Yeasty Feet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby lellis34 » June 15th, 2009, 11:21 am

Hey All, Roxy has a yeast infection on her feet. I'm pretty sure that's what it is - looks similar to what King had a while back. I can't get her in to the vet until later this week. Any suggestions to treat until I get her in? I've had to Bitter Apple her feet to keep her from chewing/licking them - which is what I think started this mess in the first place. I had her at the vet on Saturday for her Bordatella and totally forgot to mention her feet.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Malli » June 15th, 2009, 1:13 pm

If you can get Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, you could start daily foot baths for her. Its an antifungal shampoo that my vet Rx's for low grade yeasties.

Probably best if she's REALLY chewing to strap an E collar on her, too. So she can leave her feet entirely alone for a few days and let them dry out.

What do her feet look like?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » June 15th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Acidophalus (sp) supplements and apple cider vinegar soaks and an e collar?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » June 15th, 2009, 2:01 pm

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby lellis34 » June 15th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Good stuff. Thanks!! I'll try some of it tonight. Managed to get her an appointment for tomorrow night so he can let me know for certain if that's what it is.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby lellis34 » June 17th, 2009, 11:15 am

Well, it's yeast and bacteria. She's on clavomox and something else. We talked a bit about allergies and other stuff. Whoo hooo, potential for another allergy dog. How exciting. :nono:

She really just started chewing at her feet within the last month or so which seems to coincide with her increased crate time to deal with her housebreaking issues. He said it could be anxiety or boredome causing her to do it in her crate, and just a comforting thing for her to do when she's not in the crate but falling asleep (which is when I usually see it). So giving her the meds, putting some bitter apple on the feet, and giving her a frozen stuffed Kong during the day when she's crated so she has something to occupy her mind for a bit. Sooo, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully all will clear up in the next couple of weeks.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Return to Nutrition & Health