Please, good thoughts and prayers...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » July 2nd, 2009, 9:54 pm

Good thoughts for Dru, you and the puppies!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » July 2nd, 2009, 10:18 pm

:goodthoughts: I hope everyone is ok, what a horrible accident. :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Leslie H » July 2nd, 2009, 10:18 pm

Thinking speedy recovery for Dru. And healthy remainder of her pregnancy and whelping for her and her pups.
Any chance she'll be able to nurse?
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby katiek0417 » July 2nd, 2009, 10:33 pm

Leslie H wrote:Thinking speedy recovery for Dru. And healthy remainder of her pregnancy and whelping for her and her pups.
Any chance she'll be able to nurse?

The vet thinks she'll be just fine to whelp...he's really not sure of nursing, though. The best case scenario is that she'll be fine. She did lose 2 mammary glands...but he said the others are intact...worst case: I'm handraising 9 puppies!

And, while handraising isn't an issue...my fear is that i'll end up with 9 Rockys
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » July 3rd, 2009, 3:21 am

good thoughts!

Honestly I almost think you don't count; you don't breed without homes or without thought.

I believe she has had a litter before? I think her experience will benefit her here. I know bitches get c-sections all the time and go on to nurse, so I bet she can do it. Cross our paws!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 3rd, 2009, 5:31 am

Good thoughts for EVERYONE involved (which includes you!)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » July 3rd, 2009, 8:43 am

Malli wrote:good thoughts!

Honestly I almost think you don't count; you don't breed without homes or without thought.

I believe she has had a litter before? I think her experience will benefit her here. I know bitches get c-sections all the time and go on to nurse, so I bet she can do it. Cross our paws!

Yes, this will be her second litter. She had puppies last year...and she was an EXCELLENT mommy. I definitely don't want to take the puppies away from her. She trusts us too much...the last thing I want to do is break that trust. I'm trying to stay positive...if I can keep her lactating and helping with the puppies for that first week, I think she'll be able to take over once we get the sutures removed...

Like I said, I'm trying to stay positive....she'll obviously be coming home with an E-Collar (not the training type), but I'm going to go this morning and get her a bite-not collar (the one that looks like a turtleneck):

http://www.bitenot.com/dog.html

That should make it hard for her to mess with her sutures, but still able to clean the puppies...

I don't know...I guess I just want her home...I'm going to call the vet's office in a little while to check on her...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby HappyPuppy » July 3rd, 2009, 4:58 pm

Gosh - what a scenario! Best wishes for everything to go as smoothly as possible!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 3rd, 2009, 5:44 pm

Still sending tons of good thoughts... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 3rd, 2009, 7:39 pm

Well, just to update...I got Dru home, and she's in bad shape. She was happy to see us...but you can tell she's really in a lot of pain. She's just kinda sitting in her crate all oddly...she's in a humongous 700 size crate (the thing could fit me in there to sleep)...

I just don't know what to do...she can't have another pain pill until midnight...I feel so bad...and she's so swollen...

She looks so sad...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

Ugh. :sad2:

Can you put one of those "body pillows" in there (if you have one)? That might help make her a little more comfortable and take some of the pressure of her stomach... maybe??? :|

Poor baby... give her some scritches from me.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 3rd, 2009, 7:49 pm

amazincc wrote:Ugh. :sad2:

Can you put one of those "body pillows" in there (if you have one)? That might help make her a little more comfortable and take some of the pressure of her stomach... maybe??? :|

Poor baby... give her some scritches from me.

I don't have one...I put some towels in there...I might be able to put one of Cy's beds in there...well, I'll have to go buy one...b/c his bed won't fit in there...she's like drooping down b/c she's high on pain meds...but she won't lay down...

I'm hesitant to put much in there b/c I'll be honest - she may have these puppies sooner rather than later...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » July 3rd, 2009, 7:53 pm

Oh Katrina, my heart is breaking for her and you :sad2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby call2arms » July 3rd, 2009, 8:09 pm

Awwe... I hope she'll be ok to deliver. It's true, we see moms with fresh c-sections nurse often, so she might be ok? If the pups tend to paw the area maybe you can put an opsite bandage on the wound for a few days?

Sucks to be in pain like that, what is she getting being pregnant and all?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » July 3rd, 2009, 8:13 pm

call2arms wrote:Awwe... I hope she'll be ok to deliver. It's true, we see moms with fresh c-sections nurse often, so she might be ok? If the pups tend to paw the area maybe you can put an opsite bandage on the wound for a few days?

Sucks to be in pain like that, what is she getting being pregnant and all?

She's on amoxicillin...and they gave her torbugesic injection earlier...and I've got Torbutrol tabs here..

We are supposed to see the vet again on Tuesday for him to check the wound and take the drains out...

I went out today and I bought all the supplies I'll need to help her take care of puppies (i.e., formula, bottles, bottle warmer, etc)...

I think part of the problem is that this isn't a clean cut...it's very jagged...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » July 3rd, 2009, 8:51 pm

Still sending many healing thoughts for Dru. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby call2arms » July 3rd, 2009, 9:23 pm

Mm, jagged. Is it going closely across some of her nipples? And I guess Torbugesic is the "strongest" painkiller she can get right now, poor girl...
I'd definitely try to cover the stitches up when she's nursing, I can just picture those little puppy claws getting caught in there.

I really hope for you, her and the puppies that everything will be fine and that she'll be ok to nurse.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » July 3rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

call2arms wrote:Mm, jagged. Is it going closely across some of her nipples? And I guess Torbugesic is the "strongest" painkiller she can get right now, poor girl...
I'd definitely try to cover the stitches up when she's nursing, I can just picture those little puppy claws getting caught in there.

I really hope for you, her and the puppies that everything will be fine and that she'll be ok to nurse.

It's going over one of her nipples...She had to have a mastectomy on that one. I'm going to try to get a picture at some point for all of you...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » July 3rd, 2009, 9:46 pm

Aagh poor poor Dru, I wish I could make her feel better.

How deep was the cut? I'm sorry to ask so many questions!! If you're fed up don't answer, I understand that you might not want to think about it constantly... :)

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Leslie H » July 3rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

Do you think she'd like a heating pad?
They get so huge when they're due to whelp, there must be a ton of pressure and tension on those stitches. Poor Dru. I think she should be an honorary pit bull now, with that kind of injury.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health