Duke

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby LMM » June 12th, 2009, 7:28 am

Slow and steady (and bed free!) wins the race :D

*starting the chant* pics pics pics pics......
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » June 12th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Rest at last :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » June 12th, 2009, 1:53 pm

:D YAY!
He's so shiney!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2009, 2:01 pm

That is a great picture to see. But I was kinda thinking along the lines of HIS FACE. :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Pit♥bull » June 12th, 2009, 2:11 pm

madremissy wrote:That is a great picture to see. But I was kinda thinking along the lines of HIS FACE. :wink:

:neener:
Notice the red leash? I have a hard time taking photos when I'm keeping the peace :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby DropkickPA » June 12th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Aww, sleepy puppies!
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby madremissy » June 12th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:
madremissy wrote:That is a great picture to see. But I was kinda thinking along the lines of HIS FACE. :wink:

:neener:
Notice the red leash? I have a hard time taking photos when I'm keeping the peace :P

Ok, you are off the hook for now :rolleyes2: but when Shanna gets home ya'll get to snapping pictures. :D
madremissy

Postby CinderDee » June 12th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Awww, look at them. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Awwww that is too cute! :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby hugapitbull » June 12th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Update Friday -
They are really doing better. We are still in leash Duke/free Trouble mode and I expect that will be true for a while. Trouble is starting to get a little curious. Both wag tails, and share space pretty well. Trouble still gets a wee bit snarky, but is doing much better.

Duke is very well behaved, so keeping him under control has been easy. When I got home this afternoon, Bob was in bed with one on each side. Both dogs napping. I think we will start taking them out for short walks together tomorrow.

Sorry guys, pictures will have to wait for a few days, we're about out of bandwidth for the month :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby CinderDee » June 12th, 2009, 10:01 pm

I can post them for you if you want to send them to me, Shanna. :)

It sounds like it's going really well. WTG!!! :dance:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby groovinluv » June 12th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Welcome back home ! Nice looking dogs.
Just wanted to chirp in , I have been doing foster for 5 years now. And please be careful of rushing a new dog too fast.
You are in no way seeing his "True" and "honest " personality, as he is still in that testing and evaulating stage himself.

I know its exciting to have a new dog, but just think of all this dog is having to accept in changes in the past couple months.

Good Luck! I just would hate to see an argument break out at around the week 2 stage, this will set you back in months in getting the dogs acclaimated.
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » June 13th, 2009, 12:28 am

groovinluv wrote:Welcome back home ! Nice looking dogs.
Just wanted to chirp in , I have been doing foster for 5 years now. And please be careful of rushing a new dog too fast.
You are in no way seeing his "True" and "honest " personality, as he is still in that testing and evaulating stage himself.

I know its exciting to have a new dog, but just think of all this dog is having to accept in changes in the past couple months.

Good Luck! I just would hate to see an argument break out at around the week 2 stage, this will set you back in months in getting the dogs acclaimated.

While the pics are cute...I have to second this opinion. We call it the "honeymoon period"...the dogs don't act themselves for the first few weeks at least. Just be safe...and let Trouble have spots that are all her own for now. To this day, only my dogs are allowed on the bed...new dogs, boarding dogs, foster dogs, SD in training, etc...all of them have to earn bed rights...and that is not something taken lightly.

ETA...I have two that LIVE with me full time, my dogs...Inara and Sawyer...that still get pissy over rights to the bed.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » June 13th, 2009, 7:56 am

Thanks guys for all the input. We are being very cautious. Duke is never off leash and one of us is at the other end all the time. Trouble gets whatever place she wants and Duke gets what is left. Trouble gets fed and taken out first every morning, Duke gets out of his crate when she is finished.

Duke is having to adjust to a lot of changes. It has been a while since he lived in a house, but so far he has been perfect. He is very obedient which is making this as painless as possible for keeping them in minimal contact with each other. I appreciate the heads up on the 'honeymoon' period, I wasn't aware it existed. Now we will know to not let the guard down for a while yet.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby groovinluv » June 13th, 2009, 8:18 am

You might want to read my "Two weeks-give em a break" again, it speaks of this as being the dating period! :0 ) NOT the honeymoon, :mrgreen:

I would be REALLY cautious, about putting the exisiting dog as top dog. See by doing the two week shut down we tell the dog to look to us, that we humans own the house, the dog bed, etc.
By pushing (even softly) the exisiting dog to the top of the pedastal you are telling him and reinforcing him that "you are king, we ALL serve you"
It isnt the dogs house, its yours!! So by softly and gently going slow we tell the dogs that this is OUR place, and welcome and here are the new rules.

I have to admit, this worries me a bit...........

and its ok to prove me wrong.. I dont mind. But I am worried.
groovinluv
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » June 13th, 2009, 8:30 pm

groovinluv wrote:Good Luck! I just would hate to see an argument break out at around the week 2 stage, this will set you back in months in getting the dogs acclaimated.

That's what I was thinking about today.

I am so so so worried about this.

I'm really bad about not sounding preachy, so I've been trying to not post about this, but you guys are doing exactly what we did with Connor... except he was so weak that he was physically unable to walk up stairs and had a hard time with hardwood floors and Ruby was in perfect health; and you have Duke who is in prime health and Trouble who is healthy but at an obvious physical disadvantage. I really really really do want to be wrong, but if she decides that he has pushed her just a little too far and corrects him and he decides to finally test that correction - leash or no leash there is going to be a problem. You'll get them apart, that's not the issue, but you may never be able to have them in the same room together again... or at least it will be a loooooooooong while.

A week or two of complete separation, or even mostly separation (which is actually much harder than complete separation) may save you a lot of heartache down the road. Or, you may skate through this and he may be a perfect gentleman the whole time... there is no way to know.

Today I was told about two dogs who have gotten along with no problems for years. Not long ago there was a redirect due to a stray dog, and her female broke her male dog's leg with one bite. He immediately received e-vet care, but it became infected and the worst possible thing happened; the leg had to be amputated. Redirect bites (or any bites really) are usually just not a big deal, patch it up, get on with life... wrong place, wrong time, it can be a disaster. It can happen to any one at any time, to even the MOST responsible of owners - and she is one of the top.

You don't know Duke yet, you won't know him for a while. I know you want to get him integrated and part of the family quick and easy... and lots of people have had success with just "plunking" a dog into the mix. But many haven't, and none of us want you to be a "haven't."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » June 13th, 2009, 9:22 pm

I totally agree with Michelle.
I could tell you the long drawn out story with our mini doxie we had when Kinzyl first arrived but let's just say if that if Travis wasn't right there to scoop her up it would have been ugly. Sweet Pea started it (she was a BIOTCH >( ) but I don't think she could have finished. It was totally my fault but I had no clue then. :oops:
Still sending good thoughts.
madremissy

Postby TheRedQueen » June 13th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Well said, Michelle.

I think many of us are worried, but also worried about coming across as "preachy" or whatever. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby hugapitbull » June 13th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Guys, please don't feel like you're being preachy. You're the ones who do this every day and I respect that. Sometimes if you tell someone over and over and over again it sinks in. Maybe we are way overdoing the leash time. If you keep him kenneled, how often do you let him out and for how long? Is there no resentment that builds as he stews in a kennel watching with minimal contact for two or more weeks? Not trying to argue, just asking?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » June 13th, 2009, 11:04 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Guys, please don't feel like you're being preachy. You're the ones who do this every day and I respect that. Sometimes if you tell someone over and over and over again it sinks in. Maybe we are way overdoing the leash time. If you keep him kenneled, how often do you let him out and for how long? Is there no resentment that builds as he stews in a kennel watching with minimal contact for two or more weeks? Not trying to argue, just asking?

It's not "minimal contact" with you, it's minimal contact with Trouble.

When I brought Riggs home, the Princess of the World also had more crate time than usual which put her nose a little out of joint, but she got over it. They both ate in their crates, then she went out to pee, then back in the crate, then he went out to pee, then back in the crate, then she gets house time, then he gets house time. He had two crates, one in the kitchen for "day" crating next to Ruby's, and one in the bedroom for "night" crating since she sleeps in the bed with us.

His "out" time should be quality time, work on obedience, keep his mind and body active, get to know him. Definately chill out a bit, but work some as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk