spot-on flea/tick treatments safe?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » May 29th, 2009, 8:38 am

Hey guys.........

on CBS last night, there was a story about a 53% increase in flea/tick meds giving animals severe skin reactions and many dogs/cats dying.

One of my many errands today included going to the vet to get Dar started on his own once a month treatment and get his heartworm meds started.

There were no brands specified---only that these were once sold at the vets, but now were OTC.

Can anyone give me any insights ???????????

I've always used Frontline Spray on the cats and Dogs.

(we have terrible time with fleas here---frontline is the only thing that has ever worked).

Thanks Guys

Jody
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 29th, 2009, 8:40 am

I believe the crap you can buy in the grocery store (Hartz, etc) is what's causing most of the problems. I never use a topical flea/tick liquid because Inara's on Sentinel tabs which covers heartworms, fleas and ticks.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby blabsforbullies » May 29th, 2009, 8:52 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I believe the crap you can buy in the grocery store (Hartz, etc) is what's causing most of the problems.

You are correct. :wink: We were told that there has been an "increase in reported adverse reactions", but as a general statement, not related to brands that we carry. Technically, Frontline, K9 Advantix, Sentinel, etc are NOT supposed to be over the counter, and are not considered as such by the FDA.
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby a-bull » May 29th, 2009, 10:36 am

I had a negavite reaction with one of my three dogs with K-9 Advantix, (65 lb. dog). She started coughing within hours of its' use, an allergic sounding cough. The vet said it couldn't be the flea treatment :| so I didn't wash it off. The cough continued until the last week of the products effectiveness. The coughing also caused her to cough up her food after every meal, for almost the whole month.

Haven't used the stuff again and the symptoms have never returned. :|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby call2arms » May 29th, 2009, 12:20 pm

That's weird. I've never heard of complaints about the vet-carried brands, except that it can cause a greasy spot at the application site, and sometimes a bit of dandruff.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » May 29th, 2009, 1:29 pm

call2arms wrote:That's weird. I've never heard of complaints about the vet-carried brands, except that it can cause a greasy spot at the application site, and sometimes a bit of dandruff.

I have. :( I hear it mostly about K9 Advantix, but it still isn't that often. :mrgreen:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby hugapitbull » May 29th, 2009, 2:50 pm

I used the different vet offered products on Trouble for years, particularly after discovering she had a flea allergy. I began to suspect the products were aggravating her allergies and stopped using them about three years ago. I sometimes will use it if she has to be at the kennel, but try to stay away from it.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby call2arms » May 29th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Dr. Blabs, around here there are very little ticks, so it's quite uncommon to sell K9 Advantix, out of the 3 clinics I've worked at, only one carries it and it's mostly sold to people heading south with their dogs, so that's probably why we don't see it.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » May 29th, 2009, 6:24 pm

call2arms wrote:Dr. Blabs, around here there are very little ticks, so it's quite uncommon to sell K9 Advantix, out of the 3 clinics I've worked at, only one carries it and it's mostly sold to people heading south with their dogs, so that's probably why we don't see it.

I was born, raised, and educated in Colorado :heartbeat: , where unless you are in the mountains, we saw very few ticks and even less fleas! :clap: I had to learn VERY quickly when I moved here. :geek:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby ArtGypsy » May 29th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Today I bought 7 doses (one free) of Revolution. They suggested that one because it was a little more cost efficient for me, and we've never had a tick on a dog here. (well, maybe once or twice in 10 years)...the ticks are here in nebraska, for sure, but not here in the back YARD, :dance: ))

it cost me around 83 bucks. it has heartworm stuff and flea stuff...ear mite stuff...etc...

then I bought a bottle of Frontline spray, like I do every year.......around 32 bucks.........

and a 30 pound bag of INnova puppy, for 65 bucks.

I'm BROKE............. :|

but LOVE ME SOME DAR!!!!!!!! :dance:

Trainer said he was very very appropriate with all the dogs at daycare..........Even a pushy, aggressive Boston Terrier. Dar never once showed ANY DA........**clapping hands**....

I'm going to start Cole in therapy.
(long story)..... :rolleyes2: :(

and of COURSE, the first night is TUESDAY. The only day 'they' had available **50miles from us, EAST. Puppy class is another 15 miles WEST))........so...........
the trainer said I could just start at session 2 at the next 'round' of classes.

I"m glad.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Return to Nutrition & Health