Need Ideas for Flooring Issues

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby Marinepits » June 28th, 2009, 8:07 pm

We keep all the dogs' crates in their "own room" in the basement. The flooring is finished concrete with giant indoor/outdoor rugs placed over it -- they are the kinds of rugs that you'd use in a screened porch area or on your deck. They are easy-to-clean, withstand the dogs' nails when they're tearing around, and dry quickly if they get wet.

The floors and rugs generally stay cool, even on the hottest days. We don't have water problems in the basement because the foundation for the house was built into the rock ledge on top of a big hill, and we have excellent drainage around the house.

With all the rain we've had lately (nearly three times the normal amount for June), the humidity in the area is also above normal. I would love to run the downstairs dehumidifier constantly, but the bloody electricity is too damn expensive, especially since we run the air conditioner upstairs to help keep the house dry and cool.

The dog crates (wire MidWest brand) are set-up on the carpeting, and the plastic trays are kept inside the crates. Each dog has a Costco Kirkland dog bed inside their crate. We are finding that the heat from the dogs' bodies on top of the dog beds reacts to the coolness of the floors under the crates/plastic pans and soaks the beds with condensation so the beds get moldy inside and out and then have to be replaced. We tried removing the plastic pans, but the same thing happens with condensation build-up.

The only thing I can think to do at this point is to raise the crates off the floor, using bricks or cinder blocks. Anyone else have any ideas? :confused:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » June 28th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Try a fan to help keep the air moving. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » June 28th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Why don't you use PetCots inside the crates? That's what we do. That way the whole crate doesn't have to be elevated.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby hugapitbull » June 28th, 2009, 9:50 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Why don't you use PetCots inside the crates? That's what we do. That way the whole crate doesn't have to be elevated.

That sounds like a great idea.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 28th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Those are expensive. Probably be cheaper to get some pallets and hike the crates up.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » June 28th, 2009, 10:06 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Why don't you use PetCots inside the crates? That's what we do. That way the whole crate doesn't have to be elevated.

I bought several of those a couple of years ago for use on the deck -- the dogs wouldn't touch them, so I donated them to the pound. Dammit! Not that I'm sorry I donated them, but I wonder if that would work in the crates. They wouldn't have a choice but to use them. Maybe I can find some cheap ones......
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » June 28th, 2009, 10:12 pm

I get them wholesale at about $40 each. They're especially good for older dogs or dogs that have arthritis.....they helped with Alfred a lot.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » June 28th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:Try a fan to help keep the air moving. :|

We have one that we use in there, but it doesn't seem to help. :neutral:

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Probably be cheaper to get some pallets and hike the crates up.

There's a lumber place in the next town that leaves "free pallets" at the end of the driveway -- I'll see if they have any tomorrow! Hopefully, they won't be soaked because it's raining yet again.

Thanks, everyone! :clap:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » June 28th, 2009, 10:14 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:I get them wholesale at about $40 each. They're especially good for older dogs or dogs that have arthritis.....they helped with Alfred a lot.

I think I got mine from PetEdge originally -- where do you get yours?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » June 28th, 2009, 10:33 pm

I get them from the PetCot company. We use them at Roscoe's so when we need to order more I usually just add a couple extra for me and pay my boss for them.

Incidentally, it took my dogs several months before they'd touch them at home but now that they use them, they love them. :|
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » June 28th, 2009, 10:41 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:I get them from the PetCot company.

Thanks! I will check out their site! :D

Incidentally, it took my dogs several months before they'd touch them at home but now that they use them, they love them. :|

I left mine on the porch for most of the spring and all of the summer. All the dogs just ignored them, except Mac who enjoyed flipping them around by shoving his massive noggin under them. :shake: :lol3:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » June 29th, 2009, 4:06 am

Marinepits wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:I get them wholesale at about $40 each. They're especially good for older dogs or dogs that have arthritis.....they helped with Alfred a lot.

I think I got mine from PetEdge originally -- where do you get yours?

yes, link please!

edit : oh duh, I read farther.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 29th, 2009, 6:13 am

Can you move, Jen? I mean, if you love your dogs as much as you say.... :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » June 29th, 2009, 7:56 am

In this real estate market? LMAO

Of course, if I REALLY loved them, we would put in the flooring we keep talking about and finish remodeling their room, then do the "built-in crates" instead of built-in bookcases. Oh, and put the radiant heat in the floors, replace the windows, replace the sliders with french doors, add a screened porch off that side of the house so they have their own deck, and........ *sigh*

Got 10K I could borrow, Joyce? :giggle:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » June 29th, 2009, 7:59 am

Marinepits wrote:I

Sure....I will give you what's remaining in my left pocket after I pay for my roof. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » June 29th, 2009, 12:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Coolaroo-Green-Bl ... d_sim_hg_1

Free shipping on anything over $25.00
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » June 29th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Marinepits wrote:In this real estate market? LMAO

Of course, if I REALLY loved them, we would put in the flooring we keep talking about and finish remodeling their room, then do the "built-in crates" instead of built-in bookcases. Oh, and put the radiant heat in the floors, replace the windows, replace the sliders with french doors, add a screened porch off that side of the house so they have their own deck, and........ *sigh*

That sounds like a really great remodel. Can I have the plans when you're done. I've always wanted a built in dog room. How many crates will you have? What about auto water/feed?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » June 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm

:lol3: Shanna, can I borrow 10k? Then I'll send you pics when we're done with the remodel! :wink:

Indy pretty much wiped us out for the next couple of years, LOL.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » June 29th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Marinepits wrote::lol3: Shanna, can I borrow 10k? Then I'll send you pics when we're done with the remodel! :wink:

Indy pretty much wiped us out for the next couple of years, LOL.

I'm thinking you're asking the wrong person for $10k, someone wiped us out also, but I know neither of us would have it any other way.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » June 29th, 2009, 5:44 pm

You are SO right! :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Living with your Pit Bull