I Think I "Cured" Doogie

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 18th, 2009, 1:06 pm

By accident. Doogie has always been 'special'. A little bit OCD and autistic like. It took me a year to crate train him and in truth I didn't really train him at all. I just tethered him next to his crate for about a year and I think he eventually forgot he was terrified of it and has crated like a dream ever since. He's never been a particularly demonstrative dog, and doesn't like rolling on his back for tummy scratches or anything. Very friendly but not the love slut that I'm used to with Pit Bulls.

He's terrible about his toe nail trims and I've always had to sedate him for them so it's not such a power struggle. I've been chatting with his vet about alternatives for sedation (Ace makes me nervous and Valium doesn't work on him at all) so she suggested I try Xanax. Well, last night Doogie hurt his foot and I needed to check it out. He was also due for a TNT so I figured I'd try the Xanax and get both things done at the same time.

O.M.G.

He's like a different dog. I went to check on him and it looked like he couldn't use his front legs and I freaked out. Well, it turns out he was just being goofy and laying on his front legs with his butt in the air wagging away. THEN he rolled over onto his back for a good five straight minutes of tummy scritches. He's super outgoing still today and perky. Not head shy at all anymore and just generally more relaxed than I remember ever seeing him.

Weird.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 18th, 2009, 1:21 pm

lol

He was high!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » June 18th, 2009, 1:30 pm

:giggle:

dogs on drugs are funny.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » June 18th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Yep. :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » June 18th, 2009, 1:54 pm

It's weird....even 18 hours later he's a different dog. Like....normal. 8)
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » June 18th, 2009, 3:35 pm

better living through chemistry!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby furever_pit » June 18th, 2009, 5:00 pm

awww stoney pooches.
Cats are hilarious too.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm

We have to ACE Ruby and Connor for 4th of July fireworks, it's hard not to giggle when we get them out of their crates while they're stoned. Last year, Connor lifted his leg to pee and tipped right over. Poor Ruby just couldn't figure out how to jump all the way up onto the couch.

We've never tried Xanax for them though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » June 18th, 2009, 7:38 pm

mnp13 wrote:We have to ACE Ruby and Connor for 4th of July fireworks, it's hard not to giggle when we get them out of their crates while they're stoned. Last year, Connor lifted his leg to pee and tipped right over. Poor Ruby just couldn't figure out how to jump all the way up onto the couch.

We've never tried Xanax for them though.

It seems like more and more people are choosing Xanax. Instead of just sedating them it also seems to relieve more anxiety as well. Certainly worked for The Doogster!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby madremissy » June 18th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I got some pointers from Jeanine and I am going to try this on Gotty tomorrow. Just a little at a time to see how he does. If not then to the vet we go for a sedated nail trim. :(
Thanks Jeanine :wave2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BigDogBuford » June 18th, 2009, 10:31 pm

And of course everyone always remember to consult with your vet if any questions or concerns. My vet has to answer endless questions from me. :D
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Nutrition & Health