Medical Grade Honey...

Postby katiek0417 » July 18th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Anyone ever use it for wounds? If so, what were the results? I've heard really good things (e.g., research indicates that it actually halts the growth of and kills MRSA), and I'm considering it for use on Dru's belly...but I'm worried b/c I have to keep the wound covered...and honey is stickey - so I don't want to take bandages off and rip her open b/c of the honey...so, I'm just wondering if anyone ever had any experience with it!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » July 18th, 2009, 5:30 pm

My Mom always smeared it on us when we had cuts. They healed, but I don't know how much faster. :| We would lick it off sometimes. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hoyden » July 18th, 2009, 6:33 pm

I swear by the use of manuka honey for healing wounds. Due to the condition I have (sjogren's syndrom) anytime I get a cut or an open wound, it takes forever to heal. The manuka honey makes a huge difference in the time it takes for them to close up and completely heal.

I get it from Garden of Wisdom on line: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/home.html

I just had strep throat, which ended up with me getting two huge cold sores, one on each side of my mouth. They popped up on July 9 th. The one on the right side, that I put manuka honey on is gone, it was the larger of the two. The one on the left hasn't reached the pink skin stage yet, it still has a scab on it. I put abreva on the left side and used carmex lip balm for cold sores.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » July 19th, 2009, 3:10 am

just make sure to get unpasturized.

Its generally used on open wounds (with bandages) so I don't think you'll have any problem changing the bandage :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2009, 11:01 am

Okay...I'll try it...I'm kinda willing to do anything to help her!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » July 19th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Plain white sugar on the wound also really helps for creating granulation tissue.
Honey also works really well, but I don't know about the pasteurized/unpasteurized part (wouldn't pasteurization control the bacteria present in the honey?)
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » July 19th, 2009, 2:41 pm

call2arms wrote:Plain white sugar on the wound also really helps for creating granulation tissue.
Honey also works really well, but I don't know about the pasteurized/unpasteurized part (wouldn't pasteurization control the bacteria present in the honey?)

Supposedly Manuka honey is supposed to be really good for wounds....there's also an antibiotic property to it...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby plebayo » July 20th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Question.

Is kills MRSA?? Would it be something I could essentially feed my dog... or water down and do a nasal flush with if the antibiotic she is on doesn't kill it?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2009, 8:46 pm

plebayo wrote:Question.

Is kills MRSA?? Would it be something I could essentially feed my dog... or water down and do a nasal flush with if the antibiotic she is on doesn't kill it?

From everything I've read it stops the growth of and can kill MRSA...I know that humans can eat it...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Hoyden » July 20th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Yep, humans can eat it. Last time I was sick, I had really bad sores in my mouth after having a high fever, I used the honey to help them heal faster because they hurt like hell.

I love this stuff.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Hoyden wrote:Yep, humans can eat it. Last time I was sick, I had really bad sores in my mouth after having a high fever, I used the honey to help them heal faster because they hurt like hell.

I love this stuff.

So, do you think it would be safe for dogs to eat/lick a little?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies