Birdie is retrieving objects! Finally!!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » April 26th, 2006, 12:32 am

I am SOOOO excited that she is finally retrieving and OUTING without a struggle that I could dance!!

It's been a long road. Birdie didn't have a very high ball drive when we got her. She wouldn't retrieve a ball for me. She was quite content to chase Petey who was retrieving with a toy in her mouth.

I tried and tried, but she wasn't interested. Then the Gremlin got her interested in chasing cars down the hallway over the winter, but Birdie would steal them and try to chew on them. So instead of punishing her, I would call her to me and trade the car or toy for a treat.

This was infuriating Mark because it's been a game almost. Birdie steals a toy and if she brings it to me when I call her, I trade her for a treat. She won't drop it on command, she bolts under the bed.

So yesturday, I almost fell over when she was playing ball with the Gremlin. She chased the ball, picked it up and dropped it for Gremlin to throw again! I called her to me, told her OUT and traded the ball for a treat. Repeated this until I had to leave for work and did it again when I got home.

Tonight, the Gremlin left her tea party on the floor in the living room. So Birdie picked up a piece and went to chew on it. I called her to me and traded the treat for the toy. Then told her "Get it" and pointed at the toys. She started retrieving the toys one by one and bringing them to me.

I purposely dropped some of the toys when she handed them to me and told her to "get it" and she did!!

Something clicked in her doggie brain and I couldn't be happier.

All the toys Birdie fetched.

Dog spit with treat particles and my hair as proof. (Why does she always end up with my hair in her mouth?)

I am just so so happy with her right now! I gave her an entire cracker barrel chedder stick as a super good dog treat and she's doing her doggie purr noise on the couch. :)
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Marinepits » April 26th, 2006, 7:11 am

Excellent! Go, Birdie!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 26th, 2006, 7:17 am

Sounds like she is coming along! That is great!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 7:42 am

This is great to hear. Encourraging!! I would love for Rocky to play ball without stealing and chewing it up. If I throw it he will run to fetch it, but take off and chew it up. If I have treats in my hand he will get it bring it and drop it. But I never thought he will ever do it for the hell of it. I guess I too will try treat exchange for stolen goods. Do you walk around with treats in your pockets?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 26th, 2006, 8:00 am

Congrats! The break throughs are always rewarding! :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 26th, 2006, 8:04 am

THat is Excellent news!!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Hoyden » April 26th, 2006, 8:06 am

houlabulla? wrote:This is great to hear. Encourraging!! I would love for Rocky to play ball without stealing and chewing it up. If I throw it he will run to fetch it, but take off and chew it up. If I have treats in my hand he will get it bring it and drop it. But I never thought he will ever do it for the hell of it. I guess I too will try treat exchange for stolen goods. Do you walk around with treats in your pockets?

Yup! :D

And I have little cookie jars around the house too. One at the computer, one in my bedroom, one in my craft room, one on an end table.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Jenn » April 26th, 2006, 8:06 am

Congrats, go Birdie!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby Asta » April 26th, 2006, 9:19 am

Awesome news! The Gremlin and you will have a ball with this new progress, no pun intended :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Return to Training & Behavior