Flying with Your Dog

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby furever_pit » June 21st, 2009, 8:23 pm

Mods, I wasn't sure if I should put this is the health section so please move it if it is the wrong place.

I am picking up a pup from NH in a few weeks and have a reservation for him to fly in the cabin with me on the way back home. Having never flown with dogs before I'm not really sure what to expect. I have been thinking about maybe giving the little guy a small bit of Benadryl prior to the flight just to take the edge off. It's not that I am worried about this pup's nerves or that he will be scared, but I don't want him to be vocal and disturb the other passengers on the plane.

Any thoughts? What have y'all done with pups on the plane before?

Thanks.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2009, 9:25 pm

It's actually recommended that you don't give your dog anything to "sedate" them before flying. They have a hard enough time righting themselves when flying...sedating them could lead to a disaster.

When I've flown dogs in the cabin, I just tell them to lay at my feet. Will your dog be in a crate or outside of one?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby furever_pit » June 21st, 2009, 9:44 pm

He's going to be in a crate. He'll only be 8 weeks old so I can't exactly expect him to down and be quiet like I can my other dog.

I didn't know that a sedative could be bad news on a flight. The vet I work for has prescribed sedatives for people's pets when they are traveling so I just assumed it was okay.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2009, 10:03 pm

I've flown with dogs, and I've shipped many dogs, and airlines say sedatives are BIG no-no...and most airlines will ask you if you gave your dog anything, and if you do, they won't let the dog fly...

I would get the puppy a yummy kong to keep him occupied!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby furever_pit » June 21st, 2009, 10:18 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I've flown with dogs, and I've shipped many dogs, and airlines say sedatives are BIG no-no...and most airlines will ask you if you gave your dog anything, and if you do, they won't let the dog fly...

Excellent! Such an easy solution, I oughta have thought of that.
Thanks.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm

furever_pit wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:I've flown with dogs, and I've shipped many dogs, and airlines say sedatives are BIG no-no...and most airlines will ask you if you gave your dog anything, and if you do, they won't let the dog fly...

Excellent! Such an easy solution, I oughta have thought of that.
Thanks.

Sometimes it takes an extra person! Glad I could help!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 22nd, 2009, 1:48 pm

Touche' and Bodacious both fly in the cabin with me because I refused to stick them in as cargo LOL
It was an expensive flight as I also had to fly another person with me because it is only one pup per person.

A total of 8+ hrs not including the check ins and layover time between flights and then also the driving time. I wouldn't want to pup too eat too much they aren't used to or they can get air sick.
Neither of my girls made a peep while on the flight.
I was lucky...

make sure you have the right size crate to fit under the seat. Remind the person giving you the seating assignment that you have the pup and need a seat with space under it. It the crate doesn't fit, they will not let you fly. Different sized planes and different airlines have different requirements so check and double check.
Make sure you have the vet health certificate and something to put water in for the pup or they will not let you fly. The breeder should have it all ready for you.

Best of luck

Keep us posted
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby furever_pit » June 29th, 2009, 9:39 pm

What can I use to put water in with a soft crate? I'm thinking maybe I will freeze the water too. I know Dylan likes it that way. lol

I am bringing a hard crate with me but it will have to checked because it is too tall to fit under the seat. The airline I am flying with has an 8" limit on height. :shock: I am having a really hard time finding a crate that size so I am thinking that I use a slightly taller soft crate that I can then push under the seat. I was told by the airline that this was acceptable.

And really, worse come to worse they make me buy one of their airline crates on the way back. :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the help y'all.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » June 30th, 2009, 9:02 am

furever_pit wrote:What can I use to put water in with a soft crate? I'm thinking maybe I will freeze the water too. I know Dylan likes it that way. lol

I am bringing a hard crate with me but it will have to checked because it is too tall to fit under the seat. The airline I am flying with has an 8" limit on height. :shock: I am having a really hard time finding a crate that size so I am thinking that I use a slightly taller soft crate that I can then push under the seat. I was told by the airline that this was acceptable.

And really, worse come to worse they make me buy one of their airline crates on the way back. :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the help y'all.

There needs to be a bowl in the crate, there does not need to be water in it.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Leslie H » July 1st, 2009, 9:55 am

Are you sure the pup will fit in an under seat crate? I've never flown a dog in the cabin, only as cargo, but they were pretty strict as to crate size, the dog needed to be able to stand up comfortably.
PS, I'm betting you're getting a Texas x Jada pup, and I would suspect they will be pretty good sized.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby furever_pit » July 1st, 2009, 12:06 pm

Leslie H wrote:Are you sure the pup will fit in an under seat crate? I've never flown a dog in the cabin, only as cargo, but they were pretty strict as to crate size, the dog needed to be able to stand up comfortably.
PS, I'm betting you're getting a Texas x Jada pup, and I would suspect they will be pretty good sized.

Yes, he is out of the Texas X Jada litter. I'm fairly certain he will be able to stand up and move around in a soft crate. I mean the flight is only three hours. I would rather not put him in cargo due to the temps down here in FL plus it's actually cheaper for me to fly up there and bring him back then have him shipped in cargo. The breeder is actually the one who suggested this to me and I believe that she knows what she is talking about. I guess we will have to see what happens.

I'll talk to Mo again and talk to her more about the flight and the under seat crate. Just to be sure.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 1st, 2009, 12:10 pm

Oh, I'm so excited for you!!! Got a name picked out yet? Pictures? Anything?

They probably wouldn't even let you ship him through cargo, because most airlines are very strict about the temps. Gah, I remember the HEAT/HUMIDITY in FL... and I don't miss it one little bit.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby furever_pit » July 1st, 2009, 12:44 pm

Thanks Christine. I'm really excited too. Seems like he just can't get here fast enough. I won't be making a final decision on what puppy I will be taking until after Keith O does the temp evaluation. Right now there is one male that I am leaning toward based on his current behavior and his good nerves. But we will see. I've kind of been planning on naming Gator, but that could totally change once I have him and get to know him. The only pictures I have are the ones that are on Mo's website. Am I allowed to post the kennel link here? Or should I just PM it?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 1st, 2009, 12:50 pm

Pm it!!! :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » July 2nd, 2009, 5:47 am

I was just sent this website. :) While I know your situation is different, I thought someone might be interested.

http://www.petairways.com/
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » July 2nd, 2009, 6:04 am

amazincc wrote:Oh, I'm so excited for you!!! Got a name picked out yet? Pictures? Anything?

They probably wouldn't even let you ship him through cargo, because most airlines are very strict about the temps. Gah, I remember the HEAT/HUMIDITY in FL... and I don't miss it one little bit.

Until September 15, the only airline that will allow you to ship cargo domestically is Continental and that is because they have temperature controlled cargo holds. Overseas is a different story :D

furever_pit wrote: until after Keith O does the temp evaluation.

Which Keith O are we talking about?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby furever_pit » July 2nd, 2009, 9:25 am

Keith O'Sullivan of SWK.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 2nd, 2009, 9:29 am

furever_pit wrote:Keith O'Sullivan of SWK.

That's who I was thinking :D We actually just trained with him a few weeks ago. I like Keith. He caught my little girl, Nisha...Ni has this issue where she needs MORE pressure in bitework (most dogs produce a more shallow grip with more pressure, Ni is the opposite)...anyway, I asked him his opinion on her, and he thought she was nice...He's nice and tall, and I wanted her to see that...I wanted to see how she would do with someone that big...she didn't care!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby furever_pit » July 2nd, 2009, 9:48 am

katiek0417 wrote:
furever_pit wrote:Keith O'Sullivan of SWK.

That's who I was thinking :D We actually just trained with him a few weeks ago. I like Keith. He caught my little girl, Nisha...Ni has this issue where she needs MORE pressure in bitework (most dogs produce a more shallow grip with more pressure, Ni is the opposite)...anyway, I asked him his opinion on her, and he thought she was nice...He's nice and tall, and I wanted her to see that...I wanted to see how she would do with someone that big...she didn't care!

It's kinda funny that you bring up Nisha needing more pressure in bitework. This is something I have been discussing with a few people for several weeks now. I feel like my dog is the same way. He's progressing in the bite work but if he switches into prey drive for too long he gets bored. Keith was actually the first person to do any bite work with my dog and he did a really nice job. He truly loves the work and the dogs and he is brutally honest about people's dogs...he certainly doesn't sell you any crap. I definitely respect his opinion and am eager to hear what he thinks of these pups.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » July 2nd, 2009, 9:57 am

furever_pit wrote: I've kind of been planning on naming Gator, but that could totally change once I have him and get to know him.

Gator is always an awesome name. Not that I'm bias or anything! :wink:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health