Changing the rules on My Dog..:+(

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 20th, 2009, 11:40 am

I'm not sure if I'm asking anything, but I"m a bit peeved at Gerry, who has decided that Dar sleeping in the bed is not such a good thing. :bs:
I admit.
He's big.
And Once he plops his butt down on top of the covers, there's no turning over or anything.
But she thought it was so CUTE when he was smaller, and when it was winter time----He'd jump up on the bed, we'd hold the covers up so he would scoot under neath and burrow at the bottom.

*** For the record, Yes, I know there are concerns with letting him sleep with us to begin with.... :|
But I really didn't care and don't care that much NOW.
>( **

It just seems kinda unfair to make him get down after he's allowed up there all these months.
And YES, **heck yes**, I spoiled him rotten; If he woke up in the middle of the night, I'd follow him over to the couch *in the bedroom* and lay back down with him, just like I did with my kids, ha ha.....
He's a snuggle poochie.......and I like it that way.

maybe this is just a rant.

if so...............feel free to comment.!!

--------Jody, who snuggled with this dog through the toughest months of my life and sees no good reason to stop now.

((uh......cept for the feelings of my partner of course....))) :rolleyes2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 20th, 2009, 11:48 am

Yeah, Inara's slept with me since the day I got separated from my ex-husband. Anybody else who comes along has to deal with her as well as me. She's been around longer. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » July 20th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Renee sleeps in bed with me, unless it's too hot and then she chooses to sleep on the floor. She is a bit of a bed hog, but knows to move over if I tell her to. I also occasionally just don't want her up there for whatever reason and kick her off. She has a bed on the floor next to the bed and seems just as happy to sleep there. I honestly think I have more of a problem with kicking her off the bed than she does :oops:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I honestly think this will bother you much more then the dog, just give him a comfy alternative ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » July 20th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Malli wrote:I honestly think this will bother you much more then the dog, just give him a comfy alternative ;)

Well, I bought a small air mattress and put it by my side of the bed, with a cool sheet draped over it.
:rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

When I go to bed, I get on it beside him, and sneek up into the bed after he falls asleep. (of course, when I wake up, with a crook in my neck and 'cadaver-arm' from Dar lying on it)))

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have to do that several times throughout the night, but so far so good......

Just makes me a bit grouchy..... >(

I think If I cover the entire lower portion of the sheets with a protective blanket, pull BACK the large comforter so he can plomp on it, she'll be okay with him at the foot.

sigh.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Fuego » July 21st, 2009, 5:27 am

Hundilein wrote:Renee sleeps in bed with me, unless it's too hot and then she chooses to sleep on the floor. She is a bit of a bed hog, but knows to move over if I tell her to. I also occasionally just don't want her up there for whatever reason and kick her off. She has a bed on the floor next to the bed and seems just as happy to sleep there. I honestly think I have more of a problem with kicking her off the bed than she does :oops:

That's exactly what I wanted to write. :)
Like others said, I'm also convinced it will be a bigger problem for you to kick the dog out. The dog won't care much especially if there's a comfortable bed right next to your bed. Just try it out :wave2:
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby HappyPuppy » July 21st, 2009, 5:29 pm

We let Ruby sleep with us after we had had her about 2 years and then decided that our peaceful sleep was more important than every-nite cuddling with her. So, we banished her back to the floor with only minor adjustment grumblings. My sleep has improved tremendously!!!! We still occasionally let her up for a 'reunion' overnite and every morning around 5am, we let her back up to snuggle until we get up for the day, so it all works out. He'll adjust just fine if you end up enforcing that.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby kera09 » July 21st, 2009, 6:28 pm

i tried the no dog in bed thing when eric and i met! no luck! he refused and as we got the 2 girls i felt guilty that he sleeps with us and they cant. we would make duge sleep on the floor but he would only whine at the bed and stare at you with sad eyes!! so in march we bought a king size bed and now sleep with seperate blankets. we still end up on the edge of the bed while the 3 hooligans are all sprawled out!!!!!! :|
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » July 21st, 2009, 7:37 pm

I was always the one who wouldn't allow the dog in the bed. It worked real well until we brought a shaggy little puppy home from the airport one night (so small she couldn't make it up the stairs). Bob insisted little dogs belong in bed.

Trouble slept in her crate for a few months and then she became a bed hog dog. We got a larger bed, no help at all, she still pushes one of us off the edge.

Duke sleeps in his crate, and hopefully it will stay that way, I really don't think there is room for the two of us and the two of them....of course I could be 'mistaken'. :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » July 21st, 2009, 10:22 pm

It's funny that everyone says it will be more of a problem for you than the dog, that's SURE not how it was at my house!! My husband wanted Shelby in bed with us (she was eight pounds when we brought her home) and wouldn't have it any other way. I warned him that when she was hoooge he might feel differently but he still wanted her in bed..... About six months ago he decided to kick her out of bed, she has a HUGE dog bed in our room to sleep on and a blankie right next to the bed, but guess what, she WILL NOT sleep anywhere but the bed. She will either repeatedly hop up into bed when we fall asleep or she will pace and whine *all night long*. She has to sleep downstairs in her kennel now because she would not be banished from the bed.

Not to make you afraid of the transition Jody, just wanted to warn you that it could go a little more roughly than other people's seem to have gone. Sorry! :sad2:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » July 22nd, 2009, 12:16 am

lol

I got a bigger bed... :oops:
Daisy doesn't really like sleeping on the bed, never has, and she also has a hard time jumping up there at 14.
The boys... total bed hogs when I let them be. I found it easier to potty train puppies by letting them sleep w/me since most will not pee in the bed and make a big fuss if they have to go out in the middle of the night.
So, now Sepp sleeps on my right, and Faust sleeps on my left. Every so often they meet in the middle (on top of me) for an early morning tussle. :rolleyes2: :nono:

But, I agree - I think they would be fine sleeping on the floor or in their crates - it's just that I would miss them.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » July 22nd, 2009, 12:32 am

I'm a mean mommy that doesn't allow any dogs in the bedroom let alone on the bed. The bedroom is 'doggie free zone' for the cats. Every once in a while I'll let a clean doggie cuddle with me on the bed for a bit but that's about it. Well, when Chris is out of town then I left Buford sleep on the bed with me if he wants, but he generally chooses the whole couch to himself or he'll drag his bed down the hallway and sleep right in the bedroom doorway. :crazy2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » July 22nd, 2009, 3:25 am

I love me some Buford! :D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior