Exercise games outdoor and indoor any ideas?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:19 am

How much exercise does a dog need per day?

What if you dont have a yard to exercise in?

Do brain games count as exercise? I need more brain game ideas any good websites?
I would especially like more shaping exercises. Rocky's favorite. But he is getting bored with the ones I know of.

What other outdoor games are there other than playing fetch? Not to agressive play since I have kids.

What do you all do with your dogs and how much?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 26th, 2006, 8:29 am

Our newest game - created by my four year old daughter is the doggie easter egg hunt.

She put liver bits into the small easter eggs and hid them while I was in the shower one morning. I came out to find the dogs excitedly sniffering every corner of the living room.

Petey picked up first, find the egg, bring it to the Gremlin to open and give him the treat. Crunch the egg once and you get scolded, crunch it twice and go into another room for a time out.

We expanded it to the backyard and the dogs have a blast and it keeps both dogs and the Gremlin busy for awhile.

NILIF rules apply. The dog must sit, wait while you open the egg, offer a trick or perform a trick, then take the treat gently.

Oh yeah - we keep a squirt bottle with plain water in it for the NO ROUGHING call in case it is needed.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:40 am

No Roughing? What would be considered roughing?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 26th, 2006, 11:33 am

houlabulla? wrote:No Roughing? What would be considered roughing?

Roughing is any rough behavior such as jumping around like a lunatic inside the house, racing around inside the house, jumping on people, playing bitey face or wrestling or stealing the other dog or child's toy.

They know that if they hear NO ROUGHING, that they're getting too rambunctous and to take it down a notch or settle down.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby babyreba » April 26th, 2006, 11:59 am

I make Reba sit or down/stay in one room, and I'll take one of her stuffy toys and hide it somewhere in another room.

Then I call her in and tell her to "find it," and she'll search and search for the toy. She gets so excited, she loves it.

It's not hard exercise by any means, but it definitely keeps her busy and her mind occupied for a while. Plus, it's fun!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 26th, 2006, 12:03 pm

running walking , hiking.. for at least an hour
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » April 26th, 2006, 12:19 pm

we fetch, its Oscar "job". He is VERY serious about it. We go to school fields and I keep an eye out for strange dogs, who we avoid. Obviously we avoid school hours or events

Oscar has his treat ball dispenser, wich I used to use all the time. The ball has an opening where you can change the size of the hole where the treats or kibble comes out. The dog has to roll the ball around and work it at certain angles to get the food out. I used to use Oscar's all the time with him, he loved it, now I have carpets and the crumbs from the kibble aren't really a great thing, so we don't do that any more. The ball we have also has squeaky noise makers in it that I think added to the fun.

Teaching any new command or trick is always good head work, I think.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Romanwild » April 26th, 2006, 12:23 pm

In the house, the laser and the tug. I wrestle with them too!

Outside, I use the bike attachment. Running with me. Long hour+ long walks. Spring pole, flirt pole, frisbee, agility.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 12:52 pm

I have been doing hour walks. I would like to try the NO Roughing play. Since I think I have been avoiding the play especially with my youngest son because of the Roughing holden explained especially the stealing and the bitey face.
Whats the best way to teach no Roughing?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 26th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Romanwild wrote:Outside, I use the bike attachment.

Are those safe???Or do you use prong with them? :| I was thinking to get one,but then what happens when they see a squirrel,or a cat or anything else and they get exciting?They really can't pull the bike away?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 3:20 pm

I have not seen a bike attatchment sounds cool!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 26th, 2006, 3:24 pm

They look like this.It's hard to belive the dog can pull to the other way,but won't pull the bike away.... :?

Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Yikes that is hard to believe. Does the harness come with it or do you need to buy a special harness?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Use your head, wear a helmet!!!!!!! and knee pads and elbow pads, long pants, long sleves. Im sure I would get taken for a ride. The dog in that photo looks like he is pulling in the other direction. Expression on guys face looks intense.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 26th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Nope,just the attachment! Isn't hard to belive they can't pull you away???If anybody using this with a dog-aggro dog let me know! If it really works I order one tomorrow! :D
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health