Do any of your dogs "hide" stuff?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 19th, 2009, 10:16 am

I put hide in quotes because Inara thinks she's hiding stuff...lol. That's the only explanation I have for her behavior.

She'll get attached to certain toys for long periods of time, and when she's done playing with them, she "hides" them in the middle of the floor...or in dog beds. She's very deliberate about it...she'll place the toy JUST SO, and then walk away carefully. :lookaround: The toy might be on top of the blankets in the wicker dog basket, or near the doorway to a room, or sometimes in the middle of the floor. Then she'll walk away, but if anyone goes near the toy she "hid", she goes rushing back and grabs the toy...sometimes making little "I can't believe you did that!" noises. :crazy2: It's so silly.

The others never go near the toys on purpose...they just happen to want to walk in that direction, or lay in that bed...but she always looks so surprised that they would DARE go near her hidden object. :giggle: She's such a goon.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2009, 11:08 am

Dru hoardes....kongs...Cy loves kongs, and will play with them in the yard and in his crate...but Dru only likes them in the yard...then she'll carry them in, and put them in her crate...

I went out one day to put her bowl in her crate, and I had to move about 15 kongs out of the way! :rolleyes2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » July 19th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Mac and Tucker will take toys and hide them in their crates -- it's like they pick out their favourites among all the same type of nylabones that all look exactly the same, LOL. I've moved Mac's blanket in his crate and found seven of the exact same nylabone. :rolleyes2: :lol3:

Tucker will hide virtually any type of toy but his favourite toy is the kong ball. Any kong ball disappears as soon as I put it down. He gets frantic if he can't pick up all of them at once, LOL. We try not to tease him too much like that. :oops:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » July 19th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Sepp will hide things in plain sight... :rolleyes2: lol

Daisy hides balls in the yard and is the only one who remembers where she put them.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hoyden » July 19th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Petey used to have a bottom shelf on a book case where he put HIS stuff. Gods forbid you put anything else on HIS shelf lest he pee on it or shred it. It was kinda comical because he'd have all his toys out playing, then suddenly take his toys one at a time and put them away.

He used to hid ALL the toys from his litter mate, Rhianna, when we had her, and later Birdie too. But he'd share them with visiting dogs. :crazy2:

Birdie doesn't hide toys or bones, she lines them up. It's kinda weird.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby iluvk9 » July 19th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Darlene Linguine steals all the bones, toys or whatevers and hides them in her bed.

At one time, Truman was collecting acorns and hiding them under his mat in his crate.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » July 19th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Trouble does this with rawhide. Of course, this is something she never gets because it also makes her aggressive. She will wear the hide off her nose trying to hide it in the bed, under the covers.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pocketpit » July 20th, 2009, 1:59 am

Crash loved his rocks, but he was very particular about which ones he liked the most. He stored his favorites in his doghouse. Then whenever it was raining and he was outdoors he had friends to keep him company. You could hear him smashing them around into the walls having a good old time. He wasn't reallly hiding them since there was no one to guard them from but he certainly was good at storing his "toys" in a certain place.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2009, 3:21 am

Crash is no more? :sad2:

Oscar never hides anything, couple reasons I think
- he isn't really interested in toys unless he thinks someone might play WITH him and the toy, he doesn't play by himself. Then his toy drive is through the roof.
- he is the only dog. No one to hide them from :|

It will be interesting if we get another dog in Oscar's lifetime...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby jnreem » July 20th, 2009, 9:06 am

Buddy hides toys and raw hides all over the place, his favorite is in one of the plants in the house,he gets dirt everywhere. But recently he tried to hide one in the middle of the floor and he rubbed his face against the carpet to i guess bury it :crazy2: and he ended up having carpet burn on his face.. :nono: and if he see you lookig at him while he is "hiding" he will go back get the toy and then hide it someplace else.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » July 20th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Ummm Gator just throws his toys around the house. :crazy2: but no hiding so far. I dont know about Sorsha yet.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby kera09 » July 20th, 2009, 5:00 pm

duge will take a bone and tries to hide them in the couch. he once rubbed his nose raw!! Ava takes her bones outside and buries them. last summer she burried 2 and this spring i noticed she was digging. iwent out there and she was digging up the bones from last summer!!! lulu doesnt hide anything! hehe
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jackuul » July 21st, 2009, 2:21 am

So this and the posts I have read might be a sign that dogs have more going on upstairs than we think.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » July 22nd, 2009, 1:07 am

iluvk9 wrote:At one time, Truman was collecting acorns and hiding them under his mat in his crate.

:doh: :backRoll:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Return to Training & Behavior