Duke

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby madremissy » June 19th, 2009, 1:09 am

Count us in for good thoughts :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » June 19th, 2009, 5:24 am

The only thing I know about "kennel fighting" is with dogs at the shelter I worked at. We called it "fence fighting". Basically, a dog disliked the one next to them, and would lunge, bark and try to eat through the wired fence. We just moved them elsewhere. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » June 19th, 2009, 8:53 pm

How did it go today?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » June 19th, 2009, 9:06 pm

The vet visit went well. Duke was a good boy, no barking or lunging in the lobby and was great with the staff. Happy and friendly..until they tried to give him his shots. Bad dog Duke emerged. He doesn't like shots and doesn't like being restrained. Had to be muzzled to get his shots. :nono: I guess a demon from the past emerged. After the shots, good Duke returned and was happy and friendly the rest of the visit. We've discovered some other little oddities about him in the week we've had him. He doesn't like having his leg picked up off the ground :crazy2:

He got a clean bill of health. Shots up to date. Heartworm negative. Fecal negative.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 19th, 2009, 9:13 pm

:woowoo: for clean bill of health.

Those others are things that can be worked on. I am happy to hear it went well. :hug3:
madremissy

Postby shady-angel » June 19th, 2009, 10:27 pm

:bounce: :confetti: YAY for the healthy vet visit!

Glad to hear you are doing good by him, Angie would be so proud! :goodStuff: :loveU:
All dogs have their Quirks, Cujo doesn't like people with black jackets and hats.
He also doesn't like the cockatoo at the pet shop where he gets his nails clipped. :confused:
hope the intros still going well. :D
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby CinderDee » June 20th, 2009, 1:28 am

Yay for the clean bill of health!!! :confetti:

I don't like needles either! :x
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » June 20th, 2009, 8:18 am

We have been diligent about crating Duke and keeping he and Trouble separated. Since Trouble has the run of the house, I close our bedroom door and take Duke out of his crate, feed him and spend some 'quality' time with just him.

Trouble was good with this until the last couple of days. Now she lays with her nose glued to the door and whines if she hears me talking to Duke or playing with him. Doesn't this just make her more jealous of the 'other' dog if she feels Duke is getting attention she wants?

I just don't want to be doing more harm than good :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby groovinluv » June 20th, 2009, 5:36 pm

hugapitbull wrote:I had written a note to the owner of the kennel where we got him and mentioned his barking, lunging, and she referred to it as kennel fighting. Can anyone shed any light on that term? Is it simply the reaction of running and jumping at the fence when they see a distraction or is there more to it? How long does it take to break them of the habit? What is the best approach? Right now we hang on, tell him no in a calm voice and assure him it is OK. Within a minute we can get him to sit, but he is still super excited.

We are trying to find a way to get a substantial tie out to exercise him from. Right now I'm running him up and down the hall, chasing the ball and bringing it back. If he drops it for me he gets a treat. Also he's getting a bit of exercise with the cuz. He's trying to eat the feet off, and just about has the squeak figured out. When he wants to play, he growls. I'm thinking that could scare the pejabbers out of some folks.

He has a vet appointment tomorrow for a checkup. Can't wait to see how he reacts to that environment.

Kennel fighting, is more "lines of defense" the dog itself draws in a kennel enviroment.
This is why its important not to let the house dog charge up to a new dog in kennel or a room, the same thing begins to happen, which is the dog feels that the line of the crate/kennel/room is "THE" line of defense, kind of
"the world is mine up to that point/line"
In a stressful enviroment like a kennel, the dog doesnt have a true leader or human to look up to, so that line is drawn pretty heavily and quickly.
All that scares a dog or worries a dog is past that line, they begin to defend it.
The longer a dog is housed in a stressful enviroment the more reactive it becomes.
ex.
Dog comes in,scared, nervous, etc.
Dog sees busy/dogs, smells things new,scary etc. It draws its line to feel safe
The line is challenged by dogs walking by, strangers, mistakes happen-as dogs allowed to bark at dog while it is IN the kennel,
Dog begins to defend, usually by either cowering or barking
as the dog stays longer the barking can go into posturing, growling, lunging.

Now the dog is drawing lines of defense in your yard.. we can control this by drawing more approiate lines, AWAY from the actual fence line, by using lunge lines, kennels that are away from the fence and in a quieter area of the yard, etc.

We do not want a dog to "run the fence" as just like in the kennel enviroment it can grow.

So try leashing the dog so it can not run to the fence. It could just be trigering to bark at the neighbors just because they are new and maybe a bit scary, dog still isnt feeling 100% comfy so it is defending its new line.

this make any sense?

Lunge lines are cheap at the ol Wally World (walmart) they are light cotton leashes, they arent for tying a dog out, but for control as we are out with them, they are not super strong, but for training they work great a few bucks for 12 or 20 feet lines!

Hope this sheds some light and helps to explain it a bit..
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby shady-angel » June 21st, 2009, 4:35 am

hugapitbull wrote:We have been diligent about crating Duke and keeping he and Trouble separated. Since Trouble has the run of the house, I close our bedroom door and take Duke out of his crate, feed him and spend some 'quality' time with just him.

Trouble was good with this until the last couple of days. Now she lays with her nose glued to the door and whines if she hears me talking to Duke or playing with him. Doesn't this just make her more jealous of the 'other' dog if she feels Duke is getting attention she wants?

I just don't want to be doing more harm than good :|

Have you done lots of stuff with both dogs together but under control?
I'm no dog trainer, I HAVE ISSUES WITH MY OWN DOG! :D
But is there somewhere local you could go for help? dog trainer, breeder, obedience centre? :|
They need to be able to smell each other and take a gander. :kissBlush: I know once cujo has established that it's a bitch and there fore he doesn't have to show who boss, he calms down allot but with younger neutered male dogs it can depend on the other dog. If it's friendly cujo wants to just play but it can get ugly if they get too excited.
Good luck!
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby hugapitbull » June 22nd, 2009, 6:37 pm

A quick update. Duke had to go back to the vet this afternoon. He started vomiting about an hour after he ate last night. Repeat of the same this morning. He isn't dehydrated, and still has plenty of energy, no tenderness in the tummy. Dr F isn't overly concerned. He gets limited water tonight and special food after 9AM in the morning - small amount to see if it stays down, little more a little later, etc, call if he doesn't stop tomorrow. He got a shot in the office and came home with pills and special diet for a few days.

We're not to let him eat grass :shock: - his favorite food supplement. :crazy2:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » June 22nd, 2009, 7:21 pm

Aww Sending good thoughts for Mr. Duke. :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
madremissy

Postby CinderDee » June 22nd, 2009, 11:16 pm

Awww, poor guy. Good thoughts from here too! :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » June 23rd, 2009, 5:21 am

Duke probably just wants some of the attention that Trouble gets. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » June 23rd, 2009, 7:51 am

iluvk9 wrote:Duke probably just wants some of the attention that Trouble gets. :)
Naw..... Our Vet just needs to make payroll :rolleyes2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » June 23rd, 2009, 8:21 am

Does the vet think that maybe he reacted to the shots?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jenn » June 23rd, 2009, 9:33 am

:goodthoughts: Feel better soon Duke!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Pit♥bull » June 23rd, 2009, 9:37 am

TinaMartin wrote:Does the vet think that maybe he reacted to the shots?
:| Unknown.
Says he's in great shape :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » June 23rd, 2009, 1:18 pm

How is he today?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » June 23rd, 2009, 1:24 pm

CinderDee wrote:How is he today?

Well Duke is good today, but I'm on the phone with Bob right now and Trouble is throwing up now >(
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk