Dog Whisperer looking for wolf hybrids...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 5th, 2009, 11:14 pm

"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hundilein » July 5th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Nicole Wilde's commentary on this (she's done a lot of work with wolves and wolf hybrids):
http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/wolfd ... whispering
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » July 6th, 2009, 3:14 am

um, yeah.

I don't think there should be any question in anyone who's does training's mind, that wolves and wolf dogs are WHOLE different can of fish.

the lady that lives with wolves even puts "pet" in quotations. Its just not the same thing.

This has dramatically lowered my opinion of Cesar Milan.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » July 6th, 2009, 8:13 am

This is aweome.

First, he wouldn't be doing this unless he felt the need to get more exposure, which can only mean that he sees his popularity starting to wane. A good thing.

Second, if (and this is a BIG if) he actually gets hooked up with a REAL wolf hybrid, his techniques are going to backfire and we won't be hearing much from him. He'll be discredited when he suffers a severe mauling.

Unfortunately, he'll probably pick a VERY watered down example that poses little risk of acting like a real hybrid.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TinaMartin » July 6th, 2009, 9:22 am

Umm yeah he may solve all of our problems with his methods with this one. Can anyone say chew toy.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby call2arms » July 6th, 2009, 10:48 am

Err, "easily manageable"... I always like to see the owners just strangle their dog till it lacks oxygen and abandons - training at it's finest. The dog in this video is "just a dog" and it ripped Cesar's shirt off, he'll be missing limbs with wolf hybrids, and his head with wolves.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » July 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

So, for all of his BS about being a "firm leader" his solution to that dog's problem is repeated hanging? lol

He's very lucky he moved fast enough that the dog only got his sleeve, because it meant to get a lot more than just that. A real wolf hybrid is going to eat him for lunch - though I have serious doubts that they will show the first few encounters.

From what I have read about wolves and wolf dogs, they "hold grudges" and will wait for an opportunity to present itself. He's gonna get chewed up... badly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » July 6th, 2009, 12:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:they "hold grudges" and will wait for an opportunity to present itself. He's gonna get chewed up... badly.
Fact :D
He sure doesn't want to turn his back. :o
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 6th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Is it wrong that I cheered each time that dog nailed him?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » July 6th, 2009, 12:35 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Is it wrong that I cheered each time that dog nailed him?

:clap: :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » July 6th, 2009, 1:30 pm

mnp13 wrote:From what I have read about wolves and wolf dogs, they "hold grudges" and will wait for an opportunity to present itself. He's gonna get chewed up... badly.

Yes they do. I was the only one who could get near my friends with nail clippers. Her nails were super hard and my friend didnt want to sedate her every time she needed them clipped. Sacha would sit there barely contained but would sit. If anyone else picked up a pair of clippers while near her all bets were off.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 6th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Ooooohhh, I want a wolf!!! :shock: I know a grandmother who needs to be eaten. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » July 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm

" We had to wait and stay there until the switch flips and he stops wanting to attack and becomes submissive"

Uh no dumb ass, the dog was almost choked to death and was laying there trying to survive. Wow. Not ever been a Ceasar fan but this takes the cake. I understand why you did it but why don't you just tell people the truth.

I hope he does come face to face with a true hybrid but of course we all know that won't happen. He doesn't work with truly difficult cases.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Leslie H » July 6th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Vickie Hearne was a trainer who wrote Bandit, Dossier of a Dangerous Dog, about an American Bulldog who was taken from his owner after a bite. She trains him, he's a sound, untrained dog. He gets a perfect score on the ATTS TT. She has a good chapter in her book about working w/a wolf hybrid, and how different from a dog it was. Very, very sensitive to body language, submissive, but always looking for a message that it could turn the tables.

The book is a worthwhile read, though heavy on philosophy if I recall correctly. Not training philosophy, life, she was a Yale professor I believe. She did a good pro-bully article for Smithsonian magazine as well.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Hoyden » July 6th, 2009, 9:41 pm

amazincc wrote:Ooooohhh, I want a wolf!!! :shock: I know a grandmother who needs to be eaten. :D

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

I have TWO I can volunteer as Wolfie dinner. The big bad wolf can start with my biological mother.

Vickie Hearne was a trainer who wrote Bandit, Dossier of a Dangerous Dog, about an American Bulldog who was taken from his owner after a bite. She trains him, he's a sound, untrained dog. He gets a perfect score on the ATTS TT. She has a good chapter in her book about working w/a wolf hybrid, and how different from a dog it was. Very, very sensitive to body language, submissive, but always looking for a message that it could turn the tables.

The book is a worthwhile read, though heavy on philosophy if I recall correctly. Not training philosophy, life, she was a Yale professor I believe. She did a good pro-bully article for Smithsonian magazine as well.

I have this book. A good read that I need to read again.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby furever_pit » July 30th, 2009, 10:13 am

My Dad and I own a GSD/Wolf hybrid and way back when I thought Cesar was the shiznit, I attempted to roll Chief. BAD IDEA!! Now, if Cesar wants to come try, have at it. I can pretty much guarantee Chief would eat him.

Chief is not even a foundation hybrid, so he is one of those "watered down" types. Regardless, he is a very difficult animal to own. He is VERY destructive and cannot be left home alone (luckily our home is a farm so someone is always there). We have found that force and correction most definitely does not work with Chief because he will turn on you - quick. Rather, we have to be uber-patient and show him *calmly* what we want him to do. IMO it is lucky that he is SO bonded to my father otherwise I think the training he has now would pretty much be non-existant. Now, he is not a bad dog but he's certainly not going to be winning any obedience titles. lol

Regardless, I will never own another wolf hybrid because *for me* they are too much of a liability.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » July 30th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Well...

At least Shadow didn't have to take a dirt nap. He should have had his oxygen taken away a long time ago. Those people have no business owning a dog like that better they use Cesar than simply kill the dog. Better they attempt correcting/adjusting the behavior than letting it escalate. Odds are they have used other trainers with no success either on their part, or the trainers part.

I do agree that he should be honest about the methods he's using but I also think being on television they have to sugar coat everything. I was/am actually surprised they showed the clip on TV because it's very controversial and intense.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Return to Training & Behavior