Please, good thoughts and prayers...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Oh, and here are some pics I posted of Asja, the babies, and the contraption we came up with to protect Dru's wounds

viewtopic.php?f=28&p=344830#p344830
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » July 20th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Glad she's feeling better!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » July 21st, 2009, 12:55 am

She looks really good and the puppies are so tiny and adorable!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby katiek0417 » July 22nd, 2009, 12:07 am

Just a quick update (I need to try to catch a few hours of sleep before I'm up again to feed puppies)...

I took Dru back to the vet today. The wound has not shrunk at all since Friday. They are trying some new bandaging on her that they think might promote skin/tissue growth. The vet thinks it might be another 3-4 weeks before we see that wound finally close. That being said, she will have to remain on the amikacin and daily fluids until it fully closes (the risk of re-infection are too high for her to go off of them)...

I know that what we're doing will save her. I do. But, she's becoming a pin cushion. Today, at the vet's office, all she wanted was to be on my lap...and she just kept looking up at me with those big trusting eyes of hers, and I feel so bad for what she's being put through...and I feel guilty that I took her to that first crackpot of a vet to begin with.... :sad2:

Sorry, guess I'm just tired...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 22nd, 2009, 3:08 am

Hang in there, Katrina. :hug3: I sometimes felt the same way when Kato was going through chemo, especially this last time when he almost died. We do the best we can. If it weren't for you she might not be with us now.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » July 22nd, 2009, 3:28 am

But Dru wants to live, and whats a little discomfort for that? I'm sure it must be discouraging, but you gotta look at the bigger picture :hug3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » July 22nd, 2009, 11:21 am

It's all worth it, Katrina. It'll be better soon, it's a rough moment to pass...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » July 22nd, 2009, 12:57 pm

CinderDee wrote:Hang in there, Katrina. :hug3: I sometimes felt the same way when Kato was going through chemo, especially this last time when he almost died. We do the best we can. If it weren't for you she might not be with us now.

I don't know how you did it, Dee...seriously...this absolutely kills me...we were giving her the amikacin last night, and she started yelping...and it breaks my heart (and it doesn't help that Greg gets mad at me when I break down in tears :rolleyes2: )

I know that she wants to live...at least I hope that's what she wants...she has no life right now...she's on quarantine, she goes to the bathroom a few times a day...but it's out, potty, then right back in...We do bandage changes, fluids, etc...but again, it's out, then immediately right back in...no playing with us, no playing with the other dogs...I try to do short walks with her...but she gets tired pretty quick...

Thank you everyone for your support...I know I'm talking gibberish, and just being stupid...but...well, you know...I just feel bad that Dru is in pain, and there's nothing MORE I can do for her...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jackuul » July 22nd, 2009, 1:09 pm

That vet, the kook who said she had no infection... must be put down.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » July 23rd, 2009, 6:38 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
CinderDee wrote:Hang in there, Katrina. :hug3: I sometimes felt the same way when Kato was going through chemo, especially this last time when he almost died. We do the best we can. If it weren't for you she might not be with us now.

I don't know how you did it, Dee...seriously...this absolutely kills me...we were giving her the amikacin last night, and she started yelping...and it breaks my heart (and it doesn't help that Greg gets mad at me when I break down in tears :rolleyes2: )

I know that she wants to live...at least I hope that's what she wants...she has no life right now...she's on quarantine, she goes to the bathroom a few times a day...but it's out, potty, then right back in...We do bandage changes, fluids, etc...but again, it's out, then immediately right back in...no playing with us, no playing with the other dogs...I try to do short walks with her...but she gets tired pretty quick...

Thank you everyone for your support...I know I'm talking gibberish, and just being stupid...but...well, you know...I just feel bad that Dru is in pain, and there's nothing MORE I can do for her...

You're not being stupid at all, Katrina. :hug3: You're a compassionate woman who loves her dog. It's a tough thing for you & Dru to go through, but it will all be worth it once she's better and the puppies are weaned. You really are a terrific owner!

Tell Greg to lighten up or you'll ignore him next time he's sick. :wink:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby katiek0417 » July 23rd, 2009, 7:09 pm

CinderDee wrote:You're not being stupid at all, Katrina. :hug3: You're a compassionate woman who loves her dog. It's a tough thing for you & Dru to go through, but it will all be worth it once she's better and the puppies are weaned. You really are a terrific owner!

Tell Greg to lighten up or you'll ignore him next time he's sick. :wink:

Thank you, Dee :hug3:

And, wait, so nothing will change if I ignore him when he's sick? :wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby CinderDee » July 24th, 2009, 1:22 am

And, wait, so nothing will change if I ignore him when he's sick?

A woman after my own heart. lol
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » July 24th, 2009, 4:22 pm

How is she doing today?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 4:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:How is she doing today?

I actually just got back from the vet's office!

There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel! :dance: We're not out of the woods, but I feel like I finally have something good to write about.

We got to the vet's office today for a bandage change...and he came in and looked at her, and thought there might be enough granulation to close up the wound! So, the minor sedation for a bandage change turned into a surgery complete with intubation.

Well, he was right...he was able to fully close her wound...he did put in a drain (b/c she's still draining), but at least now she doesn't have a gaping wound on her belly!

He also took some yuck from it, and is sending it for a culture...she's only been on the amikacin for 7 days, and her numbers were sky high when she got cultured the first time, so he knows the infection isn't gone, but he's at least hoping the numbers are going down (if they aren't, we will have to change the antibiotic she's on)...so, now my fingers are crossed that (1) these stitches hold (he thinks they will...but, well, she's Dru); and (2) that her "organism count" is decreasing...

But, I really am happy...he said that if the stitches hold, it will significantly cut down on her healing time (he was telling me before that skin granulation only occurs at about 1mm per day, and her wound was 2.5-3 inches wide...you can do the math to see how long it would take to close! :rolleyes2: )

So, YAY!!!! :dance:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Yay!!!!

Dru seems to be a tough little cookie... she must get that from her Momma Katrina! :D :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm

amazincc wrote:Yay!!!!

Dru seems to be a tough little cookie... she must get that from her Momma Katrina! :D :wink:

I wouldn't go that far, I nearly passed out when they put in the IV cath...I was standing there watching...they went to start the intubation, and I was like "ummm, I'm leaving."

I came back after they were done, and she was still out cold, and she looked dead...I nearly cried! :sad2:

So, tough, no....just persistent, I think...

Of course, we go to get in the car, and she jumps in...great, so the jumping is starting again! :rolleyes2:

Oh, but we did have a moment where I felt just awful...we were walking in to the vet, and they take us in through the side b/c of the risk of contamination...and we get in the door, and she put the brakes on...I had to drag her back... :sad2:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 24th, 2009, 5:02 pm

I'm so glad that it seems like she's doing better!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 5:08 pm

great!

we're crossing fingers and paws!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » July 24th, 2009, 6:19 pm

WOOHOO!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » July 25th, 2009, 1:31 am

Great news!!! :clap:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health