Need some ideas...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » July 10th, 2009, 10:01 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Be cautious with the tea tree oil, Christine - if I remember correctly, I believe it's toxic to kitties.

Yeah, most of the links I posted mentioned that too...:)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2009, 10:12 am

I'd be careful with tea tree...I seem to remember somewhere that it might be toxic to young puppies - I know Faust is slightly older than these guys, but I'm not sure if it would affect him b/c he's been so sick...I use tea tree cleaners around here...and I'm very careful to let it fully dry before letting the puppies anywhere near it...

And, yes, it is toxic to kitties...

However, I do agree that once he is able to eat normally, he should fatten right up!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » July 10th, 2009, 10:24 am

Also, with the echinacea... The pill form is ok, but the liquid is more potent, if I'm not mistaken. You just have to make sure you don't do it for over a week at a time (it's an iimmune system booster, so it shouldn't be taken for a long term daily basis, that is apparently not useful). Also, make sure you get a tincture that is made with glycerol, not alcohol, it's more appropriate for a puppy and it tastes a lot better.

If you weren't over the border I'd have my herbolist friend make a special mix for Faust, but I don't think the customs would let a little bottle of home made tinctures cross over...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » July 10th, 2009, 12:25 pm

juniper8204 wrote:maybe I'm a google-tard

lmao
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby juniper8204 » July 11th, 2009, 11:34 am

Sorry for not posting about tea tree being toxic to kitties...I kinda wrote that in a rush. Yes it is toxic to cats...luckily I didn't have to worry about that since I don't have any. And the echinacea Oona was on was pill form...and she stayed on a pill a day for a day or two after she came home, but not more than a week. Echinacea, for people at least, should be an on and off again thing. It's an immune booster and it has anti-microbial and anti-viral properties.

Tea tree can be toxic to puppies in large doses. My vet did some research and said that a few drops on the spots of mange daily wouldn't hurt her. She was only about 7-8 weeks old when she had parvo. The mange showed up about a week or two after she came home. Oh, and don't ever give the tea tree internally.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 11th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Jennifer (LMM) sent a care package to Faust... he's taking his drops (and meds), and is back to eating like a horse. I'm pretty sure he has already gained back every ounce he lost, and then some. :shock: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » July 11th, 2009, 7:17 pm

:clap: :) :clap:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby juniper8204 » July 11th, 2009, 7:55 pm

YAY!!!! :confetti:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health