My dog has MRSA

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby plebayo » July 6th, 2009, 9:54 pm

In dog terms she has Methicillin Resistant Coagulase positive Staph.

My dog Sofie has MRSA. She is going to begin treatment with Amikacin tomorrow provided her kidney values are normal. She has to have an amikacin injection every day for 14 days, fluids every day for 14 days. We're doing another culture in 10 days. She has to have a UA/kidney value check twice a week to make sure she's doing okay.

Sofie is 12 going on 13, I have had her since she was 6mos old. She is nuts having wicked seperation anxiety but she's been an awesome dog. She taught me a lot and she's just been a great companion. She has been staying mostly with my parents but they neglected to tell me she's been sneezing for months and months and just how bad it has been. I started hanging around home more and noticed it so we did a nasal flush and cleaned her teeth. Gave her a round of Zeniquin [antibiotic] and nothing happened. Did another flush and sent in the culture. I am so glad it isn't a tumor but I hope the treatment doesn't mess her up.

Mostly I hope for some good board vibes! The amikacin can be hard on the kidneys, cause vestibular issues, and can cause hearing loss among other things. My family and I are going to get our throats cultured to make sure we aren't carrying it or have it. Hopefully we'll be okay too!

This is an older picture but I like it, even with the demon eyes!

Her eyes always glow :p

Sofie and Napolean when I first got him.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » July 6th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Tons of good thoughts on the way for Sofie :)
:goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » July 6th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Holy crap! That's some serious stuff. :shock:

Wow, tons of good thoughts for you and Miss Sophie! Please keep us updated!

My husband ended up with a VERY nasty staph infection several years ago. He was making an arrest in a bad area of NYC and whacked his elbow on a wall that was literally crawling with cockroaches. About 36 hours later, his veins in that forearm were black and the black was making it's way up his whole arm. Mr Tough Guy was like "Ah, it's nothing!" I made him go to the doctor and the doc ended up draining a ton of pus out of his elbow. The doc said that if he had waited any longer to get his arm worked on, he would have ended up in the hospital on an IV. As it was, he was on mega antibiotics for about a month.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » July 6th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Lots of good thoughts for Sophie. Paws and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

She is such a cutie.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » July 6th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Poor puppy! Such a cutie!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby plebayo » July 6th, 2009, 10:32 pm

My husband ended up with a VERY nasty staph infection several years ago. He was making an arrest in a bad area of NYC and whacked his elbow on a wall that was literally crawling with cockroaches. About 36 hours later, his veins in that forearm were black and the black was making it's way up his whole arm. Mr Tough Guy was like "Ah, it's nothing!" I made him go to the doctor and the doc ended up draining a ton of pus out of his elbow. The doc said that if he had waited any longer to get his arm worked on, he would have ended up in the hospital on an IV. As it was, he was on mega antibiotics for about a month.

OMG black veins! If that happenes to me I'd totally be freaking out!

That's the thing my assumption is that she maybe didn't have MRSA to begin with.. maybe just regular staph. I'm not sure how this whole thing works in terms of how she got it, just that she's been sneezing for several months now. I really just hope she makes it through okay. Even though she's an old lady she's aged really well. He hearing and sight are definitley less than what they used to be but physically her body has been maintaining really well especially since she has such a long back. I'm just not ready for her to go... I need someone to keep my other dogs in line :p
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby madremissy » July 6th, 2009, 11:20 pm

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:

For Sophie
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » July 6th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Awww I'm sorry ~ plenty of good thoughts from here as well.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 2:00 am

TONS of good thoughts from us, too... and definitely get tested.
Here's an interesting article I found - http://www.fountia.com/transmission-mrsa-dogs
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 7th, 2009, 3:34 am

crazy!

good thoughts for getting better!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 7th, 2009, 7:37 am

Wow! How crazy! Tons of good thoughts coming Miss Sophie's way!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 9:11 am

Sofie is ADORABLE! I'm sending lots of good thoughts from here!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » July 7th, 2009, 9:35 am

Lots of good thoughts for Sofie (love her name!).

She is adorable!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby plebayo » July 7th, 2009, 10:05 am

TONS of good thoughts from us, too... and definitely get tested.
Here's an interesting article I found - http://www.fountia.com/transmission-mrsa-dogs

Thanks for the article! Thanks so much for the vibes, I just feel so bad for her. On the up side I am glad this is treatable and isn't a tumor, which is what the doctor and I both thought she might have up there.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby TinaMartin » July 7th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Good thoughts from me as well.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Has she started treatment yet? How's she handling it? :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » July 8th, 2009, 10:10 am

Well, we did our first injection last night. I muzzled her because she is a big time weenie, when I went to poke her she flinched, when I gave her the injection you could tell it stung but she didn't make a move or a peep. We did add .5cc of lidocaine in the mix, although we're not sure if it's because the antibiotic stings for a long period of time or what because lidocaine stings too initially! She jumped less for the fluid needle which is an 18gauge needle and handled the fluids fine. She felt a bit dry to me so I gave her 150cc to start, then we'll do 100cc a day. Overall she did great. I'm taking her camping to the beach this weekend because I don't think my parents will be able to treat her. I figure if for whatever reason she goes down hill after this, at least she got to go camping.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby blabsforbullies » July 9th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Sending :goodthoughts: for all of you!!!!
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby plebayo » July 28th, 2009, 9:52 pm

So the MRSA is gone! She has some other junk growing in there but it's treatable with almost anything so we're putting her on a course of clavimox.

In other news I sent in a culture on Seth because he was sneezing and he has ecoli in his nose! I'm not going to treat it at this point, he has no symptoms and he can get it from licking his butt, so overall I'm excited no one needs any hardcore treatment!

Next I need to test myself... and my other dog. When I get the $$ I will.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby katiek0417 » July 28th, 2009, 10:05 pm

plebayo wrote:So the MRSA is gone! She has some other junk growing in there but it's treatable with almost anything so we're putting her on a course of clavimox.

In other news I sent in a culture on Seth because he was sneezing and he has ecoli in his nose! I'm not going to treat it at this point, he has no symptoms and he can get it from licking his butt, so overall I'm excited no one needs any hardcore treatment!

Next I need to test myself... and my other dog. When I get the $$ I will.

WHOOHOO! I am so happy for you! I'm awaiting culture results as we speak!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next