Panacur

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 4:18 pm

I just did a search on possible side effects here, but didn't find much.

Faust is supposed to take it for three days, starting yesterday. We have the granules, so I mixed them w/a little bit of canned food yesterday morning, and he ate his regular meals afterwards. Last night - major diarrhea. This morning some vomiting, also still diarrhea. He doesn't want to eat at all, but is acting fairly active/happy, and has been drinking a lot of water.
Up until yesterday poop was normal, so I suspect that the Panacur is really upsetting his stomach.

I called the vet... she's in emergency surgery and couldn't talk to me.
This is what the vet tech told me to do... force-feed/syringe the next dose of Panacur (mixed w/some wet food), don't let him gulp any more water (she said to put ice cubes in his water bowl and barely cover them w/water)... repeat the same process tomorrow, if he still won't eat on his own.
I know Panacur is only effective if the full dosage is given (for three consecutive days), but... REALLY??? :shock: :|

I left a message for the vet to call me back by tonight, but if she doesn't - I'm thinking of just stopping the Panacur altogether for now, and see if his stomach will settle down. I'd already mixed his second dose w/some canned food this morning, so... I'm about to throw that out anyway instead of forcing it down his throat.

Any other ideas?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 4:52 pm

:shock:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » July 24th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Wait for the vet to call you back before you decide to do anything else.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 5:04 pm

I would think that the vomiting and diarrhea may be caused by the worms :| In puppies with roundworms infestations, we give the panacur and they vomit up huge piles of Roundworms :puke:

I wouldn't give the water with ice cubes, if Oscar drinks really cold water he'll vomit from it. I'd offer 1/4 cup water every 1/2 hr.

how soon after the Panacur is he vomiting??

Can you offer him food in small amounts frequently? Maybe a tablespoon or two at a time every hour or 2?

I have found that some animals (like all medications) can be allergic to it or the parisites dying off - the signs would be typical allergic reaction.
It also says you may see vomiting.
I also found this : http://heriblog.co.cc/uncategorized/fenbendazole/
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Yeah, I found that link, too... :)

He won't eat anything at all today... just sniffs, and walks away.
This is supposed to be his second time being de-wormed, but I haven't *seen* any actual worms in his stool or vomit. He threw up once, early this morning... mostly food from last night, I think.

I have never heard of force-feeding a vomiting dog if it's not really clear what causes the vomiting in the first place... I'm thinking it's the Panacur because it's the only thing that's been "added"... know what I mean?
Maybe it's just the granules? The first time he got a liquid dose at the vet when he got his first set of shots.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Malli wrote:I would think that the vomiting and diarrhea may be caused by the worms :| In puppies with roundworms infestations, we give the panacur and they vomit up huge piles of Roundworms :puke:

I wouldn't give the water with ice cubes, if Oscar drinks really cold water he'll vomit from it. I'd offer 1/4 cup water every 1/2 hr.

how soon after the Panacur is he vomiting??

Can you offer him food in small amounts frequently? Maybe a tablespoon or two at a time every hour or 2?

I have found that some animals (like all medications) can be allergic to it or the parisites dying off - the signs would be typical allergic reaction.
It also says you may see vomiting.
I also found this : http://heriblog.co.cc/uncategorized/fenbendazole/

:o :puke:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 5:29 pm

lol @ Katrina...

I've actually seen what Malli has described... kinda spoils your lunch for a day or three. :puke:

Oh, but not in Faust. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 5:51 pm

amazincc wrote:lol @ Katrina...

I've actually seen what Malli has described... kinda spoils your lunch for a day or three. :puke:

I've seen them poop out loads of worms...but not vomit...I'd die!

(Did I mention we're de-worming puppies right now???)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 6:11 pm

katiek0417 wrote:

It can happen w/severe infestations. :(
You wouldn't die... lol
That same "puppy" kissed me on the mouth a million times for the next six years. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 6:20 pm

amazincc wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:

It can happen w/severe infestations. :(
You wouldn't die... lol
That same "puppy" kissed me on the mouth a million times for the next six years. :wink:

I know you told me where he came from/his history...it's very possible that he had never been wormed - which is why it was so severe...like I told you...I start deworming every 2 weeks starting at 2 weeks of age...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 8:38 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
amazincc wrote:lol @ Katrina...

(Did I mention we're de-worming puppies right now???)

Did I mention that often the worms are still moving? :D yum!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » July 25th, 2009, 1:14 am

Oh yeah. I once saw a dog crap out like a dinner plate amount of round worms. There was no poo....just the worms. :puke:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby kera09 » July 26th, 2009, 11:04 pm

ewwww worms are so yucky!! when we got lulu from the shelter @ 2 yrs old she had worms! we wormed her and they were all in her poop like pieces of spagetti (sp) Eric thinks im crazy but i always check their poop! ya never know! off topic a bit but duge once ate a pair of my underwear and i didnt find out until he threw them up whole!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health