intro for Michelle

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby mibarra » May 28th, 2009, 7:09 am

I have a two year old american bulldog mix and I niavely didn't think she was a "pit bull" and considered a vicious dog in the lovely state of ohio. :( But recently was told by the dog warden that she is. So now I am working on following the law with my locked fence and liability insurance and now have to be embarassed to walk my friendly dog in public with a muzzle. I am wondering if anyone is working on trying to get the law changed, I have been looking on the internet but everything I find is old. I was hoping to join a group working on removing pit bull breeds from the ohio laws so I can be a normal dog owner not labeled as vicious! I never paid much attention to the pitbull laws becasue they didn't apply to me, I guess I should have paid more attention :) Any info would be appreciated.
mibarra
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 28th, 2009, 7:54 am

Welcome, Michelle! I'm also in Ohio - Cleveland. Where are you located? I know Canine Advocates of Ohio (not sure of the website addy - google it and they'll pop up) is working on the BSL here. There is currently House Bill 79 pending which would remove pit bulls from the vicious dog language in the state ordinance.

"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » May 28th, 2009, 7:58 am

Welcome to the forum (sorry I don't have any info on BSL in your area) :wave2:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mibarra » May 28th, 2009, 8:30 am

Thanks I found this website

http://www.pittiesplace.com/ - 499k

I hope its ok to post it here. If everyone could go to the website and ask ohio legislators to support bill HB 79 I would really appreciate it. It will remove the part about any pitbull resembling breed to be considered vicious even if its not. It will get rid of the fact I have to have 100,000 liability insurance which costs 600 bucks a year and I won't have to be embarassed to take my friendly pooch out in a muzzle just to go to the vets office, which she doesn't mind at all.

Also to give you more info I also have two cats, Frodo who loves to play with my dog Kimo and Carly who wants nothing to do with her because she's older and doesn't like to play like Frodo. My dog Kimo is awesome with my two children: 5 year old Elijah and 2 year old Aliya. Of course I watch her, as I would any dog around the kids, not because of her breed but becasue she's an animal with sharp teeth. I also have to watch my cat Frodo who loves to play and attacks my childrens feet while under the covers when they move. He is more aggressive than my dog. :)

Now that I have a "vicious" dog I am wanting to get this law changed. I was naive once, yeah I thought pitbulls were bad, all you hear are the bad stories. But truely, that's all you hear about any breed. Growing up I was terrified of dobermans, the neighbor had two. One night they approached me while leaving the barn and I thought I can't believe I made it back to the house in one piece. But one was sitting on the porch, I stood there terrified and cried for my mom who opened the door and pulled me slowly into the house. The following summer my mom runs into a doberman puppy needing a home at a tupperware party. As my whole family are suckers for animals my mom brought it home. She ( Casey) was the best dog we ever had. And we have loved dobermans ever since. People are scared of what they don't know. If we could get them to spend 10 minutes with a "pit bull" they would see they are just another dog, not one to be labeled vicious just becasue of his pedigree.

Okay I've went on long enough. Sorry. Any help supporting house bill 79 would be appreciated.

SIncerely,

Michelle
mibarra
Just Whelped

Postby mibarra » May 28th, 2009, 8:31 am

Sorry I am in ottawa county in the city of elmore ohio
mibarra
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » May 28th, 2009, 9:30 am

:wave2: Welcome
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Patch O' Pits » May 28th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! :wave2:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby madremissy » May 28th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Hello and Welcome to PBT. I am sorry you are having to deal with BSL in your area.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » May 29th, 2009, 6:09 am

Welcome to PBT :wave2:

I guess you didn't know about their "locking jaws, huh? :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » May 29th, 2009, 8:31 am

Welcome! I to have an AB.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby kera09 » May 30th, 2009, 5:55 pm

welcome and sorry to hear about bsl! it sucks!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Introductions