A brush with obstruction

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyLady » July 4th, 2009, 8:49 am

Sooo.... I got home last night and Shelby had had some diarrhea in her kennel. Just a little bit, but it was very very dark and completely liquid, kind of odd. I took her outside and she had more which was again totally liquid. She hadn't acted sick or gotten into anything that I knew of, so I was a little confused. It was really hot yesterday, first day over 90, so I gave her some water and a couple of slippery elm to settle her belly. She came back in the house and laid on our hardwoods and about five minutes later proceeded to vomit all the water back up. No big deal, she drank too fast, except that I noticed when I was cleaning up that the vomit smelled like poo.... Uh-oh.

I took her out back, she had more diarrhea, I got really concerned about her getting dehydrated because obviously she wasn't going to be able to drink water. Our backyard is in full sun in the evening and our front yard is in full shade, so I took her out front where she proceeded to vomit more poop smelling vile and be a water monster. She was even trying to lick water off of grass!! I got really concerned at this point because it just isn't normal for the vomit to have bits of fecal material in it. Just then my husband was getting home and I was kind of panicking, so I told him we needed to go to the e-vet. While he was getting changed and I was talking to him through the front door Shelby vomited again. I went over to look at it and it was actual poop, like formed fecal material. Run for the vet!!!

We spent two hours at the e-vet (and $300! :shock: ) to get a couple of x-rays. Her stomach was very angry and had a little something in it, something she hadn't vomited yet, but the gas patterns didn't indicate that there were currently any obstructions. So she got an anti vomiting medication injected and we were told to do 1/2 cup water every 2 hours overnight, and if at any point she resumed vomiting come back in for surgery.

Got home, settled her into the living room on her bed and hubby went to clean out her crate and the front yard. He tried to wash away the vomited poo (it was very soft and liquidy) and when he sprayed it with the hose it just kind of washed away. When the poo washed away a little fuzzy green toy was left....... :o This is not a toy we have ever seen, best guess is that one of the nieghbor kids (we have kids on both sides) lost a toy over the fence and she decided to eat it all up. So there was an obstruction but luckily her stomach 'o steel was able to get it back up out the intestines and out the mouth.

So far no more vomiting and we will start meat baby food and rice in a few hours. I have to go to work so my husband will tend to her all day. If you can send good thoughts to him and Shelby that she keeps food down, we don't want to have to go back for exploratory surgery!!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby LMM » July 4th, 2009, 8:55 am

Good healing vibes coming your way!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » July 4th, 2009, 8:59 am

Sounds like the issue is solved :)

BUT... Sending :goodthoughts: to Shelby for a quick recovery
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 4th, 2009, 9:45 am

Lots of good thoughts!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » July 4th, 2009, 10:04 am

How Scary! Sending good thoughts to Shelby.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ArtGypsy » July 4th, 2009, 11:00 am

:sad2: :shock: :shock:
How SCARY!

I'm so glad she's better, but WOW.. all that cause of a little green fuzzy toy. I think of dogs chomping up bones and such, and look at what a little toy can do. :nono:

We used to have this great Rottie named Thunder.....**huge, Mastiff sized dog**, who would barf and heave and barf and heave and bring up a BUCKET'S worth of soggy dog food and gastric juice; all because of a entsy beetzy sliver of GRASS.

ugh.

Healing thoughts your way!

-------Jody, who has said good bye to Nephew from Mo, and is doing a mountain of laundry. now we only have FIVE in 1300 sq foot, 2 1/2 bedroom house!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby hugapitbull » July 4th, 2009, 11:04 am

Sending 'speedy recovery' thoughts to Shelby, and calming thoughts to mom.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » July 4th, 2009, 11:53 am

Whoa, sorry to hear that, Cathleen! :shock:

Best of luck and wishes to you all!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » July 4th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Continue to feel better Shelby :goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » July 4th, 2009, 12:41 pm

LOTS of butt scratches and good thoughts coming Shelbys way... :shock: :o

Now you need to have a chat w/the neighbors. :mad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » July 4th, 2009, 9:55 pm

amazincc wrote:Now you need to have a chat w/the neighbors. :mad2:

No kidding! :mad2:

Thanks for all the healing thoughts guys, they seem to be working. She has been eating baby food and rice all day, so far no problem. :cheer:
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » July 5th, 2009, 4:21 pm

How's Shelby today???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » July 6th, 2009, 12:06 am

So far she's doing great!! I think we are out of the woods now, she just had her first bite of kibble (about 1/4 of what she normally gets) and no vomiting yet. Yay! Lol... what a strange sentence :giggle:
I am going to break her meals up into two a day for the next few days, but other than that I think we are all clear. Thank you for asking Christine :hug3:

Thanks for the healing thoughts everyone!
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby TinaMartin » July 6th, 2009, 8:54 am

Is she still doing good?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby blabsforbullies » July 6th, 2009, 9:31 am

Whew! :shocker: Dodged the bullet! :beerChug: SO HAPPY and hope she's continuing to improve! :helloClap:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby HappyPuppy » July 13th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Hey - sorry I'm so late reading this. Just wanted to say I'm so happy for you that everything 'came out' OK !!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » July 13th, 2009, 12:28 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:'came out'
LMAO
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BullyLady » July 13th, 2009, 11:06 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Hey - sorry I'm so late reading this. Just wanted to say I'm so happy for you that everything 'came out' OK !!!

:giggle: Yea... my silly puppy just wasn't getting enough attention apparently. :rolleyes2: lol
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 14th, 2009, 9:23 pm

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner! That is great news that she is on the mend!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby kera09 » July 14th, 2009, 10:26 pm

glad everything is ok!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health