Animal Awareness Day At Olympia Farmers Market

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 26th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Yesterday D.R.A.W. was asked to man a booth at the Olympia Farmers Market for Animal Awareness Day. It was a ton of fun! I took Alfred and met Violet, Karla and Jamie down there was well as two of Violet's daughters.

There was one other dog 'rescue' group there. I put the word 'rescue' in quotes because....well, more on that later. There was also a cat rescue, a hooved animal rescue and a rehabilitated Bald Eagle there. I went around and introduced myself and passed out business cards to the other rescues as I'd never met or worked with any of them before.

The market itself is amazing! They had super cool vendors with everything from fresh baked goods to organic fruit and meat. Lots of fresh flowers, plants and herbs. I wish I'd taken some $$ down there....I would have come home with lots of stuff!

We had a tent and laminated photos of every single dog that we're adopted out through D.R.A.W. as well as adoption flyers of each of our adoptable dogs. Alfred manned the booth with us and was quite a hit! I brought his crate but he just chilled out on leash and accepted treats from anyone who came by. He loved everyone as was a really great breed ambassador. Did I mention he *really* likes treats? I believe he also ate applesauce and some mystery stuff that had fallen on the ground. 8) Alfred met little kids and big kids and took treats gently from all of them. (I purposely didn't feed him breakfast so he could have a ton of treats!)

We had a very good reception except for one anti Pit Bull lady. Her Cocker Spaniel had been attacked by a Pit Bull at a dog part and she was understandably *very* upset about it. Did I mention she was also deaf? So she was really loud and upset and yelling about Pit Bulls. Afred got his feelings hurt and crawled into his crate during the middle of the tirade. Thankfully Violet was there so we all abandoned her with crazy lady and let her deal with it. Eventually she got her calmed down and she left. A couple of minutes later the security people came by because one of the vendors had reported that we were being harassed! It's nice to know they look out for one another there.

All in all I think we educated a lot of people and got our name out there. We may have rustled up a new foster home which is awesome! Got to show people how a good well mannered Pit Bull behaves and generally leave them with a positive experience with the breed.

Unfortunately I forgot to take any pics! I brought my camera but was busy with Alfred and all the schmoozing that I didn't even take one photo. However, both Violet and Karla took lots of pics some I'm hoping to see some soon. I brought Alfred's Doggles and we got some super cute pics of the big lug. I'll post them when I get them!

I think I'm going to start a new topic about the whole other dog rescue thing...
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby madremissy » July 26th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Sounds like a fantastic day other than crazy deaf lady! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » July 26th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Sounds like you had a great time!

It's really weird how people can get fired up even though they are talking to someone who has no part in their bad experience with certain dogs.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby BigDogBuford » July 26th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Alfred in his Doggles! I know, I know it's mean to dress up your dog for your own enjoyment but he looked soooooo cute!

~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Holy majoley that's cute!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » July 26th, 2009, 7:44 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Holy majoley that's cute!

X2
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby LMM » July 27th, 2009, 10:54 am

I love our farmer's market and I wish they would do something like this!!! Sounds like it was a really great way to get your org. out there.

And Alfred in the doggles is beyond cute of course :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BigDogBuford » July 27th, 2009, 2:01 pm

You have no idea how proud I was of Alfred. He was the *perfect* Pit Bull ambassador!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » July 27th, 2009, 5:03 pm

i totally should have done a search. :oops:
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » July 27th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Violet wrote:i totally should have done a search. :oops:

Meh. Did you see that I totally admitted that we abandoned you with the crazy deaf lady? 8)
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » July 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm

katt..you really need to start a thread about that other rescue. >(
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » July 27th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Violet wrote:katt..you really need to start a thread about that other rescue. >(

I was wondering if I should go there. I think I'll do it tonight. I won't name it but Jebus how mortifying was THAT?
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » July 27th, 2009, 7:20 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:
Violet wrote:katt..you really need to start a thread about that other rescue. >(

I was wondering if I should go there. I think I'll do it tonight. I won't name it but Jebus how mortifying was THAT?

like I said..even my girls were going "omg wtf".
Violet
Loyally Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk