Icky gross ear infection

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2009, 1:51 pm

Riggs' ear was all sloppy and gushy this weekend, which would have been normal up at camp if he had been swimming... but he hadn't.

It was bugging him a lot, but he wanted me to rub it and he let me clean it out a bit with a piece of cloth. It was all clear fluid with some blood.

Yesterday, we did a couple of saline rinses and it brought up some more nastyness. This morning we rinsed it out again, and got some yellowish globs with a little blood. His ear is red, but not swollen, and it's Riggs, so I can't really tell if it hurts or is just uncomfortable.

I'd like to just get it dried out in there, but I obviously can't use anything that will sting (though any of you are welcome to come over and try. :wink: ) Any suggestions? He's quite tolerant of the saline, I think it feels good to get things moving. He fusses a little but it's more for show than actually trying to get away from me while we put it in.

thoughts?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Honestly, it might warrant a vet visit...I know times are tough for everyone...but I'm not stranger to ear infections (Sacha is a lab), but she's NEVER had anything like you're describing...and the blood is definitely making me a bit concerned...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marinepits » June 22nd, 2009, 2:25 pm

Vet visit time, dude.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » June 22nd, 2009, 2:38 pm

Earl gets these all the time (minus the blood). I have some stuff sitting on my dresser that I used for him that worked well.

I'll let you know what it is when I get home
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » June 22nd, 2009, 4:00 pm

I think the blood is from him digging at it with his hind foot, he really digs in. it's fresh blood, not clotted stuff like it's been sitting around in there.

katiek0417 wrote:I know times are tough for everyone

I know you don't mean it like this, but I just want to clarify it to anyone reading - I am not avoiding the vet for a money reason. However, I am also not opposed to treating problems at home if possible.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm

mnp13 wrote:I think the blood is from him digging at it with his hind foot, he really digs in. it's fresh blood, not clotted stuff like it's been sitting around in there.

katiek0417 wrote:I know times are tough for everyone

I know you don't mean it like this, but I just want to clarify it to anyone reading - I am not avoiding the vet for a money reason. However, I am also not opposed to treating problems at home if possible.

Yep, sorry...I should've clarified...I didn't mean it like a money thing...I meant it more like we're all so busy right now, and it's so much easier to try to treat the issue at home prior to going to vet (merely to find out it's something stupid that could've been treated at home)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » June 22nd, 2009, 4:52 pm

Well, whether you go to the vet or not, make sure you dry it up - if he's "digging" in there and causing some bleeding, he might be stratching enough to cause a aural hematoma, and these are painful BITCHES to deal with...

Saline absolutely can't hurt, in the meantime, but if it's bacterial/yeast then it's not likely to cure it.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby ArtGypsy » June 22nd, 2009, 5:05 pm

Macy's ears get a black and goopy from allergies------------then turns into a yeast infection.
or so the vet describes it to me.

Her's are yucky too...plenty of scratching.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 22nd, 2009, 9:00 pm

Sorry I don't have any advice; just sending some well wishes for that sweet boy!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » June 23rd, 2009, 3:33 am

lots of earwax is one thing, but puss is a bit of another(I actually rarely see ear infections with puss and the only ones I see are what people consider an emergency). I know you think that the blood is from scratching, but there is a possibility it could be from a perforated ear drum or some other trauma and any ear cleaner (home-made or otherwise) that will dry them out would be REALLY bad to get in a hole in a perf'ed eardrum and really irritating to a raw or open piece of tissue.

I think this warrants a trip to the vet (you never know, it IS Speargrass season so it could even be from a foreign object...), they'll want to look in his ear like a human doctor would if you had the same thing, possibly clean it out more, possibly take a smear or run a culture, and send you home with some meds for the ear...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » June 23rd, 2009, 9:32 am

Please Update us on his poor-little-ear............. :?

Jody, who has a scratching/itching puppy............WTF???
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » June 23rd, 2009, 10:04 am

He has stopped digging at it, and I'm still getting some yellowish globs, but not fluid or much blood. There are a lot of scabs on his ear flap from him scratching it, and when I clean it they open a little so I think that's where the blood is coming from.

He's not doing that "please stick your finger in my ear until it hits my brain" thing, so something is clearing up, and he's only shaking his head after we dump the saline in it.

I'll keep you updated...
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 23rd, 2009, 10:08 am

mnp13 wrote:He has stopped digging at it, and I'm still getting some yellowish globs, but not fluid or much blood. There are a lot of scabs on his ear flap from him scratching it, and when I clean it they open a little so I think that's where the blood is coming from.

He's not doing that "please stick your finger in my ear until it hits my brain" thing, so something is clearing up, and he's only shaking his head after we dump the saline in it.

I'll keep you updated...

I also thought somewhere someone suggested apple cider vinegar for ears...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » June 23rd, 2009, 11:25 am

I'm not getting within 10 feet of him with anything that might sting. lol

once it's healed up and normal I'll try some preventative care, but for now, I'm going to stick with this or if we go to the vet, whatever they give me.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » June 23rd, 2009, 1:08 pm

Witch hazel doesnt sting
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby blabsforbullies » June 23rd, 2009, 8:09 pm

I would suggest a vet visit as well. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby a-bull » June 23rd, 2009, 9:15 pm

Of course a vet visit is always a good idea, but . . .

My female has terrible allergies and often develops ear infections. Once upon a time a vet gave us "Zymox Otic", used 1x day for 7 days or 1x day for 14 days for chronic ear infections. I now buy it on line for around 10 bucks or so and it works GREAT. It is good for bacterial and/or yeast infections, doesn't sting and stops itching and digging almost immediately upon using it. I've never had any issues thus far with any side effects either.

(I use the one with 1.0% Hydrocortisone--great stuff).
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » June 24th, 2009, 4:05 am

so, how does the ear look? :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » June 24th, 2009, 10:21 am

It's looking good! Very pale, no new scabs. Some yellow gunk is still coming out, but not much. It still sounds gushy, but no more gushy than the other ear and they always sound like that.

He holds still for us to flush it out, so it must feel good, but he does give token dirty looks.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » June 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm

mnp13 wrote:He holds still for us to flush it out, so it must feel good, but he does give token dirty looks.

For us? Don't tell me Demo is actually helping clean Riggs' ear...
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health