Kinzyl got STUNG

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby madremissy » July 25th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I have counted 17 bites so far. :( :(

Kinzyl was on her lead and was at the edge of the woods in her normal poopy spot. She must have step on the nest while she was going because Travis said that when he looked up she had them all over her and was wrapped around a small tree trying to get away. He ran out there and cut the lead off of her collar.

This happened at 4:00. I was at Walmart and he called wanting to know where the benadryl was. Thank goodness I had alread given her 2 before I left because I noticed that she had some a couple of hives on her back. He gave her 2 more and she just couldn't get comfortable. She went from her Kennel to each room in the house. He watched her breathing and she finally drank some water. She is now in the master bedroom laying under the end of the bed. She has also stopped panting. She has bites all down her right side. Her legs, her ears and has one next to her right eye. I lifted her up gently and tried to look on her tummy. She was too scared to let me roll her over so I let her be. So far in the areas I mentioned I have counted 17. Travis said he picked at least 10 off of her.

I came here first to see if we had a sticky about stings but could't find anything. After talking with Katrina and her calming me down (thank you Katrina). I tried calling the ER vet for advice but all the girl could tell me was that she couldn't give advice out over the phone. >(

Is there anything else I need to look for during the night?
Last edited by madremissy on July 25th, 2009, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » July 25th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Poor baby! She must be miserable. I have no advice, but sure hope she feels better quickly.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2009, 6:08 pm

I would say keep an eye on her breathing, watch for swelling, and maybe keep an eye (hand?) on her pulse to make sure it's not racing or slowing down? I don't know...poor girl. Can you put ice or a paste of baking powder on them?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 25th, 2009, 6:11 pm

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby madremissy » July 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I would say keep an eye on her breathing, watch for swelling, and maybe keep an eye (hand?) on her pulse to make sure it's not racing or slowing down? I don't know...poor girl. Can you put ice or a paste of baking powder on them?

I tried the ice thing, a cool rag but she is not having that at this time. :nono: Travis and I have been taking turns laying on the floor next to her. She just lays her head on our head but if you go to pet her she cowers back. I was going to put cortizone cream on them but I don't want to spook her even more.

Thank you Shanna.
madremissy

Postby kera09 » July 25th, 2009, 6:24 pm

omg poor baby!!! bee stings are the worst. how rude of the evet!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » July 25th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Thanks Liz, I just read all of them.
Travis said he did go over her and try to get all the stingers out. I just got the one out by her eye.
She still hasn't taken her tail out of between her legs but she is up and laying next to Travis in the den.
madremissy

Postby Malli » July 25th, 2009, 6:44 pm

they couldn't tell because every animal reacts differently :neutral:

With that many stings, I think you might want to take her in.

I don't want to make you nervous but the reaction could come back when the Benedryl starts wearing off(wich could be before your dose allows you to give her more). That is LOT of Stings.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby juniper8204 » July 25th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Aw, jeez, I hope she feels better soon. I just got stung, myself, by a wasp about an hour ago. Sorry f-ers :cuss:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pocketpit » July 25th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Going over the body with the edge of a credit card is often helpful in removing stingers in cases where animals have been stung by large swarms of bees or other stinging insects.
Poor Kinzyl, I hope she feels better soon! How awful! A trip to your vet may be a good idea even if she seems fine since they can probably offer you some anti inflammatory meds that will probably make her feel better too.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » July 25th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Awwww :( poor baby
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » July 25th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Ugh. I'd be in the hospital with that many stings...I really sympathize with her...I'm terribly allergic.

:sad2: Healing thoughts headed her way...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » July 25th, 2009, 8:19 pm

pocketpit wrote:Going over the body with the edge of a credit card is often helpful in removing stingers in cases where animals have been stung by large swarms of bees or other stinging insects.
Poor Kinzyl, I hope she feels better soon! How awful! A trip to your vet may be a good idea even if she seems fine since they can probably offer you some anti inflammatory meds that will probably make her feel better too.

I was just going over her again and thought the same thing. Except I used my drivers license. Got a few more off.
madremissy

Postby Pit♥bull » July 25th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Kinzyl will be fine :)

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » July 26th, 2009, 12:04 am

It is almost midnight and she is asleep. She woke up about 10:45 and was restless and panting. I took her outside and she went potty but was a little gunshy at the moths flying in the light. She didn't dilly dally at all and wanted to come right back in. I gave her another dose of benadryl (6 hours since last) and she calmed back down and has crawled up on the couch with me. Her breathing is not labored and heart is not racing.

Thank you everyone for you advice and well wishes. I think this almost gave Travis heart failure. He has become so close to Kinzyl since Precious died. He feels guilty that he couldn't get to her faster and save her a few stings.

Here are a few photos I just took.

The bite is at the outside corner of her eye. The tips of both ears are very thick and swollen.

I don't think it is showing up on the photos or not but the lighter areas on the back and legs are still the raised and swollen areas. She looks a lot better than she did. Not as bumpy but these areas are where I believe she has more than one bite in one place.

madremissy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2009, 7:37 am

Poor little thing. :(

And tell Travis this isn't his fault and he at least thought quickly enough to cut her leash instead instead of trying to untangle it.

pitbullmamaliz

Postby Jenn » July 26th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Poor baby :(

Is she feeling better today?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I hope she's better today.

Can someone explain how you use a credit card for finding stingers?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Do not pull the stinger out with your fingers or tweezers because this will squeeze out more venom. Instead, scrape the stinger out with your fingernail, the edge of a credit card, a dull knife blade, or other straight edged object.

from http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.h ... =1&cg_id=0
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » July 26th, 2009, 2:16 pm

She's probably fine at this point but it's going to be very important to not let her get stung again in the next couple of days. Even one more sting could cause a bad reaction.

Did you guys locate and remove the nest/hive?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health