Ivermectin Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby lellis34 » June 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this but here goes....

So King has been on Ivermectin a couple of times for Demodex. He hates it - nasty stuff, can't hide it in anything. So, I end up just shooting it down his throat then treating the heck out of him. Well, i was giving them their HeartGard the other night and I noticed on the box it says Ivermectin/something or other (don't have the box in front of me).

Is this the same ivermectin that is used for demodex? And if so, why don't they just make the demodex medicine in the same manner as the HeartGard. It would certainly be easier to medicate the dogs. Mine seem to LOVE the HeartGard.

Ok, my musings are over, go back to sleep. Maybe our resident vet has some input.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby TheRedQueen » June 3rd, 2009, 9:58 am

Ivermectin is the same...I have to avoid it because it can be deadly to my Aussies. Same stuff you can buy in bulk for livestock.

I honestly don't know why they wouldn't package it the same as the Heartgard... :| Hopefully Dr. Blabs will have an answer... :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby DropkickPA » June 3rd, 2009, 10:13 am

My solution is to alway squirt it on bread and then make a peanut butter sandwich. No dog has ever been able to resist it that way.
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby lellis34 » June 3rd, 2009, 10:46 am

DropkickPA wrote:My solution is to alway squirt it on bread and then make a peanut butter sandwich. No dog has ever been able to resist it that way.

Tried it. :( King spit it out EVERY dag gone time. He's a good pill spitter too - no matter what its in he manages to get everything from around the pill and spit the pill out. He's a great catcher and usually will gulp down anything I toss to him. But put a pill in it and he manages to take everything BUT the pill. He's like the freakin' Houdini of meds.
Tuck: “you can say that again”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby mnp13 » June 3rd, 2009, 11:35 am

Have you tried the ten-toss-trick? That's what we had to do with Cleo. She would never catch the first two things you tossed her, she let them fall then sniffed them to decide if they were ok to eat. After that she would catch and then chew, then after a few more times, just catch and swallow. By the 6th or 7th one, she was just gulping them down. That's then the ones with the pills in them were tossed; it was the only way it worked with her.

Psycho boy just chews and swallows any pills I give him. Yes, chews. It doesn't matter what it is. He's so gross.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2009, 1:11 pm

maybe you can get the Ivermec compounded into something tasty? It'll cost extra, but it might be worth it.

There isn't anything I can put Oscar's pills in that he'll eat. A couple of times he took them in a great big chunk of wet food, but soon stopped taking wet food from we altogether. I have to pill him with all his meds except the Cosequin, and that capsule gets opened on the food; he'll eat his Interceptor chewable tabs, but he only gets those every couple weeks. Everything else goes down the hatch and then water gets syringed - wich he knows to drink as it'll feel better.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Vertigo » June 3rd, 2009, 2:49 pm

Maybe a stupid question but have you ever just tried opening his mouth up with you hand and throwing the pill down as far as you can then closing his mouth and tilting his head up? Works for me with Montgomery every time.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » June 3rd, 2009, 3:47 pm

Right, except Lynne's dog is taking a really awful tasting liquid ;)

and FYI, even if you toss a pill in the back of the dog's throat, he can still taste it, just like we can ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Vertigo » June 3rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

Oooohhh liquid!

Let me know what you figure out for that. I tried the tossing Pepto down the back of his throat thing that didn't work at all. We had a 30 minute wrestling match and there are still pink sports all over my kitchen.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 3rd, 2009, 4:49 pm

Vertigo wrote:Oooohhh liquid!

Let me know what you figure out for that. I tried the tossing Pepto down the back of his throat thing that didn't work at all. We had a 30 minute wrestling match and there are still pink sports all over my kitchen.

Yeah, liquid is a whole different ball game. Riggs sprayed pepto all over my all-white kitchen; 9 foot ceilings? no problem for him! :rolleyes2: but hand him the pills that taste the exact same and he chews and swallows. :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

I'm glad Connor was the one who had to take the Ivermectin, he's the only one of the three with any sort of manners. My two would have played WWE with me twice a day every day
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » June 3rd, 2009, 5:44 pm

Indy was on Ivermectin for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time when he was a pup. We used a giant scoop of beef flavored baby food and put the Ivermectin in the middle of the scoop, then shoved it in his mouth. He loved the food so much he seemed to not care about the Ivermectin. If we put the Ivermectin in anything else, he'd spit it out all over the kitchen. :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » June 3rd, 2009, 7:40 pm

Well, here is the honest answer (or at least in my opinion why :) )...

Using ivermectin orally for demodex is "off labeled" use. :rolleyes2: That means that although it works like a charm, and is safe to most dogs (collie/aussie-types excluded :wink: ), it is not FDA approved for that purpose. >( And, until that happens (which may never happen, because most drug companies aren't going to spend the time and money to "prove" something we already know works :doh: , so to speak), there probably won't be any products coming out to help us with giving it orally. :nono:

There are compounding pharmacies, and even ones that will formulate it into a chewie very similar to the Heartgard, that can help. :D I have no idea what the price for something like that would be. But I know we get flyers and such all the time, so I know it is done frequently. :wink3:

I hope that helps a little. :| I had a severe case of demodex in a collie cross puppy a few years back (FYI: it has now been proven that only certain genetic lines of these types of dogs are ivermectin sensitive. Problem is that we don't know who they are :shake: , so why take the chance :wink2: ). Again, using an off label dose, I was able to treat with the heartworm preventative Interceptor. This was SOOOOOO expensive. :dollar: I felt so bad for the owners, who luckily, were able to do it. It would be equally, if not more so, cost prohibitive to do that with the Heartgard tablets. DEMODEX IS A PAIN IN THE KEESTER!!!! :cuss:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby babyreba » June 6th, 2009, 9:33 pm

If you have the Ivermectin that is sold for livestock, it usually comes in a bottle that's made for syringes ... meaning, you need a needled syringe to suck the stuff up. If that's the case, you take your dosage into your syringe and slowly and carefully inject it into a 1/4 hunk of hot dog.

Feed your dog a non-Ivomec hot dog hunk, then follow with the Ivomec treated dog . . . and most dogs just swallow it down and hardly even notice it.

If your dog does notice it, just make sure to place the hot dog into his mouth at the very back of the mouth, hold his muzzle shut for a second, and he'll swallow and won't even know he had that nasty-tasting stuff in his mouth cuz it'll go down so fast!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » June 6th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Sucks that the paste for horses (in very practical long syringes made to make it deep into a horse's mouth, and the paste can be apple flavored) is so concentrated that gauges on the syringe are per 250 lbs... It would be so easy to give. But impossible not to overdose.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm

I am going back to giving ivermectin to my dogs for heartworm prevention...

Typically, I just put it on their food...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health