Post surgery question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby LMM » May 28th, 2009, 9:54 am

So as most of you know, Junie had emergency surgery a little while ago for swallowing a sock :rolleyes2: She was shaved in two place, one for the surgery and one for her pain patch. I check both places out regularly to see how well her coat is growing back. Over the weekend I was checking out her incision and noticed it's crinkly underneath the skin. No other way to explain it but it feels like there are hard, crinkly things in her belly by the incision. Any thoughts?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » May 28th, 2009, 10:18 am

No real insight, but... Sepp has the same exact thing under his skin where he got neutered. :shock:

I'm thinking it's scar tissue, maybe??? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » May 28th, 2009, 1:51 pm

probably scar tissue around the suture material - are the bumps fairly regular??

Monitor her closely for any signs of lethargy or inappetance, also monitor the sugery site for any redness, swelling, dishcharge or discoloration...

If you've already noted any of this, then get to the vet asap! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » May 28th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Hahaha no I haven't noted any of that but I do have a call into the vet just to ease my mind by asking some questions. The thing that's weirding me out is the way it feels. Does scar tissue generally feel metal-y? I mean it's crinkly like metal under the skin.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » May 28th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Kayden's incision area had crusty blood in there for a while that I couldn't get out and the skin around there was droopy for a little while but it has firmed up (and the scar area feels very tight)

When did she have her staples out?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LMM » May 28th, 2009, 2:19 pm

I was hoping you'd chime in Matt since Kayden had the same procedure at the same place lol

She had her staples out hmmm I guess maybe a month ago? They've been out for a while. Her scar area never felt droopy but I just noticed this crinkly feeling.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » May 28th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Lol, I'm not sure I really ever felt Kayden's, so maybe it had the same feel. Now I can't tell he had anything done other than the tightness around the scar.

I know that the surgeon mentioned that it would take some time for the abdominal wall to strengthen back up so maybe that is part of it :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby LMM » May 28th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Yea I know, I'm feeling Junie up and I need to quit so I've already been told :rolleyes2:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby blabsforbullies » May 28th, 2009, 7:09 pm

I would guess either sutures under the skin, suture reaction, or scar tissue. :?

I hope things are ok! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby LMM » May 29th, 2009, 11:44 am

blabsforbullies wrote:I would guess either sutures under the skin, suture reaction, or scar tissue. :?

I hope things are ok! :dance:

They said most likely it's the sutures and sometimes it can take mooooooooooonths for them to dissolve. I'm assuming that's true, I'm no vet or vet tech lol

But she also mentioned a possible suture reaction and asked if I could bring her in so a nurse can take a look at her. So in the next few days I'll be trying to find time to bring her in there for a quick looksie.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby call2arms » May 29th, 2009, 11:58 am

My guess is with sutures too, the ones we use for abdominal surgeries under the skin are supposed to dissolve after around 8 months, to make sure everything is healed up nicely.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » May 29th, 2009, 12:10 pm

LMM wrote:
They said most likely it's the sutures and sometimes it can take mooooooooooonths for them to dissolve. I'm assuming that's true, I'm no vet or vet tech lol

But she also mentioned a possible suture reaction and asked if I could bring her in so a nurse can take a look at her. So in the next few days I'll be trying to find time to bring her in there for a quick looksie.

I agree with call2arms :D .... it can take a very long time for those suckers to dissolve! :neutral:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Malli » May 30th, 2009, 1:59 am

yeah, I finally took out Oscar's in his eyelid after a month, they were working their way out and since they were continuous and looped it looked like a bad earing or something...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health