Don't smile.

Postby SLS61185 » May 27th, 2009, 4:09 am

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... yahoorefer

By Thomas Frank, USA TODAY
Stopping driver's license fraud is no laughing matter: Four states are ordering people to wipe the grins off their faces in their license photos.
"Neutral facial expressions" are required at departments of motor vehicles (DMVs) in Arkansas, Indiana, Nevada and Virginia. That means you can't smile, or smile very much. Other states may follow.

LICENSE FRAUD: States take steps to cut down fake IDs

The serious poses are urged by DMVs that have installed high-tech software that compares a new license photo with others that have already been shot. When a new photo seems to match an existing one, the software sends alarms that someone may be trying to assume another driver's identity.

But there's a wrinkle in the technology: a person's grin. Face-recognition software can fail to match two photos of the same person if facial expressions differ in each photo, says Carnegie Mellon University robotics professor Takeo Kanade.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Carnegie Mellon University
Dull expressions "make the comparison process more accurate," says Karen Chappell, deputy commissioner of the Virginia DMV, whose no-smile policy took effect in March.

Elaine Mullen of Great Falls, Va., bristled at the policy while renewing her license until she heard the reasoning. "It's probably safer from a national-security point of view," she says.

Arkansas, Indiana and Nevada allow slight smiles. "You just can't grin really large," Arkansas driver services chief Tonie Shields says.

A total of 31 states do computerized matching of driver's license photos and three others are considering it, says the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. Most say their software matches faces regardless of expressions. "People can smile here in Pennsylvania," state Transportation Department spokesman Craig Yetter says.

In Illinois, photo matching has stopped 6,000 people from getting fraudulent licenses since the technology was launched in 1999, says Beth Langen, the state head of Drivers Services.

Contributing: Drew FitzGerald, Marisol Bello
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 27th, 2009, 8:01 am

That's so dumb! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » May 27th, 2009, 11:44 pm

I've always thought that is the worst place to go, the rudest, most unhappiest, hateful people in the world. lol Last thing I want to do is smile at those bitches anyway. Thing about it is, you can't NOT go there for bad customer service, so they have you.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BigDogBuford » May 28th, 2009, 12:36 am

Jenn wrote:I've always thought that is the worst place to go, the rudest, most unhappiest, hateful people in the world. lol Last thing I want to do is smile at those bitches anyway. Thing about it is, you can't NOT go there for bad customer service, so they have you.

I always make it a point to be annoyingly, startlingly nice to the grumpiest of DMV employees. It's like a game for me....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Jenn » May 28th, 2009, 9:36 am

:giggle: Me too
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to All the news that's fit to print