Big dog fighting ring busted, 350 dogs seized

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby LMM » July 9th, 2009, 9:33 am

(CNN) -- An investigation into dogfighting across five states has resulted in federal charges against 19 people, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Wednesday.
More than 350 dogs were seized after an investigation into dogfighting across five states.

More than 350 dogs were seized after an investigation into dogfighting across five states.

Indictments unsealed in Missouri, Illinois and Texas detailed gambling rings in which owners bred and trained dogs to fight, then killed them if the animals were badly wounded or failed to perform as desired, according to separate Justice Department statements issued in Missouri and Illinois.

Some of the suspects allegedly served as referees for fights, while others were accused of being "sponge-men" who wiped off blood and cooled down dogs during matches, one of the statements said.

More than 350 dogs, primarily pit bull terriers, were seized in a series of coordinated raids on various dogfighting venues, it said.

The statement named seven suspects from Missouri, Nebraska and Iowa who will face a variety of charges including conspiracy, illegal gambling and bookmaking. Each of the five counts in the indictment carries a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment without parole and a maximum fine of $250,000, the statement said.

"The indictment alleges that the defendants denied the dogs adequate and humane medical treatment of wounds and injuries suffered as a result of the dogfights," the statement said. "The defendants routinely and inhumanely destroyed dogs that became severely injured as a result of a fight, the indictment says, by shooting the dogs in the head, then throwing the carcasses into the river or burning them in a barrel."

According to the statement, one of the accused works for a state school for the handicapped, another is a registered nurse at a Missouri community hospital and a third works for a school district.

Another Justice Department statement identified five East St. Louis, Illinois, residents who were charged with one count each of conspiracy to commit unlawful activities of dogfighting.

There was no further information immediately available on the other seven suspects charged in Missouri and Texas.

Awareness of the prevalence of dogfighting in the United States increased in 2007 when NFL star Michael Vick, then of the Atlanta Falcons, pleaded guilty to a federal charge of bankrolling a dogfighting operation at his Virginia home.

Vick was released from prison in May to serve the final two months of his 23-month sentence in home confinement

I really hope everyone keeps good on their word to individually temperament test these dogs :(

When I think of the sheer numbers, that include the bodies, I want to weep.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby ArtGypsy » July 9th, 2009, 9:38 am

:sad2: :puke: :sad2: :puke: :sad2: :puke: :sad2:

Oh my gawd.

Nebraska???????!!!!!!!!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby iluvk9 » July 9th, 2009, 10:36 am

I have learned that there are so many SICK people in this world. :nono:

Those poor dogs....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » July 9th, 2009, 11:02 am

Those poor dogs! :cry:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2009, 3:07 pm

I'm speechless... but, sadly, not surprised. :nono: :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » July 9th, 2009, 7:50 pm

i hate people! those poor dogs!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » July 9th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Shooting them would be too kind. :bs:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby GloriasMom » July 11th, 2009, 9:12 am

One positive thing I heard was a news broadcast where the announcer said the dogs had been RESCUED from the bastards -- not seized. Maybe at least some attitudes are changing and the dogs are now being seen as helpless victims of man's cruelty instead of "possessions" to be removed and then thrown away.
Come and see our Gang. 9 of them still live here....whew!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/holeinthewallrescue/
GloriasMom
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » July 16th, 2009, 3:19 pm

407 dogs and the numbers are growing. Some have had litters and they know some others are pregnant :(

http://www.fox2now.com/ktvi-pit-bull-re ... 4448.story

They are making a plea for reputable rescues to step forward.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jackuul » July 18th, 2009, 9:29 pm

If I was still there you could guarantee I would adopt one. Some of those poor bait dogs are the ones in need of the most stable and good environments where the other dogs don't attack it, but rather are normal around them. Of all the dogs in dog-fighting, my sympathy is deepest with those that don't lift a paw or open a jaw to fight back out of terror - the horrors they have endured and the suffering make those behind it, the humans, some of the most reviled and despicable in recent history, akin with (and this is my opinion) the likes of Joseph Mengele and Heinrich Himmler in terms of brutality and barbarism visited upon another living being.

The animals that have had their teeth removed are always on my mind now, and I have no idea if there are any methods to repair the damage done by the greed of man. However - I have sent off a few emails to animal dentistry practitioners and I will post results for that, and if they all come up blank (no procedures) then I am going to attempt to use by basic knowledge of human dentistry and operations/methods of repair and speak to any vets or dentists I can for seeing if something could be done just to restore the basic ability to chew their food. I doubt dog dentures would work - but perhaps permanent dog dentures anchored in would be a start. Sorry if I got lost in a tangent train of thought, but being able to not only rescue, but also improve the quality of life for these animals beyond mush food is also something I see as a goal.
Jackuul
Just Whelped

Postby kera09 » July 20th, 2009, 11:54 am

wow thats alot of dogs!!!!!!!!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » July 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm

so the dogs taken will be given a chance?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » July 20th, 2009, 7:27 pm

That's what they are saying. I'm still skeptical of course simply because of who is involved but I'm tentatively optimistic.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LaceysHuman » July 22nd, 2009, 12:39 am

that is just sick. it kills me to even think of those poor dogs. and unfortunatly, i can picture them.... the people involved should be put to death, that is so wrong. it is just so sad that there are people like that on this earth... :mad2:
LaceysHuman
Just Whelped

Postby Jenny » October 31st, 2009, 12:29 pm

Heres the link for HS of MO for updates on the cases... most of the dogs have been signed over to the Humane Society now.
http://member.hsmo.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Federal_Dog_Fighting_Landing_Page
They have a ton of dogs ready for rescue and adoption.

I spent some days working in the kennels there last week and saw so many wonderful dogs... it was really incredible.. I wish I could go and stay longer..It was mind blowing and heartbreaking and at the same time gave me inspiration at what this group of folks has done for the dogs.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenny » October 31st, 2009, 12:37 pm

okay heres what I meant to post...

Edited by PBT Staff because cases have not been finalized:

PLACEMENT OF DOGS
Qualified rescue groups and shelters who are interested in providing permanent homes for the dogs should contact the Humane Society of Missouri, 314-802-5712 or pwhitcraft@hsmo.org.
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby lpyrbby » November 1st, 2009, 5:52 pm

Jenny, is it okay to be posting the link to that? We all signed a confidentiality agreement. There are still dogs that haven't been released to HSMO yet. Posting this link that is viewable to the public (when the link is private and meant for rescues only) could be putting these dogs at risk. We, as a rescue, aren't allowed to even use the pics on the pdf for soliciting for foster homes.
lpyrbby
Just Whelped

Postby Jenny » November 3rd, 2009, 2:49 pm

I'm sorry, I thought that was a public link! Michelle, please take my ENTIRE POST OFF!!! :shock:
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenny » November 7th, 2009, 2:10 am

Thank you PBT Staff for the edit... can't take me anywhere :oops: :doh: :nono:
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jackuul » November 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Wut? :neutral: