Anyone have experience giving Ace?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 10:19 pm

I am about to travel to Florida with Sammy (my 7y/o Shih tzu). He used to travel like a dream. The older he gets and the less we travel the more nervous he has become in the car. Right now it is going to be Bristol, Mckinlee and I. We are going to go a few days early and the guys will come on Thursday. On the way back it will be Travis, Sammy and I. He is was so restless on the way to the lake and that was only 45 minutes away. This will be a 6 hour trip with him and the baby.

When I was at the vet yesterday with Kinzyl, I asked the doctor about something for him. She gave me something called: Acepromazine 10mg. 1/2 tablet 30 minutes before travel. She said it would make him very, very sleepy.

Has anyone used this before?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby katiek0417 » July 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

I have...and it did nothing...of course, I used it on Rocky...it didn't even make him blink more! :rolleyes2:

More recently, I know some vets are prescribing a combination of less acepromazine (ace for short) with valium...I've heard that it calms the dog much more, without making them more or less sleepy...

Personally, I prefer xanax...I think it works much better...doesn't knock the dog out...just keeps them calm!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » July 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

I don't use Ace because some herding breeds (collies, shelties, Aussies) can have major reactions from the drug. :neutral: It's a pretty common drug though for sedation purposes.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » July 23rd, 2009, 10:30 pm

Made Mick completely insane, but worked for Sepp when he got neutered. I'd say try it out a day or two before you leave, and see if it works while you're still at home. At worst she won't feel anything, at best you'll have a sleepy dog on the porch for an afternoon. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 10:34 pm

Erin I did read that about certain breeds. That is why I looked even farther to see if it said anything about Shih tzus.

My experience with xanax. One year we were at the lake and had Precious then. We were camping and was in the camper. Huge thunderstorm came rolling in. She was my dog that was deathly afraid of rain and thunder. Being in the camper the noise was amplified (don't know if that is a word) so she was scared beyond words. I gave her a 1/4 of a .5 mg of xanax. Within 15 minutes she could hardly walk. I had thought I killed her. :shock: She was fine and slept the rest of the night.

My other experience: The other night I gave Gotty 2 1.0 mg and it did absolutely nothing. All it did was make his big goofy self that much more playful and goofier. I was trying to get him relaxed enought to cut his nails. FAIL...

Sammy well, I never know what to expect from him. :rolleyes2:

I guess I could try it out but she only gave me enough for the trip there and the trip back.
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 10:35 pm

Missy, you can also do just benadryl, but call and get the proper dosage from your vet. Sammy's pretty little and it's easier to overdose the little guys, even with "safe" meds like benadryl. It knocks my boys out, but only makes the girls slightly loopy, LOL.

In my experience, I haven't had any luck with Ace. It rarely worked on the dogs I used to groom and one Chow ended up having a bad seizure from it -- that's VERY rare, but it does happen.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 10:42 pm

Jenifer, The benadryl does nothing. He gets that when he gets itchy and I tried that when we went to the lake. Didn't do a thing.

Great, now I don't know whether to give it to him or not. :|
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 10:49 pm

madremissy wrote:Jenifer, The benadryl does nothing. He gets that when he gets itchy and I tried that when we went to the lake. Didn't do a thing.

Well.......drat! There are other antihistamines out there that might work better. Hydroxyzine used to knock out Mac for hours on the lowest dose for his size, which is why we stopped giving it to him, but it was VERY effective as a tranq, LOL.

You can try giving him a dose ahead of time (if you can get more from your vet), but try to be home if you do that just in case he has a reaction to it. You'll need to get him to the vet immediately if he does react poorly.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Marinepits wrote:
madremissy wrote:Jenifer, The benadryl does nothing. He gets that when he gets itchy and I tried that when we went to the lake. Didn't do a thing.

Well.......drat! There are other antihistamines out there that might work better. Hydroxyzine used to knock out Mac for hours on the lowest dose for his size, which is why we stopped giving it to him, but it was VERY effective as a tranq, LOL.

You can try giving him a dose ahead of time (if you can get more from your vet), but try to be home if you do that just in case he has a reaction to it. You'll need to get him to the vet immediately if he does react poorly.

Yes, I think I am going to call her tomorrow and tell her I am doing a trial run on him. I think I would feel better doing that before we go.

What is hydroxyzine and where do you get it?
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

You also have to get that from the vet. Sammy's dosage would be fairly small.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 11:06 pm

Ok, thanks Jenifer, Christine, Erin and Katrina.

I will give him a dose tomorrow and see what happens. If that doesn't work I will ask about the other.
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 11:22 pm

Also ask about over-the-counter antihistamines like Claratin and others. None of those ever worked for Mac's itching and other allergy-related symptoms, but some did knock him out. I just can't remember which ones did.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm

I will Jenifer. I am going to have to give him a dose and then ride around in the car to see if it does anything. I have to test the anxiety part of it. Right?
madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 11:29 pm

Yeah, that's what I would do. I think you have to give Ace an hour or two before the "situation", correct? It should be written on the bottle for you.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » July 23rd, 2009, 11:33 pm

This is what it says on the bottle.

Give 1/2 tablet 60 minutes before travel. If sedation is not adequate after 30 minutes give an additional 1/4 to 1/2 tablet. I have 6 tablets.
HOLY COW :shock:
madremissy

Postby CinderDee » July 24th, 2009, 1:15 am

I hate Ace. How about trying Melatonin?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 1:28 am

Where do you get that Dee?
madremissy

Postby iluvk9 » July 24th, 2009, 6:36 am

Missy, are you going to put him in a crate while you travel? Maybe a small one (I know he is small 8) ) that has the plastic sides with the holes like for a cat? And then drug him!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 9:58 am

He freaks in a crate! :o He tried to chew his way out last time and bent the bars and crawled out in between the opening he made. I will have his bed in the back seat with it tethered in.
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » July 24th, 2009, 10:06 am

How about Rescue Remedy?

(just not the candies, as those contain Xylitol)

I know many folks that swear by RR...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health