w/everyone here - work on desensitizing him, take it very slow w/the socialization, and "give him a job" when he comes home to boost his confidence.

I LIKE her. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » July 28th, 2009, 12:15 pm

What happens at a young age sticks with them for a long time. Trouble raised hackles and was uncomfortable around anyone wearing a ball cap and having a loud voice until she was 5 yrs or so.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » July 29th, 2009, 9:14 pm

My dog LiLo is very insecure. I blame this on her lack of socialization when she was a pup as she was pretty much lock in a crate the first 2 months of coming to her new home. She is fine when we go on walks, fine off leash, she ignores everyone but when a stranger acknowledges her she barks and growls. She sounds really intimidating but it's because she is insecure. She has never peed, but if people pet her before she is ready she gets stiff, and small and her lips get tight.

I would teach him to ignore people when he is out and about, or they come to your door, better to be nervous when they actually acknowledge him than fall in a puddle when they come up to talk to you.

Set people up. If someone is approaching you about your dog say "Ignore him. Don't look at him, don't touch him. He needs to come to you. He's very nervous/afraid." If the person is nice they will cooperate, let him sniff them and go slow.

Set him up. Go for a walk and meet up with a friend that he knows. Make sure the friend has treats, meet up with them so he learns that when he goes on walks and meets people, they might be people he knows and they have food.

LiLo used to be much worse but she's been trying harder to be more brave. I have to say the best thing for her has been me not getting anxious about her barking, me letting people know she's noisy and they need to go slow if they want to touch her, us simply going out and doing things with multiple people. The more good experiences they have, the move confident they become.

Faust should grow out of the submissive peeing, maybe not entirely but it gets better. Mostly I would work on building his confidence in himself. He may always be insecure, but he doesn't have to live life being totally terrified. On the plus side too, if your other dog is confident around other people that can wear off on the pup too and help him learn that it isn't a big deal.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » July 30th, 2009, 9:12 pm

So, my mail man (whom I LOVE!!! :D ) came by this morning, armed w/cookies, as usual.
He knows Fausts story, and is aware of Faust being shy.
Sepp bounded down the porch steps to get his cookie, and Faust followed but wouldn't get close enough to the fence to take one from the mail mans hand.
I called Sepp and brought him in the house. When I came back outside to collect my mail, Faust was chewing something, tail wagging, and looking pretty comfortable.
Our mail man had thrown a cookie over the fence w/out acknowledging Faust at all and then proceeded to stuff my mail box. Before he got back in his truck he offered Faust another cookie, and this time Faust ran over to the fence and took it... and immediately took a few steps back to eat it.
I heard my mail man say: "Ooops... you almost forgot that you're scared today, huh?", and he laughed.
Faust looked up, tail wagging, smile on his face. :D :D :D

Did I mention that I LOVE this man??? :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » July 30th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Awww! I love your mailman too, what an awesome guy!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby ArtGypsy » July 30th, 2009, 11:24 pm

HURRAY, for patient, caring Postal Carriers!!

------------JODY, who thinks anyone who's a friend to Faust, is a Friend to her....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby LMM » July 31st, 2009, 9:21 am

Awwww how could you not!?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby hugapitbull » July 31st, 2009, 9:42 am

ArtGypsy wrote:HURRAY, for patient, caring Postal Carriers!!

------------JODY, who thinks anyone who's a friend to Faust, is a Friend to her....

x2 That's such a heartwarming story.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior