Faust

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 3:47 pm

He's been improving steadily... YAY! :confetti:

He also came home w/a major attitude. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lots of nipping and snarking when it's time to take his meds. Suddenly doesn't want his ears, muzzle, or feet touched... he has growled at me and bitten me several times when I tried to clean his ears.
He immediately pees when I pick him up off the floor or call him over to me. Lots of screaming in the crate, as well as shredding of any and all bedding. Potty-training... we are starting from scratch. :rolleyes2:

He's also been extremely snarky and possessive over any treats/toys that he has in the crate... if one of the other dogs as much as look at him or walk past the crate, he will hurl himself against the bars, growling/snarling, hackles up, tail stiff. Oy. :neutral:

He's okay when he plays w/Sepp in the yard or isn't confined, and everyone is fed/gets treats in separate locations.
Should I worry??? Or could his behavior have been caused by having been in isolation at the vet for four days? I don't punish him for any of the unwanted behaviors other than ignore or crate him for a while.

I'm as non-confrontational as possible when I handle him, but I need to address the asshat behavior before he turns from a 20-pound nuisance into a 70+ menace.

Any ideas?

Hmmm... this probably should be in the Behavior section, huh? :oops: :P
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2009, 6:21 pm

I'd start him on some NILIF with clicker training for good behavior (handling exercises, basic obedience, etc).

My gang has been known to be snarkier than usual after long absences too. Not having to worry about competition for resources can make some dogs/pups a little "uppity".
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 7:01 pm

I already do NILIF... he can plunk down on his butt amazingly fast when it comes to meal times and treats. :rolleyes2: lol

All the clicker/potty training pretty much went out of the window while he was at the vet. *Sigh*
Guess we're gonna have to start from scratch. Fun times. :D

Since you "tamed" Gibbs... should I ignore the snarling/biting??? We have to do meds for another five days.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » July 7th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Snarking...... No not my little man, you must be wrong (mistaken)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 7:22 pm

lol @ Bob... have you ever tried to wrestle a snapping turtle??? Picture THAT, only w/a Pit Bull. A CUTE Pit Bull, but one w/sharp puppy teeth and an attitude. :crazy2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2009, 8:19 pm

amazincc wrote:I already do NILIF... he can plunk down on his butt amazingly fast when it comes to meal times and treats. :rolleyes2: lol

All the clicker/potty training pretty much went out of the window while he was at the vet. *Sigh*
Guess we're gonna have to start from scratch. Fun times. :D

Since you "tamed" Gibbs... should I ignore the snarling/biting??? We have to do meds for another five days.

Yup, I ignored big displays from Gibbs...as it was mainly fear-based, and I didn't want to do anything that would make him lose his trust in me...he had so little trust back then. I let the other dogs work out any other displays towards them at the same time. Then I'd start with clicking for the handling, or just having really good reinforcers at the same time (if I had to do something...but didn't have time for click/treat...I'd just have the jar of peanut butter for him to lick out of while I did something to him)

the training will come back...he's just not feeling himself, and feels out of sorts and a bit lost I'm sure. :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2009, 11:57 pm

Here's one of my favorite articles on preparing for going to the vet...:)

http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... ympics.htm

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2009, 1:06 am

Thanks, Erin.

He actually did really well at the vet when we went for his first set of shots... and last week he was feeling way too crappy to act out... lol
I did start handling him right away when he first came here, and I had no problems cleaning his ears or checking his teeth. He already says "hi" (shakes paw), and we even have a special towel. Who knew??? :D

I gave him a bath tonight and wrapped him in a towel, pretty snug. He melted like butter on my lap... took his meds w/out too much protest, no snarking or biting at all. Clicked/treated for that, then left him alone. We have our next appointment in two weeks, and we'll practice "being handled" every day.

I think you were right, and he's still feeling a little out of sorts and overwhelmed... I have to remember to do baby steps.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2009, 4:17 am

whatever you do, don't stop giving the meds for that little temper tantrum, seen that all too often and the result isn't pretty. IMO medication should be in the "something you must always do" category, no options there : he doesn't have to like it, just do it. And sorry if you already knew all of this :)

Most likely they didn't take him out to potty at the vet's, too contagious, they'd have the same problem you do with disinfecting the yard, only with much more -sick- animal traffic. Plus with the IV fluids many puppies get all confuzzled about potty training.

I think if you continue to be consistent in your responses he'll give up ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » July 8th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Have you tried the "ten toss" to pill him?

Make ten balls of liverwurst and put the pills into balls 6 and 7 (one per ball, just keep putting them in)

Start tossing the balls to him. He'll probably chew the first few, but after that they usually just swallow them whole. Once he is "gulping" them, start tossing the pill filled ones, then follow up with a few more that don't have pills.

Riggs just eats pills (yes, any pills. he just chews them and swallows) but with the other two the tossing was the easiest thing to do.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Yep, tried that... he needs to take 3 pills twice a day, and one that's chewable and he loves (probiotic) every 8 hours. The antibiotics are pretty big, so that would be a ton of liverwurst twice a day... especially since he tends to chew it off, and spit out the pills. He's no dummy, the little stinker. :| lol

I have been wrapping him in a towel and just shove them down his gullet right now, as fast as possible. Then I give him a really GOOD treat (small pieces of microwaved hot dogs), and when he heard me rattling his pill bottles tonight he came right over and sat expectantly in front of me... damn dogs. LMAO
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2009, 10:07 pm

whatever works, treats for pills are fine in my books :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » July 9th, 2009, 10:07 pm

I shove them down the gullet too. Now when I pick up Dylan's he comes up to me and licks his lips and it's nothing but pills that I make him swallow. He is crazy.

ANYWAY, I'm gonna take the whole attitude thing as Faust feeling much better. YAY!!! Okay, and I know this SUX...but to be honest I almost think that his reaction is normal after being at the vet by himself for a bit. I'm sure you are gonna be able to handle it and he'll figure it all out.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Things are slowly "going back to normal"... YAY! :clap:

I've stopped thinking "oh, the pooooor puppy almost died and shouldn't be disciplined..." :oops: :rolleyes2: , and have gone back to being matter-of-fact when he starts his badass routine.
I let him sleep in his crate w/out any bedding for two nights, and I also removed all the treats - he was much more appreciative today when he got his stuff back. :)

Doing LOTS of clicking/treating for pottying outside, and for not getting snarky when taking meds, or when being handled. :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Training & Behavior