my dog's coat is looking...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyLady » June 4th, 2009, 11:08 am

I would go to another doctor, get a second opinion.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby mnp13 » June 4th, 2009, 11:34 am

I spent over $800 on Riggs trying to figure this out the summer after I got him and finally gave up. We never figured out the cause.

Last year I tried "Hair on a doorknob" and though it packed on the pounds, it gave him a FANTASTIC coat. Do a search for the threads here, but definitely account for the extra fat and calories in his diet.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » June 4th, 2009, 3:05 pm

APBTlvr wrote: She told me to give him 3mg melatonin 3 times a week and see how that goes. Well I gave him melatonin monday and he had a reaction to it (i am assuming having in mind no other changes) and had a tremendous rash underneath.

Get him blood serum tested for allergies. If he's reacting *THAT* strongly to a substance, chances are he's allergic to other stuff.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby APBTlvr » June 5th, 2009, 12:07 am

I keep spending money for nothing. I don't mind paying for the services, but the problem is that I get no answers. I think I am going to switch him back on Canidae - $40 compared to $82 for Orijen fish. I guess the food is not really helping at all.

We don't really have decent vets around the area at all, which sucks.

I just get so upset that I take care of my dog, spend money on him and some of the strays in the pound have a better looking coat than he does. What happened to dogs eating table food scraps, no vets, living around the yard with no shelter, looking great and making it to 15 yrs with no problem? :-)
APBTlvr
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby APBTlvr » June 5th, 2009, 12:13 am

mnp13 wrote:I spent over $800 on Riggs trying to figure this out the summer after I got him and finally gave up. We never figured out the cause.

Last year I tried "Hair on a doorknob" and though it packed on the pounds, it gave him a FANTASTIC coat. Do a search for the threads here, but definitely account for the extra fat and calories in his diet.

I guess I will have to try this recipe. There is the other problem though - his stomach is so sensitive, that the smallest change in diet produces extremely "pleasant" smelling gas :-)

I just don't know what to do... he is getting this hair thinning, has no mange, no other causes and the only solution the doc gave me is melatonin? Which he evidently is allergic to. NEver even heard of using melatonin for hair loss...

The hair thinning doesn't seem to bother him at all, he does not scratch or lick it... it just looks like the owner does not take care of his dog.
APBTlvr
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby APBTlvr » June 5th, 2009, 12:19 am

Any recommendations on a shampoo/conditioner and food?
APBTlvr
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » June 5th, 2009, 3:21 am

can you list what you have already tried and for how long of each?
Keep in mind, each dog is different...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby APBTlvr » June 5th, 2009, 10:53 am

Malli wrote:can you list what you have already tried and for how long of each?
Keep in mind, each dog is different...

The biggest change was his food - switched him from Orijen to Orijen Fish - more than three months now, no change.

I got him new conditioner - condition his coat once a month pretty much when I switched to Orijen Fish - no change.

Obviously the melatonin will not work for him because he is obviously allergic to it.

The vet has no answers, as usual.
APBTlvr
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby blabsforbullies » June 5th, 2009, 11:48 am

I have used melatonin for some of my patients. :wink: I have had some that have had a problem called bilateral symmetrical seasonal alopecia. In other words, it is a very poorly understood phenomenon where a dog will lose hair on the sides of the body, symmetrically, during certain parts of the year. No real reason for it, though. :| I only do this after I have ruled everything else out (usually I focus on endocrine and dermatological issues first, and if that turns out ok, then I use the melatonin).
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2009, 12:41 pm

My bad, the hair summer was about $300, not $800. $800 was the winter/spring of '08 - where he had rot gut for 6 months straight.

Regardless, he was about bald on his legs for a while and looked awful.

Hair on a Doorknob is worth the gas. Promise.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2009, 1:42 pm

APBTlvr wrote:The hair thinning doesn't seem to bother him at all, he does not scratch or lick it... it just looks like the owner does not take care of his dog.

In that respect I was very fortunate, he has white hair and it is very common for white bull dogs to have very thin hair. He is also very pale so it wasn't painfully obvious except where you could see his freckles - and he doesn't have a lot of them anywhere but on his head.

But I feel for you, it can be very embarrassing. When I had him really working in weight pull and he was nothing but skin and muscle - and a LOT of muscle - someone asked me if he was one of my rescue "cases." I was appalled. Was he lean? Yes, of course, but he looked like a pro-body builder - he had muscles and veins popping out all over the place. It hurts when someone things you are neglecting your pets.

Keep your head up, we'll help you figure it out.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » June 5th, 2009, 9:32 pm

And did the hairloss start around the same time as the food switch?

If so, I'd try switching back to the other food...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby plebayo » June 5th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Have you drawn any blood work?

Even though he's a bit young I would check for low thyroid. Did they look at the hair folicles/roots? The reason I ask is they should be able to tell you whether the hair looks broken due to trauma, or if the hair is really dying. If it looks like it's being broken then he's obviously itching himself somehow and that could be more related to allergies.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby SLS61185 » June 6th, 2009, 3:43 am

Thyroid problems can cause a lot of issues... It wouldn't hurt to have that checked out. We just lost one of our cats on Tuesday due to it... We found out she had it on Monday.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BullyLady » June 6th, 2009, 8:39 am

SLS61185 wrote:Thyroid problems can cause a lot of issues... It wouldn't hurt to have that checked out. We just lost one of our cats on Tuesday due to it... We found out she had it on Monday.

I'm so sorry to hear that :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Vertigo » June 9th, 2009, 6:35 pm

Let me talk to my gf she's a Pharmacist. I have a bag of Orijen Fish and Chicken at home for the ingredients list.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Vertigo » June 9th, 2009, 6:41 pm

What are you using for flea / tick prevention?
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health