Duke

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » June 14th, 2009, 11:06 am

You will all be happy to know we are starting at square one and 'trying' to do it right. Duke has been moved to our spare bedroom and crated. He has been out this morning for a long leashed walk in the yard. Bob walked with him, then I took him so Bob could get the crate moved. We are allowing him to eat in the kitchen. He had his breakfast and went right back to the crate.

With Trouble's illness, I can't see putting her through the extra stress of being crated. She hasn't had to be crated since she was 18 - 24 months old. We don't have to worry about her going in Duke's bedroom to bother him, she's like Kato, she stays in her couch potato state all day and place is on our bed.

The very last thing we want is a problem with the dogs, and to go against EVERYONE'S advise is just crazy. I'll keep posting, you keep correcting me, and we'll get there. I don't have fragile feeling, so don't be afraid to lay it on the line.

Thank you all again for being persistent with your point.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » June 14th, 2009, 11:06 am

I got a phone call last night and was directed to read groovinluv's thread, which I hadn't read before (as I wasn't introducing two dogs, I skipped it :| ) My introduction method with Riggs and Ruby was a bit more relaxed than what's described in her post, but it follows mostly along the same lines. You need to find the balance that works for you, but in my (and I'll take the step to say hers as well) opinion, you definately need to take a large step in that direction! :)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » June 14th, 2009, 4:28 pm

You are getting a lot of good advice! It's been mentioned but I don't think Duke belongs on the bed AT ALL. Part of introducing a new dog to the home is letting Trouble know that her position in your home is still safe. As long as Trouble feels confident in the things going on, I really don't think you'll have too many issues. If she feels threatened or feels like she has to fight to keep her place in the house then you are more likely to deal with fighting dogs. I think the bed should remain as Trouble's spot, or neither dogs should be allowed up there.

Also when you do have the dogs together it is your job to defend Trouble when Duke is up in her face and making her feel uncomfortable. You should be correcting Duke and telling him to leave Trouble alone and not get in her grill.

I agree I think you should be taking this time to focus on Duke work on teaching him the rules of the house, and then work on an introduction with Trouble.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby hugapitbull » June 14th, 2009, 4:54 pm

plebayo wrote:You are getting a lot of good advice! It's been mentioned but I don't think Duke belongs on the bed AT ALL. Part of introducing a new dog to the home is letting Trouble know that her position in your home is still safe. As long as Trouble feels confident in the things going on, I really don't think you'll have too many issues. If she feels threatened or feels like she has to fight to keep her place in the house then you are more likely to deal with fighting dogs. I think the bed should remain as Trouble's spot, or neither dogs should be allowed up there.

Also when you do have the dogs together it is your job to defend Trouble when Duke is up in her face and making her feel uncomfortable. You should be correcting Duke and telling him to leave Trouble alone and not get in her grill.

I agree I think you should be taking this time to focus on Duke work on teaching him the rules of the house, and then work on an introduction with Trouble.

We are doing well today with keeping Duke crated. Trouble is totally ignoring the fact that there is a crate and a dog in the other room. We have been very diligent about correcting Duke if he got in Trouble's face. I think simply by not changing Trouble's routine, that should reinforce her status. Needless to say, the bed will be a non-issue until the crate period is over. At that point we will definitely reconsider our position on allowing him on the bed.

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby shady-angel » June 15th, 2009, 3:21 am

:hello: Glad to hear you got back safely from the trip.
Looks like bundles of fun! :confetti: :goodStuff:
Hope all goes well with intros. :groupHug: Keep up the updates!
Send some piccy's when you can. :beerChug:
:goodthoughts: As always!
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby CinderDee » June 16th, 2009, 2:58 am

Just stopping in to send some :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » June 16th, 2009, 7:34 pm

We're on day three of Duke's time-out. For the most part all is well. Duke is starting to get his nose out of joint a bit when he has to go back in the crate. He's vocal for a few seconds after we leave the room, but settles quickly. He gets up with me in the morning and has his first potty break and then has breakfast. He's then with me until I re-crate him just prior to heading out the door.

Bob takes him out a couple of times a day and spends time with him, walks him in the yard, and works on his obedience commands.

I take him out of the crate when I get home and take him for a quick potty break and a very few commands then let him help with get dinner ready. Then he's back to the crate for an hour or two before I give him another outing.

I am having some minor issues, nothing that I'm overly concerned about at this point. He is triggered into a barking, lunging, problem child when the neighbors behind us are in their back yard. He can be brought into control, but not before he puts on quite a show. Last night he decided to grab the leash in his mouth, growl, and spin around me. For the most part, he will respond to any command if you are quiet and calm and have lots of treats :wink: While all of this was taking place, I was able to get him to sit and calm down.

Trouble stays in the our bedroom with the door closed when Duke is out, and really only acknowledges he is around if he barks. :rolleyes2:

If there is anything wrong with this scenario, please don't hesitate to comment. A dog trainer, I'm not. :oops:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » June 16th, 2009, 8:04 pm

hugapitbull wrote: Last night he decided to grab the leash in his mouth, growl, and spin around me.

What did you do while he was playing Whirling Dervish?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » June 16th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Duke responds to a calm, soft voice, so I softly told him 'no' and as he began to calm, threw in a 'good boy'. It didn't last long, less than a minute. When he calmed, I put him back in 'heel' and headed for the door. Left him out in the house for a little bit longer with me before putting him away for the night.

And Bob would like to point out that Duke behaves PERFECTLY for him. Of course he hasn't had him out with the neighbors in the back yard yet either. :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby groovinluv » June 16th, 2009, 9:28 pm

I am not sure what obedience your hubby is working on, But work more just on simple manners and not so much obedience,
I say that because obedience can be corrective. Not sure what you are doing, so if its just simple "sits" that the dog knows that is fine. Just not too much " new ".

Men by nature and some women too, but they tend to put off a more "i dont care" vibe, which dogs see as "ooo a leader" so it isnt uncommon for us women (who tend to more be nurturers) to have to work harder at being looked to by the dog.
Just takes a bit longer. :0 )
Just keep being calm, rewarding for good behavior and kind of just hanging onto the leash and ignoring bad behaviors.
The grabbing the leash and having a lil spell there, could just be frustration, so be sure you are doing something fun in the back yard, like the round robin excercise, or something for the dog to get out some pent up energy!

Hope that helps a bit, was very glad to peek in here the other day and saw that you were slowing down.... i was becoming very worried! Good job! :mrgreen:
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » June 16th, 2009, 9:45 pm

groovinluv wrote:I am not sure what obedience your hubby is working on, But work more just on simple manners and not so much obedience,
I say that because obedience can be corrective. Not sure what you are doing, so if its just simple "sits" that the dog knows that is fine. Just not too much " new ".

Men by nature and some women too, but they tend to put off a more "i dont care" vibe, which dogs see as "ooo a leader" so it isnt uncommon for us women (who tend to more be nurturers) to have to work harder at being looked to by the dog.
Just takes a bit longer. :0 )
Just keep being calm, rewarding for good behavior and kind of just hanging onto the leash and ignoring bad behaviors.
The grabbing the leash and having a lil spell there, could just be frustration, so be sure you are doing something fun in the back yard, like the round robin excercise, or something for the dog to get out some pent up energy!

Hope that helps a bit, was very glad to peek in here the other day and saw that you were slowing down.... i was becoming very worried! Good job! :mrgreen:

Not working on any new commands, only reinforcing the ones he already knows and not correcting, just treating and verbal reinforcement for good behavior. He is very reliable with sit, down, stay, & heel, as well as a couple of fun ones - speak, big speak, and roll over. He is very treat oriented. For the few things we have wanted to stop (like eating out of Trouble's bowl) a 'no' takes care of.

Now for the truly ignorant....what is the round robin exercise? Sounds like fun!

And thank you for the comments and the encouragement. :dance:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby groovinluv » June 16th, 2009, 9:50 pm

My bad.. I thought I posted the Round Robin Excercise but I dont think I did! :oops: (self named by me and foster doggy Woody.. l o l )
Lemme go find it !

brb :dance:
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby groovinluv » June 16th, 2009, 9:55 pm

"Round Robin"

Needed:

Dog
Three throwable toys
fenced yard/safe area/lunge line if no fence or in public park
You
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take three toys, my favorite are tennis balls
Call dog to you and THROW 1st toy,
When dog gets to the toy say "come" (even if your dog doesnt understand this yet..just start installing it)
when dog comes towards you with the toy get ready to throw 2nd toy and say "OUT" (our goal is ALL the way to you, but in the beginning the dog probably wont get it yet)

THROW 2nd toy
Same thing..most dogs will drop the 1st toy when they see the 2nd toy fly, so we are installing OUT into this moment
When he runs to get the 2nd ball we say the same thing when he gets it,
"bring it!" you can say or "come" as most dogs do this naturally (again installing the word)
Toss 3rd toy when he comes towards you with an "out" as he drops the 2nd toy.

Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat!

This is a fun action packed running game, as dogs do this a few times, they seem to just pick up on the motions and have alot of fun doing this game.
I use three balls for alot of times the dog will spit the toy out in the middle of coming to you, this is ok as we just want to keep the motion of going going going.

As dogs become more advanced we can get them to "Bring" it back all the way "out" it at our feet and etc.
But in the beginning most dogs will have balls spat out everywhere..so have back ups.. l o l.

Usually when the dog becomes tired you will notice him spit the ball out further away or trot away with it..

Then we get to go retrieve and call "game over"

Round Robin is a great "before" a walk game to get out some of the "weeeeee-itis" especially in young dogs!

Ok... take 4 (or was it 5 or 6 in reality...)
Here is video of Round Robin.. I think Woody was getting pretty tired by this take.. but my other attempts were so jumpy with the camera
it made one dizzy to watch !!

VIDEO OF ROUND ROBIN starring Woody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nxsu-6wps
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby hugapitbull » June 16th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Thank you. We'll give it a try.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby shady-angel » June 17th, 2009, 8:34 pm

VIDEO OF ROUND ROBIN starring Woody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nxsu-6wps

What a gorgeous looking dog very facial! :D
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby groovinluv » June 18th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Hows it going over there?

oh and o/t shady angel.. Lemme tell ya, Woody can work those sad eyes something fierce too!
lil stinker!! :dance:
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby shady-angel » June 18th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I bet! :crazy2:
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby hugapitbull » June 18th, 2009, 9:03 pm

It is going pretty well. I think he is getting a little tired of being crated. Sometimes he's not so willing to go back to the crate, but being the treat oriented animal he is, he gives in to get the treat. :wink:

I had written a note to the owner of the kennel where we got him and mentioned his barking, lunging, and she referred to it as kennel fighting. Can anyone shed any light on that term? Is it simply the reaction of running and jumping at the fence when they see a distraction or is there more to it? How long does it take to break them of the habit? What is the best approach? Right now we hang on, tell him no in a calm voice and assure him it is OK. Within a minute we can get him to sit, but he is still super excited.

We are trying to find a way to get a substantial tie out to exercise him from. Right now I'm running him up and down the hall, chasing the ball and bringing it back. If he drops it for me he gets a treat. Also he's getting a bit of exercise with the cuz. He's trying to eat the feet off, and just about has the squeak figured out. When he wants to play, he growls. I'm thinking that could scare the pejabbers out of some folks.

He has a vet appointment tomorrow for a checkup. Can't wait to see how he reacts to that environment.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » June 18th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Good thoughts for tomorrow guys!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » June 19th, 2009, 12:19 am

Good thoughts from here too! :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk