Need some ideas...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 3:58 pm

on how to fatten him up, and what flea preventative to use, since he's on antibiotics for demodex mange and parvo?

I have the others on Program (oral flea meds), but I'm not sure I want to irritate his stomach w/any more oral crap right now OR put something topical on his skin. :| :?

Can anyone recommend a good shampoo as well?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » July 7th, 2009, 4:04 pm

a good shampoo for the demodex is sulf oxy dex we got it from the vet when we got lulu from the shelter she only had a few bare spots on her, we put her on cali natural and it went away quickly! hes soooo cute!!!!!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Yeah, I would like to try a more natural/holistic approach first to see if that might make a difference...?? :?

I have zero experience w/mange.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2009, 4:46 pm

A few people have treated mange with only nutritional changes. There are posts around here somewhere about it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I read Cheekys sticky... I already feed Raw (going back to it after the parvo clears up). I don't do Ivermectin, at all.

But the additional vitamins/supplements are a good idea... I haven't tried those yet. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Honestly, he doesn't look all that skinny... :| But then again, I like my dogs LEAN. ;)

But to fatten a dog up, I like to use Satin Balls...
He looks so sad in that pic...poor boy!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2009, 5:15 pm

try "Satin Balls" or "Hair on a Doorknob" to get him extra fat and calories.

Honestly, he doesn't look all that skinny... But then again, I like my dogs LEAN

Normally, you and I are on 100% the same page on this topic, but I don't think puppies should be lean. they should be fat and sassy. (not too fat though)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 5:31 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Honestly, he doesn't look all that skinny... :| But then again, I like my dogs LEAN. ;)

But to fatten a dog up, I like to use Satin Balls...
He looks so sad in that pic...poor boy!

Yeah, he's skinny... I can definitely feel/see his ribs and hip bones. That's what he looked like on Friday after I picked him up from the vet. :(
He's only about three months old, at best calculations, so he should be a little fatter, I think.

And won't the satin balls aggravate his skin condition though... w/the grains from the cereal?
Sorry to sound like a boob... our vet wants me to use "vet kibble" and medicated shampoo plus Ivermectin, but I don't wanna go there if I don't have to.

Michelle... he has PLENTY of sass. :lol3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » July 7th, 2009, 6:12 pm

The satin balls might be a little rough on his intestinal system unless it's really bounced back fast from the Parvo. If you want to use them I would suggest going very slowly with it for the first few days and only giving a very small amount.
If he just has localized demodex I wouldn't worry too much about it. If his immune system gets back on track his body will take care of itself. Did your vet say whether it was localized or generalized? He doesn't look like he has too many spots yet (at least from the photo).
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby LMM » July 7th, 2009, 6:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:try "Satin Balls" or "Hair on a Doorknob" to get him extra fat and calories.

Honestly, he doesn't look all that skinny... But then again, I like my dogs LEAN

Normally, you and I are on 100% the same page on this topic, but I don't think puppies should be lean. they should be fat and sassy. (not too fat though)

+1 this entire post

I'll hit you up later about what we talked about for the mange :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2009, 6:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:try "Satin Balls" or "Hair on a Doorknob" to get him extra fat and calories.

Okay, I should say...he doesn't look so skinny that he needs more than just good nutrition for fattening him up. Once he gets back on regular food (whatever that is...raw, good kibble, etc) he should plump right up again. I'm constantly battling fat puppy owners...;) He's lost weight because of his illness...but since he's better, he shouldn't have issues getting plump again.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby LMM » July 7th, 2009, 6:19 pm

pocketpit wrote:The satin balls might be a little rough on his intestinal system unless it's really bounced back fast from the Parvo. If you want to use them I would suggest going very slowly with it for the first few days and only giving a very small amount.
If he just has localized demodex I wouldn't worry too much about it. If his immune system gets back on track his body will take care of itself. Did your vet say whether it was localized or generalized? He doesn't look like he has too many spots yet (at least from the photo).

Good question. Junie had localized demodex and I just let raw handle it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Our vet said it was "localized"... mostly on top of his head and on his butt/tail. He also has a secondary skin infection, and there are lots of little scabs all over the place.
She (the vet) says that he has a very poor/compromised immune system, and that this is heredetary... hence, no breeding him in the future. :rolleyes2: lol

I think I'll skip the satin balls for now, and just start mixing in a little bit of RAW into his rice/chicken stuff gradually until his stomach can handle it again.

Thanks, everyone. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2009, 3:36 am

If he just has patches of Demodex then likely its just "puppy mange" and will go away on it's own.

I'd be hesitant to change anything with him for a while. Parvo can impact them for months after the initially sickness.

what a little fighter! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Malli wrote:I'd be hesitant to change anything with him for a while. Parvo can impact them for months after the initially sickness.

Hmmm... I didn't know that.
I'm feeding him several small meals a day right now... rice/chicken or rice/turkey, w/a spoonful of "raw slurry/supplements" on top, to get him to eat. So far, so good. No vomiting and solid poop. :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 9th, 2009, 3:06 am

"initially sickness" :rolleyes2: me spell good.

um yeah, its a big hit to the immune system. Takes a while for it to recover and I'd think same for the GI tract.

good to hear :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby juniper8204 » July 9th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Oona had parvo shortly after I got her...not a serious case, but after she came home, she was very puny and got a couple of patches of mange on her head. My vet was completely understanding when I told her that I wanted to go as holistic as possible for the mange and the parvo. She did some reading on echinacea after I'd told her about it and decided to give it a try. She supplemented the echinacea with fluids and a lower dose of antibiotics and Oona was WAY better by the next morning.

Anywho...she suggested tea tree oil for the mangy spots. She said two to three drops on each spot should do it, and it did! Within a few days it was looking better and within a week, hair was growing back...she hasn't had mange since. It is toxic in high levels, so you have to be careful with it. I've heard of some people mixing it in a spray bottle with water and using it as a fly/flea/tick repellant and I've also seen some people mix it in shampoo to use it as a non-chemical dip for mange. Ask your vet...maybe I'm a google-tard because I couldn't find any decent articles about tea tree oil being used on demodex.

I also changed her food from Blue Buffalo to Innova Evo, which all my dogs are on now, and I'm never turning back. Haven't had the slightest problem with health in any of my dogs. Innova seemed to fatten Oona back up really quickly, but it's high in protein...some people are wary of a food that high in protein especially in pups who are still growing, but Oona did fine and Raja (5 months old) is doing great on it. Not sure what you're feeding right now. I made a mash for Oona in small amounts until her tummy was ready for it straight from the bag.

Oh, and btw...I want to squish that little man! How stinkin' adorable!!!!
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » July 9th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I was intrigued by your idea of tea tree oil for demodex...so I looked it up...here are some links I found:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g ... 0122/pg_2/

Neem oil for mange too:
http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/ ... edies.html

http://petsbestrx.com/mange-news/news/t ... -for-cats/

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Ooohhh, thanks, you guys... I'm going to order some of that stuff tomorrow!!! :D :clap:

Jen... Faust is on boiled rice/chicken (turkey) plus a few spoonfulls of raw right now. As soon as his stomach can handle it we're going back to raw full-time.
I think he already gained some weight back... I picked him up today, and he definitely felt pretty hefty. :rolleyes2: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 10th, 2009, 7:14 am

Be cautious with the tea tree oil, Christine - if I remember correctly, I believe it's toxic to kitties.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health