UPDATE: Empire State UKC show in PETERBORO NY

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 22nd, 2009, 5:47 pm

I'm really excited about this show! Even Dennis wants to go because it's in Herkimer..and that means camping and a visit to the Herkimer diamond mines! We'll probably take a couple of days off and go early just to play in the diamond mines! http://www.herkimerdiamond.com/

I did just send them an e-mail in regards to the pet policy because some KOA's have breed restrictions, but I can't imagine with a UKC Show being held at the camp ground that this one does.

NEW YORK
EMPIRE STATE DOG CLUB
HERKIMER (O) CONF JS
Sep 19; S1 Pamela Simmons JS GUARD COMP; Diane Raymond SCENT NORTH TERR; Tracy Daugherty SIGHT GUN HERD (except BSD) Entries 7-8 am Show 8:30 am
Sep 19; S2 Tracy Daugherty JS GUARD COMP; Pamela Simmons SCENT NORTH TERR; Diane Raymond SIGHT GUN HERD (except BSD) Entries 7-8 am Show ½ hour after S1
Sep 20; S1 Kimberly Himes JS GUARD COMP; Ronald Sacca SCENT NORTH TERR; Carleen Farrington SIGHT GUN HERD (except BSD) Entries 7-8 am Show 8:30 am
Sep 20; S2 Carleen Farrington JS GUARD COMP; Kimberly Himes SCENT NORTH (except AE) TERR; Ronald Sacca SIGHT GUN HERD (except BSD) Entries 7-8 am Show ½ hour after S1
DOS $25; JS $10; PE $20 received by September 15, 2009
Herkimer Diamond Mines KOA, 4626 State Route 28 13350 (315) 891-7355; Take New York State Thruway (I-90) to exit 30 (Herkimer Exit). Then follow signs for Route 28 North. The Herkimer Diamond Mines and KOA. Campground are 7 miles North of the Thruway Exit on Route 28.
Chairperson: Terri Frenla (607) 749-4759 rhill@twany.rr.com
Event Secretary: Joanne Hurst, 5485 Williams Rd, Munnsville NY 13409 (315) 495-2328 hurst899@windstream.net
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 23rd, 2009, 2:06 pm

ok.. so now I'm pretty upset.. This was the pet policy response I got from the KOA

"Hello,

We do allow pets. The dogs must be on a leash of at least 6 feet and you must pick up after them. Also, they can not be left unattended at your site for a long period of time. We just do not allow pets inside our buildings. Such as the kabins. We do not allow Rotweillers, Dobermans, or Pitbulls or any mix of these breeds.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,
Sarah"

How the heck does this club expect to hold a UKC show at a campground (the show is actually at the campground) where Rotties, Dobes, and Pitbulls aren't allowed? ..and they also include "any mix of these breeds" which could effect any number of breeds that "might look like" a Rottie, Dobe, or Pitbull mix.. american bull dogs, manchester terriers, min pins , dogo's, german pinchers, staffy bull terriers, etc... and throw the "mixes" thing in and you also get any tri docked dog or brindle dog of any breed if they really want to argue and don't know the breed's..

I sent an e-mail to the show chair asking if they were even aware that this KOA didn't allow these breeds.. I could just see people reserving campsites and geting turned away.. or showing up to show and get turned away by the KOA all together because they're not allowed on the grounds "for insurance reasons"

I also mentioned that I can also foresee people boycotting the shows just for this reason.. especially since UKC has done it's part to fight legislation such as this because of the pitbull stigma.. I love the potential of a show there.. I love the dianmond mines! But it makes me angry...

Sorry.. that's all..
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
StalkerBlueDog

Postby Marinepits » July 23rd, 2009, 2:12 pm

Jill, what's the contact info for the KOA?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » July 23rd, 2009, 2:47 pm

Who is the host club?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 23rd, 2009, 4:19 pm

Empire state. The person that is the show chair is a sheltie person so I personally e-mailed her. I doubt she even knows they have this restriction! I could see how it would hurt their entries for sure.. they're a really nice, newer club so this really stinks for them if they didn't know. It's a great show site and I'm sure that's what they were thinking when they booked it..
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 24th, 2009, 8:53 am

The club e-mailed me this morning:

<<Hi. The KOA never told us about this policy. Darryl is calling UKC tomorrow for permission for us to find another location. We are aware of this and are doing whatever we can to make sure we can find another location. Had we known this, we would NEVER have agreed to a show there.

Please ask your friends who were contemplating a boycott to hold off. Please try to keep the hysteria down at the moment. Unfortunately, this may spell the end of our club if we cannot rectify this situation.

Joanne Hurst
Secretary, ESDC >>
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 24th, 2009, 12:58 pm

<<We weren’t paying anything for the KOA site but we have a few ideas on a new location and are going to move for sure. >>

I got this from the trial chair. they're looking into the park that we do the sheltie club agility trial at.

Even if they did a breed exemption I wouldn't have stayed there, and it would have unfortunatly hurt thier entries because alot of people wouldn't..though I would have still supported the club, I would have stayed else where. I'm not financially supporting a campground that has a breed ban. Luckily don't have to worry about it because the UKC approved the site change.

I do plan on sending the KOA a response saying that they lost ALOT of potential revenue in their off season due to their breed ban.
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby LMM » July 24th, 2009, 1:16 pm

StalkerBlueDog wrote: I do plan on sending the KOA a response saying that they lost ALOT of potential revenue in their off season due to their breed ban.

Good, they need to know that.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I called yesterday and the show chair called me back today to ask me not to boycott the show and that they were working on a solution. I was very impressed that she called me back and she was taking the matter so seriously. She also mentioned that she was first alerted to the problem by a Sheltie person and seemed impressed that people were so alert to breed problems about a breed they don't even own. (Jill, you rock)

I called her back later and left a message that I have a decent network of people who would be more than happy to help them find a new venue. :D (Rochester people, that is you. ;) )

I'm glad the UKC allowed them to change the venue, but I'm not surprised that they did considering they started as a Pit Bull registry. I can't imagine that the AKC would have allowed it :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 24th, 2009, 3:30 pm

My biggest thing with BSL is that it's not just one breed's issue.. it could be my breed next.. heck Aussies are beginning to be listed on dangerous dog lists.. it's everyone's fight, not just people with pitbulls, rotties and dobes. :)

I mentioned that DOTCORNY was an option and they're only $300 a day.. though their bank is quite small being a new club and they figured out they can swing about $200 a day if they have to pay for a venue.

I'm going to talk this show up alot now once they figure out a venue to hold it in and would suggest that anyone that is able to enter please support this club!

I was very impressed that they jumped on this so quick and were considerate. They didn't even suggest asking for a "get out of jail free card" for the mentioned breeds if they were entered in the show. They immediatly called and asked UKC if they could get a special allowence to change the show site.

I'm kind of shocked however at the KAO not mentioning the policy to the club when they booked the show site.. seems like kind of an important thing to mention for a dog show...
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 3:51 pm

StalkerBlueDog wrote:I mentioned that DOTCORNY was an option and they're only $300 a day.. though their bank is quite small being a new club and they figured out they can swing about $200 a day if they have to pay for a venue.

We could probably convince the club to lower the fee if we ask really nice.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » July 24th, 2009, 3:56 pm

I'm in for any help needed!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 24th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I sent an e-mail to the woman from the Herkimer site and I also send feedback to through the KOA site.

The page for feedback is:
https://koa.com/webtransactions/feedbac ... CKLOCATION

Under feed back just click on "Pet Policy". They must get alot of feedback on it to have it have it's own section...

This was went I sent:

<<I recently contact the Herkimer NY site to ask about their pet policy since there was going to be a UKC dog show at their site Sept 19/20. I was looking forward to showing my dogs, camping,and enjoing the diamond mines for a few days.

Unfortunatly I was very saddened to hear that you have a breed restriction at that campground. I immediatly contacted the UKC club that is holding the show to let them know.

I wanted to let you know that because of your breed specific ban they have contacted the UKC and they will not be holding the show at this KOA.

UKC is the oldest dog registry in the country and they do register pitbulls, rottweilers, and dobermans. It would be an insult to the exhibitors of these breeds, and to the registry in general, to hold a show at a site that does not allow them to stay there along side their competitors because of the breed of their dog.

Smaller shows like this routinely get 200 or more entries a day. That would have been a lot of guarenteed income for your campground during the off season, especially with the diamond mines people, like myself, would have camped an addition few days just to enjoy the mines. Also the additional draw of the diamond mines may have brought more people from further away which would be even more income.

I also wanted to let you know that even though I do not own or breed the dogs listed in the ban, I will personally no longer be staying at your campground, or any other KOA, any more due to this ban. You have lost a customer for life.

Jillian Ellis
Sorella Shelties and Aussies>>

Additional contact info:
Kampgrounds of America, Inc.
PO BOX 30558
Billings, MT 59114

Telephone: (406) 248-7444 Fax: (406) 248-7414
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 4:04 pm

NICE LETTER!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 24th, 2009, 5:11 pm

:clap:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby StalkerBlueDog » July 27th, 2009, 8:35 am

Their dumb "form" response:

<<Case Number: 62783

Case Summary: External Feedback Entered - Classified as 'KOA Pet Policy'

Last Reply...
Dear Jillian Ellis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the dog policy at the Herkimer KOA. Your feedback, good or bad, is important to us because it allows us to make improvements and serve you better.

We'll be sure to pass along your concerns to the management at the Herkimer KOA.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I wish you much happy camping in the future.

Sincerely,

The KOA Value Kard Rewards Team
www.myvaluekardrewards.com
888-562-0000>>
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
StalkerBlueDog

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Just received this via PM from our new member, Darryl:

Empire State Dog Club has changed it's show site to Smithfeild Fire Dept Feilds in Peterboro, NY

Confirmation, anyone?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 8:01 pm

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.ph ... did=289855

Empire State Dog Club has changed our show site for our shows on Sept 19 & 20, 2009. We were informed this past Friday evening that our site, the Herkimer Diamond KOA Campgrounds is turning away reservations of our exhibitors who have certain breeds. After arrangements were made for the show, the campgrounds had a change in management. This management now has a policy that refuses to allow in certain breeds they deem "dangerous", including rottweillers, dobermans, pitt bulls or any other breed that may deemed as potentially agressive and dangerous. Besides having exhibitors turned away, our club feels we cannot promote this sort of policy.

We have another site already arranged and APPROVED BY UKC. Smithfield Volunteer Fire Department, Fireman's Field, 4581 Peterboro Road, Peterboro, NY 13134-0115

Directions to site: From New York State Thruway, Exit 34. At light at exit, turn left onto NY Rte 13 (Peterboro Street). Proceed through town (approx 1.2 miles). At intersection of Routes 13 & 5 go straight at light on to Oxbow Road. Stay on Oxbow Road for approx 8.2 miles and continue to Peterboro and turn left onto Peterboro Road. The Smithfield Fire Dept is on the left. Show site is behind the Fire House.

Please check the Upcoming Events listing on www.ukcdogs.com

ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO CALL OR EMAIL:

Darryl Hurst, President Empire State Dog Club
315-495-2328
hurst899@windstream.net

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » July 27th, 2009, 8:26 pm

:confetti: :bowWave: :confetti: :bowWave: :confetti:

And, from all of us here at Pit Bull Talk,
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU
to the Empire State Dog Club for supporting our dogs!

:confetti: :bowWave: :confetti: :bowWave: :confetti:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » July 27th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Yeah, no kidding, I'm actually really impressed

A big thanks to Jill as well for speaking up for the breed(s)
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Next

Return to North East