Distemper Only Vaccine

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » July 16th, 2009, 10:29 am

I thought I remember someone else on the board looking for this at one point and I was just wondering if they had any luck locating it.

Kayden had his physical a short while back and I had him titered for parvo and distemper. His parvo numbers were as high as they could possibly be but his distemper was pretty low. I help out at a shelter quite often so I'm a bit hesitent to play roulette with something like distemper.

I called the vet to see if this is something they had which of course turned into a 10 minute argument with the receptionist about why I couldn't just give the combo vaccine, that it wouldn't hurt him and that they have a lepto only vaccine that I could give to him :doh: They didn't have any in stock but where going to check around.

Anyone ever have luck finding such a thing?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2009, 12:38 pm

I talked to a vet tech friend a while back about it...and if I remember correctly, she said that there either weren't distemper only vax available, or that they were iffy somehow...I'll ask her again.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2009, 3:31 pm

maberi wrote:I called the vet to see if this is something they had which of course turned into a 10 minute argument with the receptionist about why I couldn't just give the combo vaccine, that it wouldn't hurt him and that they have a lepto only vaccine that I could give to him :doh: They didn't have any in stock but where going to check around.

I'm so glad this doesn't happen at my vet's. They answer the phone, take notes about your question, offer suggestions and that's it. The most I've ever gotten is "I don't think we do that here, but I'll have the vet call you."

Sure, the combo "won't hurt him," vaccines don't hurt any dogs, right? :rolleyes2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » July 16th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Well, one thing is for sure, the diseases the vaccines prevent definitely do hurt dogs.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Malli wrote:Well, one thing is for sure, the diseases the vaccines prevent definitely do hurt dogs.

Absolutely, however after what happened to Matt before, you'd think the vet's office would pay a little more attention to who they are talking to and what they say.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » July 16th, 2009, 4:14 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Malli wrote:Well, one thing is for sure, the diseases the vaccines prevent definitely do hurt dogs.

Absolutely, however after what happened to Matt before, you'd think the vet's office would pay a little more attention to who they are talking to and what they say.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the people working at the front desk have the best intentions in mind and vaccination reactions are rare, BUT they do happen.

I am smart enough to not let Yoda's situation cloud my judgement, but seeing that dog die a slow horribly painful death to the point where he couldn't stand on his own, lost all motor skills in his rear, couldn't be touched without screaming in pain and lost bladder control so he was urinating all over me while I carried him into the office to be put down certainly has made me a little bit more careful in the vaccination protocals I am willing to follow with my dogs.

I'm definitely not a tree hugging hippy that dances around my dogs and shakes pixy dust at them to ward off the evil bugs. I'm following the guidelines outlined by AAHA. Kayden's titer levels for parvo were through the roof. On the scale they tested them on they couldn't have been any higher. The manufacturers recommend annual boosters but most independent studies show protection for up to 7 years. Why in the world would I feel comfortable pumping more of that into his system when it is already off the charts. :|

I'm doing what I feel is right and am not ignoring that his Distemper levels are on the low end of the scale. I paid nearly triple what I would have had to pay for the combo vaccinations to have titers done, and am willing to pay whatever else to have a single Distemper booster done if I can find one.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » July 16th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Gah, Matt... I don't blame you at all.
After what happened to Faust (who WAS vaccinated and STILL contracted Parvo) I am so, so hesitant about vaccinations now.
I'm thinking of doing just the state-mandated rabies vaccine for my dogs and leave it at that.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 16th, 2009, 7:50 pm

but was he fully vaccinated? Puppy series is generally 3 boosters...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 16th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Malli wrote:but was he fully vaccinated? Puppy series is generally 3 boosters...

He only had his first set two weeks prior to getting sick. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blabsforbullies » July 16th, 2009, 9:10 pm

amazincc wrote:
Malli wrote:but was he fully vaccinated? Puppy series is generally 3 boosters...

Not to start a debate or to be a pain here, but having one isn't enough to provide "full" protection (although NO vaccine is 100% :wink: ). To play devil's advocate, it may have been that one vaccine that gave him enough immunity to survive :dance: , vs.the alternative. :sad2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » July 16th, 2009, 9:35 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:
amazincc wrote:

Not to start a debate or to be a pain here, but having one isn't enough to provide "full" protection (although NO vaccine is 100% :wink: ). To play devil's advocate, it may have been that one vaccine that gave him enough immunity to survive :dance: , vs.the alternative. :sad2:

Oooohhhh... I hadn't looked at it that way... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks, Dr. Blabs. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blabsforbullies » July 16th, 2009, 9:49 pm

amazincc wrote:
blabsforbullies wrote:

Oooohhhh... I hadn't looked at it that way... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks, Dr. Blabs. :)

I'm just glad he did survive, whatever the reason! :hug3:

As for the distemper vaccine with no parvovirus, I cannot say that I have ever seen such a vaccine, to be honest. :|
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby call2arms » July 16th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Yeah, I've never seen a distemper-only vaccine... These days, companies tend to lump as many vaccines in one injection, so it's more like the opposite.

Looking around on internet, there's the Galaxy "Galaxy-D" which is a single distemper vaccine, but I don't know how reliable that company would be, I've never heard that name. Unless your vet had single-vaccine protocols, there's no point ordering a box of those for using one, as they usually come pre-packaged fair numbers...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » July 16th, 2009, 10:42 pm

There is a distemper only vax in this area...I'm still waiting on more info...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2009, 10:48 pm

I think our vet said we could do them separately with Connor. I'll call tomorrow and ask.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 8:57 pm

http://www.allsizepets.com/product/6358/Vaccines

Vaccine-Schering-Distemper Only Canine, 25x1dose/pack, Galaxy D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health