Tucker's Tooth

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Marinepits » May 30th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Yesterday afternoon, Tucker and the rest of the crew were enjoying a marathon-bone-chewing session. I heard a gigantic CRACK and saw Tucker spit out a chunk of bone, then paw at his face. He stopped after a little bit and I didn't think anything else about it.

This morning, Tucker woke me up by thrashing around the living room. I checked on him and he was alternating legs and pawing hard at his mouth, drooling a LOT, and hacking a bit. Steve and I tried to check his mouth, but he started snarking at us, so I called the vet and took him right in.

Dr Jackson and I couldn't hold him still enough to check his mouth without him snarking at us, so she sedated him and took a look. She pulled a small piece of bone out of his last molars, where it had wedged between his tooth and his gumline. It had already started to get infected. Had I waited until Monday, he probably would've started to abcess and he may have needed surgery to fix it.

He got a shot of antibiotics, then she gave him the shot to wake him up and now he's back to his normal goofy self although still somewhat gorked out from the sedative -- he was standing on the porch, eyes closed, swaying back-and-forth, and kept "catching" himself before he fell over. He'll be on amoxicillian for the next week, but otherwise he'll be perfectly fine.

Moral of the story -- if your dog is drooling, pawing at his mouth/face, hacking and/or coughing, and does not want to eat or eats "carefully", suspect that he may have something lodged in his teeth or throat. Of course, if your dog is having problems breathing, take him to the vet immediately.

(A note about Tucker -- he's very fearful about being handled against his will due to his very abusive past, especially when it comes to his feet and his mouth. It's not normal behaviour, we know that, he's a work in progress and is MUCH better than we first got him.)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 30th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Poor kiddo - that sounds really painful!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » May 30th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Glad he's better now. Poor thing, I bet that hurt :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » May 30th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Ouch :(
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 30th, 2009, 6:25 pm

The bone shard was pretty damn sharp and about the size of my pinkie fingernail. It sorta looked like a flint arrowhead without the point.

Right now he's snoring away, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyLady » May 31st, 2009, 8:31 am

Aw, poor Tucker! I'm glad to hear he's going to be okay, but man.... mouth stuff is like the worst and most painful. Lots of butt scritches from me to Tucker!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » May 31st, 2009, 9:35 am

eewwww....that hurt me just reading it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » May 31st, 2009, 11:32 am

WOW, poor little man. I am glad he is getting better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby blabsforbullies » May 31st, 2009, 12:01 pm

Poor Tucker! I'm glad he is ok.... :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » May 31st, 2009, 1:04 pm

Marinepits wrote:(A note about Tucker -- he's very fearful about being handled against his will due to his very abusive past, especially when it comes to his feet and his mouth. It's not normal behaviour, we know that, he's a work in progress and is MUCH better than we first got him.)

Hell, I snark at my dentist for doing far less, so I don't blame him one bit!

I'm glad he's feeling better!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health