food question-----------and Raw Pork?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 31st, 2009, 6:25 pm

Okay. Gerry just came back from the grocery store and brought home a pig's Hocks and pork neck bones for a treat for Dar. I had been talking with her about eventually switching him to raw, and she thought these would be good.

comments?????????

I am now mixing Blue Buffalo (first ingred. is deboned chicken, then chicken meal, then whole grain brown rice)
with the puppy large breed Innova, which first ingred; turkey, chicken, then chicken meal....

comments......suggestions...........???

If I do half raw and half of these two kibbles, can someone give me some insights????

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody, who has NO IDEA about this raw pork thing.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2009, 7:21 pm

I have fed a LOT of pork to mine. Neck bones are very cheap but usually dont have enough meat for a whole meal. Some do though. They are great for treats though

I would feed the raw separate from the kibble though, separate meals, maybe one in the a.m. & one in the evening.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » May 31st, 2009, 7:25 pm

If he is a gulper please be VERY VERY careful feeding hocks. That's what almost killed Riggs back in January. There is nothing wrong with feeding raw pork, but the bones aren't all that big and they are very hard, so please supervise carefully.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 31st, 2009, 7:27 pm

Ollie choked on pigs feet. She threw up & choked as a foot was coming back up.

I made a new sticky in the RAW section, check out the links, they should help you get started feeding RAW. And of course we are always here to help! :)

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29925
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TheRedQueen » June 2nd, 2009, 9:15 am

Please do a TON of research on feeding RAW...as you can really mess a dog up. I like the RAW diet, and fed it for years, but had some issues with my dogs and RAW, so I switched back to kibble. RAW is time intensive to get it right...and there is nothing wrong with a good quality kibble.

My guys get kibble and raw as a snack or chewing exercise.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » June 2nd, 2009, 9:22 am

cheekymunkee wrote:I have fed a LOT of pork to mine. Neck bones are very cheap but usually dont have enough meat for a whole meal. Some do though. They are great for treats though

I would feed the raw separate from the kibble though, separate meals, maybe one in the a.m. & one in the evening.

+1 to that! I wouldn't even mix them twelve hours apart but that's just me. For me it's kibble or raw.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TinaMartin » June 2nd, 2009, 10:00 am

Gator adores pork! I just get the biggest hocks I can so Gator doesn't try to swallow them whole. But then if I didnt tell him to chew he would swallow a leg quarter whole.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby bizzo518 » June 9th, 2009, 1:37 pm

whats the issue/problem with combining the two at a meal? Im using CORE Wellness kibble and a RAW diet using ground up bones beef and organ tissue and tripe....my dog loves it, has had no problems,good stool...etc....
bizzo518
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » June 9th, 2009, 3:06 pm

bizzo518 wrote:whats the issue/problem with combining the two at a meal? Im using CORE Wellness kibble and a RAW diet using ground up bones beef and organ tissue and tripe....my dog loves it, has had no problems,good stool...etc....

Dogs digest kibble and RAW at different rates... it can cause stomach upsets for some. :)

Oh, and mine get HORRIBLE gas from any pork products. :rolleyes2: :puke:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby bizzo518 » June 9th, 2009, 4:21 pm

i had heard hat, but....she hasnt had a problem ill watch her closley...but the 45 zoomies a day she does...she seems to be fine..lol
bizzo518
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » June 9th, 2009, 8:33 pm

From my understanding, as Christine said, dogs digest the foods at two different speeds...as a result, the digestive system in the dog never really gets a chance to NOT work...

I haven't had good luck with pork...gives my dogs awful gas...so, I like to stick with beef, fish, and chicken...however, feeding raw is actually much easier than kibble for us. We do the raw meat, vertex, kelp, salmon oil (unless we're giving fish for dinner), a raw egg 3 times a week, and garlic pills...our dogs look healthy, and look great, and act great...

But every dog is different!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder