Any Northern CA residents?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby concreterose » April 25th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Have any airline approved crates lying around you'd be willing to donate to Home at Last Rescue? We are trying to cut costs to get Marco shipped to Michigan as much as we can. He is about 65 lbs, so it would need to be an XL size. Here's a link to the type of crate that is needed!
The rescue will also give you a tax deductible receipt.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » April 25th, 2006, 10:18 pm

The link did not work for me, I could not see the pic!

But I'd imagine you need a Vari Kennel crate, or similar. I am pretty sure those are Airline approved. And if you get a used one, check with the airlines and see if you need the water dish thingy that attaches to the crate door. I think that may be a requirement for flying a dog.

It might be worth checking ebay to see if there is one offered nearby. Often the big crates go cheap.

And if you have to get one sent to you or borrow one and need to sent it back, you can send a crate by Fed Ex Ground for cheap if you take it apart and wrap it with cardboard or strap it together. I had one shipped that way going about 1000 miles and it cost $25.

Congrats on Marco! I hope you get the details worked out!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby concreterose » April 26th, 2006, 8:55 am

Thanks for the info gf! We have someone who is willing to buy Marco a brand new crate if we don't get one donated...then the money can be put towards his flight!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Asta » April 26th, 2006, 9:14 am

Just a word of advice! I am sure that you have checked this already, BUT just in case you hadnt then make sure that there are not special regualtions are far as crates goes depending on breed!
When Guinness was shipped with Air Canada we had to build a special cage (yeah, that wasnt a crate anymore...) made out of an inner steelstructure and an out shell of wood. It had to have 2 doors and 2 openings, 1 for food and 1 for water. Frixkking thing weighed over 60 kg´s!!!
At the airport on sweden they said that they had never seen such a cage excpet the one time they got a Gorilla shipped...

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby turtle » April 26th, 2006, 11:32 am

Oh, I remember that huge cage that had to be made for poor Guinness! It was huge! I had never seen anything like it, you'd think she was a lion or something. Did you donate that huge crate to the local zoo???

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 26th, 2006, 11:42 am

I remember it too, it looked like it should have held Hannibal Lector, NOT Miss G.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » April 26th, 2006, 11:47 am

From what I know in the US, most all commercial airlines require a Vari Kennel type crate with an attached water dish. Like these in the ebay links below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7762045797

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7761390868

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7760925002

What size does he need? They make them in a 36" long one and a 32" long one and also bigger than that. My 50 pound dog fits well in both the 36" and the 32", I use the 32" for the car because it fits better in my car.

But it would be a good idea to check if they have any breed restrictions. There are usually restrictions for temperature in both the departing airport and arriving airport, but since this not the middle of summer or winter, the temps should be ok. Maybe handsome Marco can go as a Boxer or Lab mix?

And since he is in Northern CA, would Bad Rap maybe have a crate they could loan or donate? It could be shipped back to them by Fed Ex Ground, don't check with UPS for shipping as they add a huge amount for "oversize" and Fed Ex Ground does not, so their rates are about half the cost!

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Asta » April 26th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Nah, its in my parents stable waiting for some neighbour to go all werewolf on us one of these fullmoo, it will come in handy i am sure hhaha

Remember this:

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby concreterose » April 26th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Hi all!
We have two people that are willing to donate/buy crates. So Marco is all set for a crate! :bounce:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk